What's up for Christmas? And what's your fav Christmas song?

BusynMember

Going to Chitown for Christmas and staying a few days. We have a few hotel rooms, but I'm staying at Princesses house overnight to spend extra time with my granddaughter. Daughter is cooking as she loves to cook and is a pastry chef. My neck collar will be long gone by then.

Christmas songs:
"I'll be Home for Christmas" (always makes me feel something...not sure what. Great song)
"Silent Night" (Beautiful. No explanation needed, I don't think)

A few songs that are not specific for Christmas but are played at Christmas and on Christmas song channels as Christmas songs. I love both of them.
Let There Be Peace on Earth (we sang this in my childhood in choir and I loved it then and still do)
Baby, It's Cold Outside (the one with Micheal Bebier??? (not sure of his last name) I can listen to this great song ten times in a row, but it has to be THAT version.

You?

Jabberwockey

We're going to Vegas! Planned it right after our son left town and said he was NEVER coming back. Yeah, that lasted barely months.

My favorite Christmas song is The Little Drummer Boy", the Vienna Boy's Choir version of it. Feliz Navidad is a good one too. So peppy!

KTMom91

We're spending Christmas Eve with Hubby's family and Christmas Day with my mom. Miss KT will not be coming home this year because she was here last year. We will hopefully get the tree up and decorated tonight, and see how long it takes before one of the cats knocks it over.

My favorite Christmas song is White Christmas. I love the movie. It's in my top 3.

Jabberwockey

Would have to talk to Lil but I'm not sure if we're even putting the tree up this year. He and his girlfriend are coming over tonight so we can give them their present and we will take them out for dinner, probably on Christmas Eve, but not much beyond that. Granted, it doesn't help that I'm getting between 10 to 20 hours per week in overtime right now.

Lil

Would have to talk to Lil but I'm not sure if we're even putting the tree up this year.

No, no tree this year. I did last year didn't I? I know I said I wasn't...but then I think put it up like Xmas eve because just seemed wrong not to. I'm sure I did now that I think about it, because otherwise the tree would be on the shelves.

But going out of town changes things. I did put outdoor decorations up yesterday, but mostly because there's a woodpecker trying to destroy our house and I needed something dangly to scare him off. lol Plus the neighbors were making us look like Grinches.

We got Difficult Child and girlfriend a blue ray player for their apt. Kind of a joint gift. I do plan on getting them some other small things; a book for him, maybe a scarf/hat/etc. for her, gift cards, etc. The blue ray player is being given tonight because they have to watch movies on her lap top right now and don't have cable or internet, so they may as well have the ability to play movies on the TV. The rest will wait...probably for the 23rd or 24th.

Then it's Vegas Baby! :xmasdancers:

Songs...I love Christmas music. Pretty much all of it. I love Christmas hymns and carols and silly songs alike.

My current favorite:

Lil

"I'll be Home for Christmas" (always makes me feel something...not sure what. Great song)

You know, that pretty much sums that song up for me too. It always makes me feel something, but I'm not always sure what.

I also love Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and The Christmas Song for kind of the same reason...but they don't have the same effect as I'll Be Home for Christmas.

BusynMember

Kind of a wistful sadness. The last time he sings "if only in my dreams" my stomach seems to drop and I feel like the mom of the child who is deployed overseas. Never fails to move me.

You live it up in Vegas!!!! :)

Jabberwockey

THAT is a matter of perspective. Maybe it doesn't help decorating for the holiday, but maybe it DOES help with current dynamics and decision making? Just saying...

You misunderstand, Lil getting on a step ladder to put up garland and lights around the door was a serious accomplishment. Just meant that there is less time for me to get on the ladder.

Then there is the fact that we've decided to be, I don't know, conscientious objectors??? to Christmas this year.

Lil

Kind of a wistful sadness.

Good description.

Lil getting on a step ladder to put up garland and lights around the door was a serious accomplishment.

He doesn't lie. I don't do ladders. I'm not afraid of heights, I rather like heights, but I have a thing about falling. Seriously, I can get creeped out stepping off a curb or just thinking about tumbling down a flight of stairs. So it was a big deal for me to climb that ladder yesterday.

It's all the damn woodpecker's fault!

Wiped Out

Staff member
We are just hanging out-just the four of us-difficult child, easy child/difficult child, husband, and myself. We are doing it really low key and plan on staying in for most of break relaxing and watching movies. How relaxing will depend a lot on difficult child but we're going to try.

I love Christmas music so it's hard to choose but if I have to I would pick "Mary Do You Know". I love the version that Lil posted!

