When bedwetting isn't an accident

TerryJ2

Excellent! Very interesting.

Irritating that people commented that psyllium is better--I come from the school of "Try One Thing And if it Doesn't Work, Try Something Else." :) It's the concept that an impacted colon is related to bedwetting, then, what to do about it. If the kid has a problem with-Miralax, try psyllium. Sheesh.

Here's a link if anyone is interested in the difference: http://treato.com/Miralax,Psyllium+Husk/?a=s

Pink Elephant

One of my sons was a TERRIBLE bed and pants-wetter! He daytime trained by age 3-1/2 years, yet continued to (mostly) bed-wet until he was age 7. Nighttime diapers remained in order for him until he outgrew the largest size baby rubber pants.

Back in those days... the 1980s, bedwetting was bedwetting, all in a days work for an average mother. No drugs, no magical solutions, no nothing, you just dealt with it.

Pink Elephant

While we're on the topic of, did anyone else go through an extended period of dealing with nighttime diapers in their home?

Was it cloth or disposable in your home?

kim75062

I'm currently still buying "big kids" disposables. There the next size up from the biggest pull-ups. My son is 6 (7 this summer) and still a night time wetter. Some days he's dry and most days he's not.

I don't worry about it, eventually he will grow out of it or get a job and buy his own lol he takes care of it all himself though.

He's able to put them on himself and every morning if he was wet he takes it off and gets in the shower. When he's done he checks the sheets, if there's a wet spot he strips his own bed and wipes it with a Lysol wipe.

He has tried to wash his own sheets before but I prefer not to have to clean up the sudz from all over the garage so that's still a mommy job :)

kim75062

Oh his mattress is still in the factory plastic bag for the last 2 years. We never took it off because of these accidents and he would freak out and refuse to ever sleep there again (he has in the past) if the mattress itself got "full of pee germs" (wet and stained).

Pink Elephant

I'm currently still buying "big kids" disposables. There the next size up from the biggest pull-ups. My son is 6 (7 this summer) and still a night time wetter. Some days he's dry and most days he's not.

I don't worry about it, eventually he will grow out of it or get a job and buy his own lol he takes care of it all himself though.

He's able to put them on himself and every morning if he was wet he takes it off and gets in the shower. When he's done he checks the sheets, if there's a wet spot he strips his own bed and wipes it with a Lysol wipe.

He has tried to wash his own sheets before but I prefer not to have to clean up the sudz from all over the garage so that's still a mommy job :)
Kim. Same went for my son, 99% of the time he would wet through the night, the other 1% he was good.

I never worried about it overly, but when my son got to be in kindergarten an grade one and was still wetting, that part made me nervous. As far as discipline or punishments went for accidents, I never spanked him for it, unlike a few of my friends who were strict regarding wetting and accidents in their homes.

I never went the course of disposable diapers at any point in time when my kids were babies or toddlers... always cloth diapers in my home, and back then cloth diapers meant safety pins and rubber pants, so that's what I continued with after dear son daytime trained, though he hated wearing the rubber pants.

Disposable training pants and pull-ups hadn't been invented yet, though I'm so utterly old-fashioned I probably wouldn't have tried using the throwaways anyhow.

When diapers no longer were an option, I went to using the old vinyl-padded changing pads to line his bed with. Being waterproof and large enough to cover a good area where his rear-end was situated on his mattress, they worked great in keeping wetness away from the mattress.

Of course, washing was constant... pj's, crib and bed sheets, undies, but shortly after his 7th birthday the wetting stopped, just like that. Yes, there was a few more accidents, but by the time he reached age 8, bed and pants-wetting was in the past.

Pink Elephant

Oh his mattress is still in the factory plastic bag for the last 2 years. We never took it off because of these accidents and he would freak out and refuse to ever sleep there again (he has in the past) if the mattress itself got "full of pee germs" (wet and stained).
I actually used my sons old baby crib mattress as his bed mattress. The crib mattress was the same size as his bed mattress and was plastic on the outside, so that helped prevent accidents from staining and soiling the mattress, though the crinkly plastic on the outside of the mattress didn't do a lot for dear sons ego. Mind you, neither did the diapers and rubber pants.

My word, do I ever feel old knowing I used cloth diapers with safety pins on my kids! LOL!

kim75062

lol don't feel old. I'm not old my any means, not even middle aged really but I used cloth diapers on my first one through the baby years. It was more cost effective and being a teen mom $$ was tight. I was lucky enough to not have to use pins, grandma bought her "fancy" ones with Velcro lol.

I will admit over time I have become way to busy and way to lazy to deal with cloth diapers now. I would change and wash over 100 of them at work each night at the nursing home and couldn't stand the thought of washing anymore by the time I got home. Plus the cost of disposables is 50 cents a night because I buy the case at sams club.

Pink Elephant

lol don't feel old. I'm not old my any means, not even middle aged really but I used cloth diapers on my first one through the baby years. It was more cost effective and being a teen mom $$ was tight. I was lucky enough to not have to use pins, grandma bought her "fancy" ones with Velcro lol.

I will admit over time I have become way to busy and way to lazy to deal with cloth diapers now. I would change and wash over 100 of them at work each night at the nursing home and couldn't stand the thought of washing anymore by the time I got home. Plus the cost of disposables is 50 cents a night because I buy the case at sams club.
Good on you for going the route of cloth, Kim. Goodness, yes, so economical it was, and the fancy Velcro ones nowadays are so grown-up compared to the pin-on variety, and it's okay if you call me crazy, but I'm one of those moms who actually liked using pins. LOL! Got that from babysitting!

Cloth diapers at the nursery home where you work/worked? I think that's so commendable! Nice to know excessive waste is being reduced through old-school way of thinking (and using), and more healthy, too.

kim75062

Yes it was a nursing home and at night when the residents were in bed they used cloth diapers and bed pads. It helped their skin breath so much better then the plastic lined inserts used durn the day time.

Pink Elephant

Yes it was a nursing home and at night when the residents were in bed they used cloth diapers and bed pads. It helped their skin breath so much better then the plastic lined inserts used durn the day time.
Well that's just great. About time hospitals and care homes went that route, and you're right, more healthy for the skin.

My kids still got diaper rash every now and then, but I think with cloth they stayed more comfy, and the household budget thanked me for using cloth. Plus, being able to reach for a clean fresh diaper whenever, no matter what time of day was a huge sell for me. Scrambling to buy a pack of disposables first thing in the morning or at closing time at the end of the day never struck me as being much fun.

As an added plus, grandma (my mom), being super old-school and all, loved babysitting at our house, BECAUSE I used old-fashioned diapers.