When did I lose my life? ...

ShakespeareMamaX

difficult child's upgraded to touching kids, throwing chairs...he threw 5 kids to the ground in the matter of one recess. I kept him home from school the next day just to prevent him from getting suspended. Luckily, the school went for it.

If you guys want an update on my health, check the healthy living forum (I think that's what it's called). My brain and body are shot.

I've lost my life. My car is dead. I can't work. I can't drive even if I had a car. My child is spiraling down, again.

At least, my daughter pooped in the potty for the first time, the other night.

Hooraaaay for poop.

ShakespeareMamaX

Thanks, everyone. I'll keep the updates coming. I wish I could figure out what's wrong with my son and I...

I can say, there's been a lot more hugging in this house. <:}

Jena

hi

i'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with-him. and hooray for your little one. i would say if that drug didnt' work try another, go back and get re evaluated. we've been through 7 me'ds and none have worked yet.

i just keep on trying. it's not easy not at all.

just take a deep breath if you can and try to find the positive in it, i know it's so very hard at times.

good luck

Jen

crazymama30

I would try a different mood stabilizer. Many of them work differently. We had bad experiences with Depakote and Lithium, but a good one with Lamictal. I think difficult child has been on over 10 medications, 2 of which worked.

Hugs, I hope things look up for you soon.

tammyjh

Hooray for the poop! I have a 2 1/2 yr. old son and he poops in the potty regularly so I agree that its quite an accomplishment when they start doing this. Congrats to you and your daughter.:D

So sorry that you are dealing with so much and that your son is spiraling downhill. :sad-very:

Sending some sunshine your way :sunny:

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
SMX, re: your signature, where you list diagnosed with ADHD,Anx/Panic D,Insomnia, Nightmares, Hoarding,Bipolar. Depakote Lamictal Xanax Iron.

First, are you saying that you and your difficult child seem to cycle through similar symptoms (like nightmares) at the same time? Just curious...

Also, how bad is the anxiety/panic disorder? I'm diagnosis'd the same (ADHD & Anx/Panic D). My doctor says that for some folks (not all), those two disorders go hand in hand. Something about the fact that ADHD keeps your brain from properly processing all the stimulus from your environment, and Anx/Panic is a stress reaction to a real (or perceived) threat stimulus in your environment.

When your brain is pre-disposed to kicking off a panic attack, and you have ADHD distracting you, it's a recipe for constant anxiety (exactly what I had). Sometimes bad (as in go to a room and curl up in a corner for 30 minutes), sometimes low level (general nervousness and anxiety). But it was always there.

I am not a doctor, so take this with a salt shaker: my doctor told me to get the ADHD and PD under control, THEN see what's left to deal with. Those two items alone can cause more havoc with your system than a crack addict with an uzi.

For me, I'm on Klonopin and Xanax; Klonopin raises my stress reaction threshold (i.e. it takes more "stress" to actually push me over the edge). I also have Xanax to beat down any panic attack that actually happens (i.e only for those situations where things get so bad that I'm pushed even beyond the artificially high threshold from the Klonopin). Between that and a good ADHD medication (Focalin), most of my other symptoms have subsided.

After finding the right ADD medication and dosage, I had less insomnia and started getting much better sleep (except for when McW looses his friggin mind and acts out :tongue:). I now get a good night's sleep, and I actually have more energy (and am less depressed) because I'm not suffering from a constant, low-level anxiety attack.

Now, that's just me; in no way am I trying to "diagnose" you, but maybe you'll find some of this helpful. For me, I had two major players (ADD and anxiety) that keyed the rest of the other symptoms.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth...

Mikey

smallworld

With all due respect to Mikey's opinion on the medications, I have a different view based on my kids, their dxes and their medications. SMX has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, which trumps all the other dxes in the treatment department. Once the bipolar disorder is adequately treated, then you see what residual symptoms remain. We found that once my son's mood disorder was treated with two mood stabilizers and an atypical antipsychotic, his ADHD-like inattention and anxiety symptoms improved to the point that we no longer needed to treat them individually. Frequently, the medications that treat ADHD (stimulants) and panic disorder (SSRI antidepressants) actually destabilize the patient with BiPolar (BP) and make the symptoms much, much worse. This is all my long way of saying that it really does depend on the primary diagnosis in making medication choices.

Mikey

Psycho Gorilla Dad
Smallworld: thanks, and I don't disagree. Like I said, I'm not a doctor, but I've suffered from panic attacks most of my life. My current doctor is the only one that has ever tried a two-pronged treatment, i.e. raise the stress reaction threshold, then have an "emergency" medication for anything bad enough to still cause an attack. Many other people I've met haven't heard of that plan, so I was only offering it for consideration.

And the sensory/processing issues with ADHD can make Anxiety Disorder worse, and can cause more frequent panic attacks.

Also, I don't disagree about BiPolar (BP). Early on, that was the big debate with McW, BiPolar (BP) or ADHD? They masquerade as each other quite frequently, and only a qualified doctor can determine which is which (or something else entirely).

But like I said, my situation is my own. If someone else can gain from my experience, I'm happy to share. Thanks for keeping me honest and clarifying my post. I really wasn't trying to confuse anyone...

Lord knows I'm confused enough for ten people, and I don't need to spread it any further :crazy1::crazy1::crazy1:

Mikey

ShakespeareMamaX

Can I just say thank GOD it's Feb vacation. I'm doing horrible health-wise. Look in healthy living for an update on that. My son is fantastically raging, but I don't have to worry about suspensions this week. Yay! The bad thing is, I can't drive, so I have no idea how I'm supposed to get him (or myself) to doctors appts. Fun...

On top of greatness, the psychiatrist didn't fax the new Rx for my difficult child to the pharmacy. He ran out of medications today and upon talking to the pharm, they've heard nothing in terms of any Rxs. *sigh* Tomorrow should be fun.

I'm tired, so I guess I'm signing off, now. I'll keep you updated. :)