What's everyone reading these days?

SRL

The Time Traveler's Wife just didn't do it for me. I heard rave reviews and it all got so repetitous for me that I couldn't wait for it to be over.

A time travel book I did love was Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. The main character travels back to Europe during the plague.

Numina

I'm just picked up the first in the 'The Hollow Kingdom' series.

For the Outlander fans, Sara Donati writes a tie-in series called 'Wilderness'.

I couldn't finish 'The Time Traveler's Wife' despite much effort. I just thought the characters were really boring.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I just finished the Ross Greene book...oh, shoot, the falling thru the cracks one...can't recall the name.

And Jenny McCarthy's Mother Warriors.

Also reading Angel Animals and Dewey, the Small Town Library Cat. Kinda silly, but a good fun read.

Dead Watch is next in line, and I'm looking for Phatom Prey and Heat Lightning.

ML, I'm reading a lot of books with Tink too. We got her a book for Christmas (a Tinkerbell book, fancy that) where they inserted her name, her sister's name, and 2 of her brothers' names throughout the book. Her first real chapter book!

She also loves the book by Nick Bruell, "Bad Kitty". :)

Woofens

Finally got the third book of the Inheritance Series, named Brisingr. I just started listeing to it. I think I'm bored with this series. It's really for young adult readers (then again, so were the Harry Potter books), but I want to finish the series.

Next up (I'm ripping it on my computer) is The Given Day, by Dennis Lehane....anyone read it?

I loved the Inheritance Books. The third one was hard to read, but I laughed and cried through out it. But I did the same with the Harry Potter Books.

I am currently reading The secrets of Angels and Demons, and the Bible Code books.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I finished "The Glass Castle". It wasn't quite the level of Frank McCourt in Angela's Ashes but it was an amazing story of children who triumph over adversity and mentally ill and irresponsible parents.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Fran, I loved Angela's Ashes. If you want another great story about
children who triumph over adversity and mentally ill and irresponsible parents
try Running With Scissors. I'm about halfway through it now - a hilarious memoir.

Prior to this book I read Bridget Jone's Diary. A quick, light read (I loved the movies). Next is White Oleander.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Genny, I was listening to that book on tape. I found "Running With Scissors" difficult and painful. I know that you aren't the first to tell me that it was funny but I just thought it was awful. I'm not sure why I found it painful to listen to. I ended up not finishing it. It made me sad to think that kids lived in such abuse with no one noticing. I just didn't get the humor as much as a need to be provocative, maybe?!? Again, I just seemed to miss what most people saw in that particular book.

trinityroyal

Just this afternoon I finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. He's the author of The Tipping Point and Blink. It was very good. Since I was only halfway through my train trip, I started Compulsion by Jonathan Kellerman, one of the Alex Delaware books. So far it's a ripping good yarn. I will probably stay up far too late reading tonight.

Trinity

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I read The Time Traveler's Wife several months ago. Have you noticed that every time travel book seems to name the heroine of the story Clair, Claire or Clare? I might be wrong, but I've read about 6 or 7 time travel books and there is always a Claire (or version thereof).

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm there's a Claire in LOST!!!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Genny, I was listening to that book on tape. I found "Running With Scissors" difficult and painful. I know that you aren't the first to tell me that it was funny but I just thought it was awful. I'm not sure why I found it painful to listen to. I ended up not finishing it. It made me sad to think that kids lived in such abuse with no one noticing. I just didn't get the humor as much as a need to be provocative, maybe?!? Again, I just seemed to miss what most people saw in that particular book.

Fran, before I read it I had read a review that touted it as very dark humor, so I was prepared...and coming from my wierd family, there were several items in the story that were not shocking at all. But I do know what you mean - after the fact, I found it to be a very sad and troubling story. And I read all the rest of his books (Augustus(or en) Burroughs) and had to stop because I began to feel overwhelmed by the severe disfunction. And the movie blew I thought. Didn't do the book justice. It came off as just strange.

Last edited:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I, too, really enjoyed The Tea Rose and just finished The Winter Rose in the wee hours of this morning. By accident I picked up The Girl In The Photograph and Northern Lights because of the last name Donnelly.....it is another author altogether. I enjoyed both books, lol. I think the authors first name is Gabrielle. Quick reads and pleasant.

Right now I have started Call Me Ted by Ted Turner. I'm finding it very interesting and well written. DDD

DDD, Northern Lights is the same author. She was writing adult fiction and Northern Lights was her debut in young adult fiction, based on stories from her youth as told to her by her grandmother. I really like her style of writing and weaving the story. It's so open and easy to read and keep up with the story lines. Sometimes authors get too involved in weaving together so many story lines and characters that it becomes confusing.

Genny

Worlds Best Nana
Fran,
I guess I wasn't as far into it as I thought...I read a part last night that I did find quite disturbing. I read his book of short stories first and so I knew that despite his disturbing childhood (and a stint in rehab to treat his resulting alcoholism) he is now a functioning, productive and relatively happy member of society. Bloody miracle! I can't imagine people "raising" their children like that in today's society. I'd like to hope that someone would step in and protect the kids.

BUT - it did happen, and I like nonfiction. The good, the bad, and the ugly of real life. I'm glad Augusten ultimately turned out okay; I'm curious if the others did. We are all shaped by our experiences. It humbles me to realize how lucky (i.e., sheltered) I've been.

:peaceful:
Genny

DDD

JoG thanks for sorting thru my Donnelly's..lol. The Gabriella book was really a pleasure too, so try it and see if you like it.

Fran, I also found Running With Scissors difficult. Reading about it before reading it I knew it was suppose to be seen as dark humor but I just plain found it painful reading.

by the way in this weeks Parade they had an entry that Gene Hackman has coauthored a few books. I picked up two at the library yesterday. Quickly scanning I don't think the Pulitzer is in his future ;) but I may be surprised. DDD

N

Nomad

I greatly enjoyed Angela's Ashes and
Blink.

Been meaning to pick up Outliers. Was concerned it would be too similar to his other books.