What's an easy Christmas recipe just for immediate family?

DDD

I agree that ham is probably the easiest. husband bought a half spiral ham (no idea what the name was but it was wrapped in foil and included a packet for honey glazing that I didn't use, lol) and it couldn't have been easier. Put the thing face down in a pan, set the timer and took it out thirty minutes before serving. Easy Peasy. Since it was precooked there was no reason to worry about it. Good idea. DDD

muttmeister

I do a pork loin. Bake it according to directions and baste it with this sauce: 1-8 oz. can whole berry cranberry sauce, 3/4 cup bottled barbecue sauce, 3/4 cup apple juice. Thicken with 1Tablespoon cornstarch disolved in 1 Tablespoon cold water. Use what's left over to pass with the meat. Looks festive, tastes great, and easy easy.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I either make carnitas or a pork loin roast with root veggies.

The carnitas starts with a pork loin roast cooked in the crockpot (using chicken broth, seasonings and some sliced jalapenos) for 6 hours. Once it's in there, we're FREE! For the sides, you just serve up the usual mexican go-to sides like cheese, sour cream, tomatoes/salsa, whatever you want, and flour tortillas.

For the roast, I combine brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots and celery in a bowl, toss with some olive oil and seasonings, surround the roast in a large roasting pan and put it in the oven - takes around two hours. When it's time to serve, easy-breezy - I just place it all on the table and H slices up the meat, we're good to go.

One pan cooking, my favorite!

trinityroyal

If you're dead set on having turkey, you can get the turkey breast only. Cook the same way you would cook the whole bird. It's much smaller and easier to manager.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I like the ham idea. Ham, a side (we love corn), biscuits... Later you can use the leftover biscuits and ham for wonderful sandwiches.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well, if you want REALLY easy - Nothing beats picking up a deluxe meal at your local deli counter and just re-heating according to instructions.

Our local grocery store lets you order just about any kind of fancy holiday meal with all the trimmings. You pick the meat, tell them how many people...done.

Way too pricey for a big group (in my humble opinion) - but might be fun to try for a small get-together.

InsaneCdn

The easiest part of ham is that everything else that goes with... can be cooked in the same oven. Squash. Sweet potatoes. Baked or scalloped potatoes. Apple crisp for desert... dump it all in, and go enjoy the guests.

If you have a really good pot-roast recipe... pick up a higher-grade cut at a top-notch butcher - costs more, but REALLY makes a difference if you're doing this for company... perhaps in the style of a Newfoundland boiled dinner? (I think that's similar to a New England boiled dinner... not sure, though)

(I hate last-minute prep stuff... I'd rather be visiting!)

OR... depending on how many guests are coming and the nature and ages of the group... the "cook only does the planning" meal of: make your own pizza. You provide the ingredients, including prepared dough or pre-baked crusts. Everybody else helps with cutting, grating, etc. and then everybody assembles their own or to share... (I have a double-oven plus a separate convection... I could do this for 12 or 14 people...)

shellyd67

I usually make a Ham with my famous glaze of gingerale, brown sugar and brown mustard (husband goes nuts for it) I also make a broccoli casserole, some sort of potato, deviled eggs and maybe meatballs in the crockpot ...

I throw a hodge podge of goodies out on Christmas day but we still manage to eat it as a formal dinner.

My broccoli casserole is a huge hit and everyone requests I make it to bring to parties and such ...

If anyone would like the recipe let me know ...

BusynMember

Thanks all. I'm getting great idea (and h;ungry too!)

Shelly, is your broccoli casserole made with mushroom soup and cheese? Maybe some crispy topping?

shellyd67

Yes it is MW Mom ... I crush Ritz crackers on top ...

I will post the recipe in case anyone would like to make it

1 10oz can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup of mayo
2 eggs
3 cups of xtra sharp cheddar cheese
1 bag of frozen broccoli florets

Precook broccoli unti tender. Mix all other ingredients together and pour over broccoli in a greased casserole dish. top with crushed crackers and bake for 1 hour at 350

This will serve 8 ... Just double all ingredients for a larger group

DammitJanet

We always do Ham at Xmas since we have turkey for thanksgiving.

With the ham we have sweet potatoes and our famous Brussels sprouts with bacon. Even people who dont like Brussels sprouts like these...lol. I have posted this recipe on here and it has become a staple in some family's holiday dinner's. It really is good.

We normally get a spiral cut ham too but not a really expensive one from a specialty store, we get it from the grocery store. You can get a Smithfield spiral cut ham with the glaze packet attached. That is the one Paula Dean advertises.

After the dinner is done, we can have ham sandwiches, then we cut some ham up for a ham and pasta dish, then we make baby lima beans with the rest.

DammitJanet

which one...the brussel sprouts? if so here it is:

You just get a couple of packs of frozen baby brussel sprouts from the frozen section and steam them according to directions.

Dice a small onion

Chop a 12 ounce pack of bacon into small pieces and fry it in a pan until almost crispy then add the onion so it will cook along with the bacon. add the bacon and onion mix (along with the grease) to the cooked brussel sprouts and serve. easy peasy..

P

PatriotsGirl

husband usually makes a prime rib roast for Christmas with potatoes and butternut squash but after reading that brussel sprouts recipe I am drooling here!!!! Looks like I am adding that one this year!!

He normally sautees green beans with almond slices...yum! :)

Shelly - would LOVE your ham glaze recipe, please... :)

DammitJanet

It surprised me so much that my kids started eating brussel sprouts when they were little because of that recipe and Keyana has been eating them since she could eat adult food...lol. Now Hailie wont eat them because her mother says ewwww every time we make them even though they are one of Jamie's favorite things we make for side dishes. LOL.