Whats up with the price of Milk??

gottaloveem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tawnya</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Now if someone could just figure something out to do with weeds, we'd all be better off! </div></div>

Why can't the deer eat the weeds, instead of the flowers? :thumb:

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Ugg...Dandilion Salad- brings up all kinds of embarassing memories of my grandmother going into everyones yard digging up their young dandilion's for our dinner salad, and having all of the kids in the neighborhood making comments..

I remember starting out when money was really tight cutting out coupons, scanning the weekly junk mail for the local supermarket sales, driving here and there to get a deal (before gas was almost 3.00 a gallon). Now I find myself doing that again when it comes to meat.

We eat a lot more pasta and rice now - Hamburger Helper has become staple. I buy Budget TV dinners or individual pizza's that are on sale for a dollar each to keep on hand if the boys want to munch. Soft drinks have been replaced with cans of lemonade, gatoraide that they can mix up if they are thirsty. Egg Salad is pretty much in the fridge 24/7 for sandwiches. Cant remember the last time any TBone steaks have seen the inside of the freezer. Fresh veggies are rare - lots of frozen ones in the fridge though. And always bags of Edamame for snacks for SO and I.

Marcie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My Mom used to eat dandilion greens, cooked or in salad. Blah!

However wild onions are rather yummy. lol They also happen to be rather rampant around here.

We can go thru almost 2 gal of milk a day. Our family has always been huge milk lovers. My kids prefer it over any other drink, believe it or not.

I'm sooooo glad I'm not the only one gripping about the horrid price of milk. Ours is right at 4.00 a gal. Lucky us, we're out in the boonies but considered a Tourist Area, so our prices are off the wall during the warm months. Argh!

I've told everyone that only Aubrey is allowed to use milk as a beverage. Anyone else caught drinking it will be likely to find themselves with a missing arm.

It's helping quite a bit.

Food prices are also going way up. Meat is awfully high. Fresh produce can make me stroke if I can't find a sale. :surprise:

I save money by making meals that last more than 1 day with leftovers.

Meatloaf - turns into meatloaf sandwiches the next day

Potroast with trimmings - turns 2 days worth of beef hash

Potroast with mushroom gravy - turns into 2-3 days worth of beef and noodles

Stew meat - turns into at least 4 days worth of Veg Soup or Beef Stew

Baked whole chicken - turns into 2 days of chicken and noodles OR 2-3 days of chicken hash

Spagetti - at least 1 day of left overs

Spagetti and cheese - 2 days of left overs (a kids fav with added cut up hot dogs)

Cheese burger Macaroni - 2 days if homemade (and tastes better)

Pork roast/loin - 2-3 days of pulled pork sandwiches YUMMY! lol

These are what I can think of at the moment. But as you can see, I get ALOT of left overs. lmao It cuts down on cooking and stretches meat and other foods really far.

Course you could always cook my Mom's old stand by: Fried potatoes, mac and cheese, and sweet rice. :smile: Very nutritious and filling poor man's meal. It was a fav of ours growing up. (good thing as we ate it OFTEN) It's also one of my family's fav meals. lol

LOVE LOVE LOVE meat loaf sandwiches the next day.

My mom has told me stories of dandilion greens in their salad as she was growing up. Ew. Their other big thing was zucchini blossoms. The yellow flowers. Fried, and then on a sandwich.

So here she was, a teen, at the beach with the family, and her b/f was allowed to come with. Lunch time. Does she get to hand her b/f a pbj sandwich like a normal person? Noooo.

"Here jack. We took the flowers off the top of the zucchini, sauteed them, and made a sandwich out of them. Try it!"

Lothlorien

They are a delicacy! You see, once you take the flowers off, you don't get a zucchini. husband's grandmother used to come to his house before his mom got home and she would take all her zucchini flowers off. She used to get so mad! I thought it was just an Italian thing. Is your family Italian?

donna723

Has the price of eggs gone up anywhere else but here???

:nonono:

I went to the store this morning and the price of a dozen eggs was fifty cents more than it was just a week ago! Is there a chicken shortage now too????? Sheeeesh!

F

flutterbee

My aunt's ex-husband worked for Borden way back when and he said that milk is good for 5 days after the pull date. Of course, that depends on the store properly storing it. I've had Kroger milk taste funny right off the shelf...like it hadn't been refrigerated right away. My mom has had that happen so many times, she quit buying Kroger milk.

crazymama30

I found ground beef for .88/lb. It had more fat than what I normally buy, but how could I not buy it? I hope it is ok. I look for coupons for bogo (buy on get one) for eggs. Milk is really spendy. I save some on bread by going to the "bread store". I don't know if that is what they are called all over. It's kinda like a day old bread store for a large bakery, and I buy several loaves and freeze most of them. I just really have to watch the sales. A while ago a store had boneless pork loin on sale really cheap, so I bought a bunch and cut it up into loin chops. Kids got so tired of those. They will be happy to see the ground beef.

donna723

I'm still trying to make up my mind on the ground beef. The cheaper kind has a lot more fat that just melts away when you cook it, so you're left with less meat.

F

flutterbee

I have to buy ground sirloin (90% lean) and the cheapest I've found it is $3.89/pound. Technically, I'm supposed to have 96% lean according to the American Heart Association, but I can't find it anywhere. I did find 92% lean, but at $4.79/pound. Almost a dollar more for 2% less fat didn't work for me, so I didn't buy it.