Whats the deal with Hoochie Mama costumes

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I thought last night there were not going to be any trick or treaters - usually by the time it turns dark, we have had a lot of kids already.

Then they came, started hitting 15 to 20 at one a time. I guess a lot of the parents got together to go in groups which is a good idea

Although I am not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, I was kinda stunned by girls, 11 or 12, dressed up in some kind of Hoochie Mama get ups. I don't think I have ever seen so much cleavage (or wanna be cleavage) or bare midrifs ever at the front door on Halloween.

I must be getting old...

Marcie

Fran

Former desparate mom
Aw, come on Marcie, when you and I were 11 and 12 we couldn't wait to be ready to wear bra's,make up,kiss boys and then go bra less. LOL. This was the 60's. We didn't dress up like that at Halloween but we tried like heck to hoist our dresses up to be mini's and become part of the 60's "free love" generation. For us it was a lifestyle thing. This is one night at halloween.

We are getting old. Soon you and I will be talking about how the next generation is going to ruin us since they aren't as hard working as we were. LOL.
It's our job as the old cantankerous curmudgeon's to complain about the young wild ones.
They get to live with their consequences just as we did.

susiestar

Roll With It
I was talking iwth the secretary at the elementary school yesterday and she said that it wasn't the gory costumes or the costumes with plastic swords that made them quit letting the kids dress up. It was the Hoochi Mama outfits. This was on the kids even as young as pre-k - that is FOUR year olds!! I saw some very disturbing costumes last year, and it was even worse this year. I just want to know what parent thinks that is an OK costume, with half theiryoung child's chest showing in pretend cleavage??

Stella Johnson

Where I live they always look like hoochies. My mouth dropped when I saw another girl in the neighborhood get off the bus last week.
She wore a blue jean skirt that BARELY covered her butt, skin tight low cut shirt, and high healed cowboy boots with a cowboy hate. :embarrassed:

I thought they were stricter in middle school about the dress code but apparently this little hoochie made it all day with no one noticing.

Boy I guess I'm getting old.

Steph

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I must have been born old. I never liked the Hoochie Momma look even when I was young. lol

What disturbs me is not so much the outfit.......but that the age you find girls wearing it is so darn YOUNG! Let's just say there were more than a few Moms I wanted to take a swing at during trick or treat. We're talking very little girls......not teens. (although I'm not fond of them doing it either)

witzend

Hannah Montana. Sorry, ladies. She's not what I'd want my 12 year old to emulate. And MySpace. Teen girls' MySpace pages are just frightening.

susiestar

Roll With It
My bro has had more than a few fits with his ex about his daughter's clothes. They have shared parenting and each have her half the week. Ex sister in law buys the low rise jeans and pants for her, then shirts that are skimpy. Not so much low cut, but fitting just right at too tight/too small. Niece HATES them both, but esp the jeans. She has no hips to hold them up and they slow her down cause she is always hitching them up.

Bro gets clothes for her at garage sales and thrift stores cause he makes a lot less than his ex. He buys clothes that fit but have room to grow. Always comfortable, but NOT in the latest fashions. More of a classic style. And he NEVER sends her to school with her hair down or unbraided. (I wish I could braid hair as well as he can!). He is CERTAIN he is going to have to deal with lice because my niece's butt-length hair is left unbraided some days. I don't blame him on that gripe.

anyway, it really IS a shame when you see 4yo kids in clothes more suitable to college kids. I think it should be criminal, but I am very conservative in this area.

Lothlorien

How about the Hoochie look with the rolls of chunk hanging over their pants? I see that all the time....I've got a spare tire that I'm trying to lose...but they seem very proud to walk around showing it off. Ick!

Fran

Former desparate mom
How one looks is not necessarily indicative of how one behaves. Lots of "good girls" get pregnant in high school and they kept their clevages and belly buttons covered.
Looking sleazy isn't the look any of us think is charming but acting sleazy is what is my concern. Playing adult games without having the ability to perform as an adult is more of a concern to me than current wardrobes.

Last edited:

TerryJ2

I don't particularly like it, but on 4-yr-olds, no way. I can understand it with-a tweenager.

I didn't see anything that was outright offensive, though. Lucky me. :)

F

flutterbee

It might not be particularly attractive to see a "roll" hanging over the pants, but I'd rather see a girl who has a positive self body image who is comfortable enough with her body to wear that than one who is never comfortable in her own skin. I struggled with body image for years and I've always admired women that can say, "Here I am, warts and all" and be comfortable with it.

Unfortunately, the girls I saw dressing provocatively are also emulating the adult behaviors at a very young age. They also seem to be willing to do anything to get and keep a boy's attention. That is what is distressing to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

donna723

"How about the Hoochie look with the rolls of chunk hanging over their pants?"

I think that's known as a "muffin top", and it's certainly not flattering! And even on the skinny ones, do they not know that every time they bend over a little, their butt crack is hanging out for the whole world to see? Is the "plumbers butt" look in style now? When my daughter was a kid, I wouldn't have allowed her out of the house in pants that revealed her hiney ... not that she would have ever done that. She'd have been mortified!

witzend

I think I'd rather see it on a four year old than a twelve year old. Four year olds are trick or treating with mom, and it's obviously a joke. I think I dressed as Mae West when I was about 6. It was silly more than anything. Twelve year olds are in pairs or packs of twelve year olds. Not a lick of sense between them.

I remember driving to get M from school one day 8 - 10 years ago on a hot day. There were two girls waiting to cross the street at a light, going the same direction I was. I was making a left, so in the center lane. They were about 11 - 12 years old. One was dressed a little over the top. The other had on cut off low rise shorts that were cut in an upward arc at the back, and the bottom of her buns were hanging out at the bottom of a prettily scalloped edge. The men driving by were gawking and it was lucky there wasn't too much traffic or there would have been an accident. I think it was at that very moment that I realized how incredibly dangerous it is for girls of that age (give or take a little) to dress like that. It's not on the girls, because they don't know better. But because they don't know better, they're not going to know how to handle some cute older guy who approaches them, either. Or how to get out of it if they are not smart enough to not go off with them.

Luckily, we all get to have our own opinions, I guess. But that sight sure shocked me into a different way of thinking about how I would prefer any tween or teen I care about to dress, and why.