What's the strangest thing...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
What is it with difficult child boys and sanitary napkins? Years ago I found some of mine in #2's closet.

When we still lived in Maine ALL the difficult children who hung out at our house had nothing but contempt for our neighborhood which was deemed by the entire community to be the snotty, rich and uptight part of town (that didn't stop them from driving ALL their children to our area for Halloween because we were the most generous with the candy!). To show his contempt for his neighbors, difficult child 2 went walking naked at 2AM. Well, one week we asked a young couple we had known for a while to stay at the house to keep an eye on things. When we got back we were missing some pillows and blankets. They were ON THE ROOF of our three story federal house. It seems that this couple had always wanted to have sex on the roof of a house in our neighborhood! We hadn't realized these two were also difficult children!

DammitJanet

Ok cute story about sanitary napkins but it didnt happen to me because I never actually gave dinner parties...lol.

A friend of my step-mom had a little 3 year old boy who was a bit precocious and she always just referred to such items as "mommy's napkins" when he asked her what those items where in the box under the sink.

Well one evening when they were having guests over for a dinner with husbands boss she asked her son to help her set the table. His job was to put the silverware out and the napkins. She gave him the silverware and then checked to see that he had done the job right. She already had all the plates and such on the table. The guests arrived about that time and she forgot to check up on him. He went to get the napkins. He went and got HER napkins from the bathroom. When they went to sit down for dinner, in front of every plate was a maxi-pad neatly placed! The mother was mortified and she grabbed them all up. She asked the boy...why on earth did you do that. He replied...well you told me they were napkins!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, husband was the soldier who used to go on "Femenine Hygeine Items" runs for other soldiers who were too embarrassed to buy them for their SOs.

Actually, we had the old fashioned pads with "tails" (to attach to a belt) in both the human and critter first aid kits. They made fantastic pads for pressure bandages.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I came across one of those belts at my Moms house and snapped it at her and my niece said WHAT IS THAT (making a face, almost certain she didn't want to know but curious to know) and so I told her and she said with the most disgusted look "OMG HOW DID YOU GUYS EVER LIVE BACK THEN? No cell phones, no microwaves, belts for your....you know...."

and I got to thinking......"Yeah HOW DID WE SURVIVE?" :confused: - you know....BACK THEN?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I had a huge bottle of hand soap with the little moisture beads in it under the sink that I used to refill the bathroom & kitchen bottles.

One day I went to refill them... And most of the soap was gone. OK, no problem, wrote it on the list. Got more.

TWO DAYS LATER, every hand soap dispenser in the house was out. OK... Weird... But husband had been working on the car. So I went to refill again.

The *NEW*, ONE DAY OLD bottle was almost empty.

I gave up... About three weeks later was doing the monthly dig through Onyxx's room (before the behavior got better)... Something smelled. She was at her mother's for the week.

Under her bed, near the back... Were both my 10x15 glass baking pans (I didn't notice THEY were gone), filled with hand soap... And dead frogs.

I think people in Indiana heard my scream (Stang, that was around May 2007... Didja hear?)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Well... I don't suppose they liked being CLEAN.

No one rinsed them off. NOT ME.

Oh, yes - finding my brand-new turkey baster under the futon downstairs when Onyxx was sleeping down there. I don't want to know.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
When I lived in Germany back in the early/late eighties and early 90s, there was a thriving 'green' movement.

People got away from using disposable diapers and the like.

Along with that, quite a few younger women didn't just go back to the old 'belt and napkin' method, they went all the way back to using "toweletten'(rags) for that purpose as well. You just pin them into your panties and off you go.

I suppose they had the right idea. Ready-made "supplies" are awfully expensive and cause problems in both drainage systems and in landfills.

With the sanitary towels, they could wash them and soak them in bleach, and then reuse them.

The problem is that leakage is a constant risk, odor and infections can be a problem, and quite frankly, you feel like you are wearing a DIAPER!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Okay, so I realize I'm about 300y.o. culturally. I had to use the cloth napkins, tied to a belt. I would leave them in a basin, hoping they would magically disappear. They didn't. My poor aged Polish grandmother washed them BY HAND. There's nothing like Catholic guilt and shame to get a teen to pay attention to her personal responsibilities. UGH!.

I hated when all the neighbors knew who had their period because the rags were hanging out on the line!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
And would any one like to comment on the "in your face" disrespect of the members of our former community? We were ridiculed and despised until Halloween and suddenly all these little kids were showing up to get candy!?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ok. Nice to know I'm not the only one who's son was certain tampons were torpedos. :rofl: I had to resort to locking them up for a while.

I buy my flatware at wally world. Maybe now that the kids are out of the house I'll consider buying a decent set again. Uh.....2nd thought, Travis still will come home on breaks.......Nope. Guess I'll wait awhile yet. lol

We had issues with Travis for years with shampoos, lotions, and liquid soaps. Now we never had much money with me being a stay at home mom......and I'd go to use shampoo ect that I'd just bought and it would be empty. If anything turned up empty in the house odds were that Travis had done it. So I staked out the bathroom..........Took a while but I caught him happily dumping it down the toilet!! Then there were times he'd dump it down the drain.

Do you know that to this day I haven't the slightest clue WHY?? I finally had to stop letting him go to the bathroom unsupervised until he quit for good.

That boy cost me a fortune.

Starbie.......the resealed icing containers had me laughing so hard I bout fell over. Travis would put the empty ones back, but it never dawned on him to attempt to reseal the foil. lol

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Oh the first one that comes to mind is the Murphy's Oil soap in my hand soap dispenser. Evidentally the soap was low and difficult child wanted to help (of all days to start). He filled it and of course when I pumped it into my hand the smell about knocked me over. His reason was it was the same color...cuz goodness knows you don't want to read the label.

We had the frosting theif in my house. However since I wasn't using forensics I can't identify which child did that one. No one ever claimed that incident.

difficult child 2 was quite the collector. He had old pencil sharpeners, tools of all shapes and sizes, notes that weren't his, and countless other items. But I tell you what not a single one of the backs of his remotes on the remote control cars was ever seen. He had some really bizarre things but I am guessing I am blocking them cuz I can't pull it up in my memory at the moment. I will have to think on it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
These are too funny. ThreeShadows...you poor thing.

I too suffer from missing silverware. I thought it would end when I became an empty nester, but nope.

The other thing that goes missing are my dish towels. I'll buy a dozen pack and all of a sudden I'm down to 2.

I had a food hider as well, although it wasn't difficult child. You didn't even want to look under her bed.

Abbey

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL... The frosting thief... Was definitely Onyxx.

See.. She'd take the decorating tubes - the colored stuff - and eat them.

So one Halloween, I'm getting stuff together so she & Jett can go to Grandma's and do cookies. But I can't find the icing! So I go hunting. I can't find it. I'm ready to go, but can't find the kids. So I go into Onyxx's room for something else... And there is an icing tube poking out from under her mattress... All three, Orange, Black and Green are there. I grabbed them, put them in the bag, and we went.

Got to Mom's house, handed Onyxx the bag and told her, you decorate with these, Jett can use the other stuff.

You should have seen the look on her face when she opened the bag...

The next time my purple icing was tasted, it got put back in the cabinet... But the huge purple smear on her neck kind of gave it away... I laughed at her.