What's everyone reading these days?

Lothlorien

I just got done with The Reader by Bernhard Schlink. Short read...started it yesterday afternoon and was finished within a few hours. Very very good. They just made a movie based on it and it's supposed to come out this month.

Finally got the third book of the Inheritance Series, named Brisingr. I just started listeing to it. I think I'm bored with this series. It's really for young adult readers (then again, so were the Harry Potter books), but I want to finish the series.

Next up (I'm ripping it on my computer) is The Given Day, by Dennis Lehane....anyone read it?

SRL

I read Brisingr in fall. I liked it better than the first two books in the series but I'm ready for that series to end. He started writing the series when he was so young and I felt as if his writing style had finally matured.

I just finished reading the Twilight series. It totally sucked me in--I enjoyed the story but found some aspects of the writing lacking for me (pacing, uneven prose, etc).

I'm currently listening to Wuthering Heights. I've been having trouble getting into audiobooks that I haven't previously read so I read the first few chapters and picked up with the audio. It's a depressing story of the ultimate dysfunctional family with (so far) no happily ever afters but (sickly perhaps) I'm really liking it. I've been reading a lot of YA stuff and needed a change and this has done it for me.

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls on the recommendation of members on this site.
On the night stand is "Loving Frank: A novel" by Nancy Horan
It's about Frank Lloyd Wright.
Also "Misfits County" by Arthur Knight.

I need to get a new book. I was doing a book every few days but stopped when I got busy for the holidays. Last one I read was The Other Boelyn Girl. Very good book.

muttmeister

Before coming here to get on the computer I just finished Sweet Revenge by Diane Mott Davidson - one of the Goldie the Caterer mysteries. Last night I finished the new Patricia Cornwell book, Scarpetta. Also lately (since New Year's) I've read The Romanov Prophecy by Steve Berry, The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, The Twelfth Card (a Lincoln Rhyme mystery) by Jeffery Deaver, White Death by Clive Cussler,The Brass Verdict by Michael Connelly, and tonight I will start Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich. January is a good time to sit in my chair by the fire and read and I don't get much else done but that is OK.

Lothlorien

I read The Time Traveler's Wife several months ago. Have you noticed that every time travel book seems to name the heroine of the story Clair, Claire or Clare? I might be wrong, but I've read about 6 or 7 time travel books and there is always a Claire (or version thereof).

BBK....I really like The Other Boleyn Girl. If you liked that, you will likely enjoy The Other Queen...another Philippa Gregory book, but it's MUCH shorter.

SRL....audiobooks are great when you have mundane chores to do, like laundry or dishes. I've been going to the gym a few times a week and listening to books while on the treadmill and bike. It helps the time go by. I also listen while crocheting at night. I make blankets for my friends that are having babies (I've currently got FIVE friends who are due between Feb and July so I'll be busy). Doing something mundane while listening helps me to get through the mundane and also not falling asleep while listening. I also frequently wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. Listening to the books sometimes help me fall asleep.

dreamer

For Christmas, easy child signed me up for a book club and filled my entire commitment right off the bat. LOL. I have Sandford, Kellerman, Robin ook, Patricia Cornwell, Stephen KIng.......John Saul....At the moment I just began Robin Cook Foreign Body. Just finished John Sandford Heat Lightening and Phantom Prey. Also have been enjoying Dean Koontz a lot lately, and Tess Gerritsen. I aslso fill in with lots of various magazines.....And working with my son with The Outsiders, Holes and Tom Sawyer at the moment. My son is a guy of few words, and is struggling wondering why anyone cares if there are adjectives and adverbs etc. I think at the moment his idea of a story is...He was born, lived and died, The End. We also have Of Mice and Men and Lord of the Flies on the table. My son seems to prefer "How To" type stuff, he just wants to get straight and directly to the point. SO many people recommend Harry Potter, but noone in my house will touch Harry Potter anything. Not sure why. easy child has been reading my new books with me....and the whole family has been reading the books for my son hoping to have intense conversations trying to spark more interest for him.....husband and difficult child do not read, tho. ANd I do not watch TV movies or play videogames. LOL. I devour books. SO does easy child.

LittleDudesMom

I only have about 20 pages left of Scarpetta. I am also reading the book by Joy Bauer, Joy's Life Diet. It's a great no nonsense book. For total and absolute fluff I'm ready Convenient Marriage, Inconvenient Husband!!!!

Sharon

ctmom05

I am reading O Pioneers!" by Willa Cather. It's a story about Swedish immigrants in the Nebraska farm country at the turn of the 20th century. I chose this novel because I am interested in reading about homesteading and voluntary simplicity; both fiction and non-fiction.

O Pioneer! is an free online read. My husband gave me a hard copy book for Christmas that he knew I was interested in called Stories and Recipes of the Great Depression of the 1930's.

For some reason, I am enjoying reading more than I used to. I read a lot as a child, but tapered off quite a bit until recently.

M

ML

gvc mom lol.

I pretty much read manster's books with him. Hardy boys, etc. I do love to read though and look forward to hopefully having time when I retire :)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Yes, Loth, I have noticed the Claire thing as well - most notibly in "The Outlander" series by Gabaldon.

I just finished reading "The Tea Rose" and am now continuing the story in "The Winter Rose" both by Jennifer Donnelly. The books are fat and I am loving the story!

I am also reading "You: The Owners Manual" by Dr. Mehmet Oz & Dr. Roisen. Excellent! And another book waiting is one I gave to H by Dennis Leary, "Why We Su.ck" - H said it is very funny but that I may be offended by some of Leary's rants...I actually can't stand Leary but I love him in FX's "Rescue Me" series. Excellent writing and tv drama.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The next book in Outlander series is due out in September. I cannot wait!

Get out! I heard it was going to be another one in the John Grey series....I am so relieved to hear she's continuing the original series. It's been a long time coming. I will have to dig out the last book and read it before the new one comes out. Yippee!:D

TerryJ2

I liked The Other Boleyn Girl. I just finished White Oleander. Excellent! The movie was so-so. I loved the poetry and lyricism of the novel, and it didn't come through in the movie. Too telescoped. Same with-the Other Boelyn. Beautiful Cinematography, though.
I'm reading Mary Oliver poetry now.

Lothlorien

Jog....If you go to her website, there are excerpts from the new book. It's actually finished, but the editors are taking their sweet time with it.

DDD

I, too, really enjoyed The Tea Rose and just finished The Winter Rose in the wee hours of this morning. By accident I picked up The Girl In The Photograph and Northern Lights because of the last name Donnelly.....it is another author altogether. I enjoyed both books, lol. I think the authors first name is Gabrielle. Quick reads and pleasant.

Right now I have started Call Me Ted by Ted Turner. I'm finding it very interesting and well written. DDD

KTMom91

Finished The Night Villa by Carol Goodman last night. Also read The Lake of Dead Languages, also by Carol Goodman, and am looking for The Seduction of Water. Read What Would Jane Austen Do? for my online book reviewer...what a great story. It comes out in May, I think. It has romance and time travel...what else do you need?

N

Nomad

Loving Frank sounds very good to me! I find reading to be such a calming experience.

Muttmeister...The Time Traveler's Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger, is one of my favorite books!

Fran, I'm the one who first mentioned The Glass Castle here.

When you are done, if you don't mind, please post your reaction or pm me. in my humble opinion, it was a great book! Thanks.