SuZir

I have some Christmas lights up outside, but the weather has been so awful (warm, rainy and windy) that all the normal stuff is out of question. Really hope we would get snow and good, freezing temps before Christmas. Inside the house, partly again because the weather, I'm late with everything. It's really difficult to clean anything ready when people and dog (or soon two dogs, we are waiting to take home a puppy before Christmas) are bringing mud into the house. But I guess Christmas will come even without snow and to unclean house.

We will have a traditional Christmas, we have invited family, Santa Claus will visit. In our tradition Santa Claus actually does visit Christmas Eve, kids sing him few songs and he will bring the presents usually between dinner and coffee. Of course, dinnertime tends to change depending what time you will get the Santa Claus to come, we were little late in booking, so we got rather late time for our usual Santa so kids (some of our guests are still very young) have to wait quite a long time, it will be a long day.

Joy actually also took up few gigs as Santa so we have to get little creative so little ones do not see him in those clothes, they would surely recognize him and they still believe at Santa. He can probably go to in-laws to get ready, though I'm afraid he may need me to help with make up even if we try it few times beforehand. Joy should do well, he is good with kids, not afraid to perform and can even sing quite well, everything a good Santa needs. And of course money is real good for someone his age, about hundred bucks per 20 minutes visit and he has five of them.

My favourite Christmas songs tend to be hymns and carols, but of North American songs I really like Make Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, but only with older lyrics. I think i first time really heard them in Supernatural's Christmas special about a decade ago and they really hit me then:
"Someday soon, we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, well have to muddle through somehow"
Muddle through, indeed. That really hits all the melancholic cords in my soul.

By the way, if you have never seen that Supernatural Christmas Special I wholeheartedly recommend: melancholy, funny monsters and pretty boys, what is not to like?

And this one is probably my favourite Christmas Hymn:

susiestar

Roll With It
I have an Amy Grant Christmas album that I love, and we keep the radio on quite a bit listening to holiday music. I love some of the christmas hymns from my childhood and some of the funnier songs too. husband esp loves Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer and similar funny songs. I think the Rednec 12 Days of Christmas is hilarious - esp because I can name at least 10 guys who would be THRILLED to get those things, lol.

At some point we will get together at my folks, and likely go to see husband's parents. i dont know if we will stay overnight or not this year. I am working very hard at getting gifts stitched and made for everyone. Each year I stitch a nativity for my stepMIL as she collects them. I love to stitch for her because she truly loves and enjoys each and every one I have sent.

Lil

I love Christmas music so it's hard to choose but if I have to I would pick "Mary Do You Know". I love the version that Lil posted!

The Choir Mistress of our church was diagnosed with breast cancer soon after learning she was pregnant. She had to put off any treatment until the baby was born, after the Christmas season. While very pregnant, she sang this song for church - not a dry eye in the house. That was the first time I heard it.

She is quite well and now has two beautiful little girls.

will have a traditional Christmas, we have invited family, Santa Claus will visit. In our tradition Santa Claus actually does visit Christmas Eve, kids sing him few songs and he will bring the presents usually between dinner and coffee. Of course, dinnertime tends to change depending what time you will get the Santa Claus to come, we were little late in booking, so we got rather late time for our usual Santa so kids (some of our guests are still very young) have to wait quite a long time, it will be a long day.

I LOVE this! What a fantastic tradition! Not to mention quite a good seasonal business model, lol. Oh if I could only rent out @Jabberwockey for $100 a pop - You wouldn't mind growing your beard out and painting it white, would you Honey? :p

Only one time did I ever see little kids be surprised by "Santa" - a boyfriend dressed up and peeked in the windows before coming in and seeing his little nephews. They were so excited! Here we just tell them that he won't come if they're awake.

By the way, if you have never seen that Supernatural Christmas Special I wholeheartedly recommend

Just when I thought I couldn't love you any more. My FAVORITE TV show. (Those are some pretty, pretty young men.)

svengandhi

I like the Adam Sandler Hanukah songs - you know, "OJ Simpson, STILL not a Jew!"

As for Christmas songs, even though I am Jewish, I like "The Little Drummer Boy" and the Trans-Siberian Orchestra song whose name i can't remember. I also like the Sugar Plum Fairy song from the Nutcracker because oldest boy danced the part of Drosselmyer's apprentice when he was 8. I also really like "Pachabel's Canon" and the one about the tinkling of the bells with the little kids singing.

Happy listening to everyone, whatever your choices.