Jody

1 years old. Explosive temper tantrums that would last hours and hours. Ran around the house extremely hyper. She never sat still ever, for a story, watch a tv show, coloring, nothing, she might squat and scribble for a second but not for any longer. House looked like a train had come thru it every night. Night terrors, that lasted until her tonsils and adnoeds were taken out at age three. Never a good sleeper and extremely, I mean extremely moody. Definately hard to redirect.

trinityroyal

difficult child: when he was about 5 and he started interacting with other children his age at school. It really highlighted that his functioning wasn't neurotypical. Other things had shown earlier (slow to talk, slow physical development, issues with eating, hyper-sensory), but we didn't recognize it for what it was.

Little easy child: when he was about an hour old. He managed to get both arms loose from the nurse's tight swaddling and toss his little knit hat over the side of the bassinet.

Tyrantina: Once she was home from the NICU, when she was about a month old. Lots of digestive and breathing issues, hyper sensory, hyperactive, and seems to have Aspergers tendencies (harder to gauge with girls, but I'd lay odds on it).

Tyrannosaur: During his birth. Both he and Tyrantina were born by C-section. After Tyrantina was delivered, Tyrannousaur stashed himself high up under my rib cage and didn't want to budge. The doctors had quite a time getting him to come out and greet the world. He is hyper sensory, hyperactive, and shows all the textbook signs of Aspergers.

Trinity

shellyd67

I noticed when difficult child was around 5 years old. I mainly took notice to his social interactions.

He would not share, always wanted to be first, was so incredibly bossy, did not follow rules and so on and so on.

Then things just went from bad to worse.

We then started the ball rolling with evaluations and such.

jal

Around the age of 2 1/2. He became a nightmare at daycare (he started daycare @ 4 months). Tantrums, bossy, wanting to be first, defiant, hitting, biting. Learned how to get sent home from daycare and then went back the next day, kicked the director and said "go home now?". Went through 5 daycares. He hasn't been in a daycare since age 5. He would rage, destroy a room, throw chairs. He was a perfect infant though. C-section birth, breastfed like a champ and was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks in his own room.

As he got older though...would flit from one activity to another, nothing would hold his attention. Loud, loud, loud. He wouldn't listen. He was so frustrating.

Now after 7 years and many medication trials, diagnosis's (wrong ones), multiple evaluations and interventions he is doing very well. So much so that he went on his first camp overnight last night and husband and I are texting each other about how much we miss him. It used to be a relief to get some time away. I find my self surprised at how much I am missing him and its only one night. Go figure. He's just pretty much been a joy of late (and its taken a long time to get here).

CrazyinVA

Staff member
With Oldest, it was within the first few months. She was an extremely colicky baby, screamed every night. Later, she threw some prety incredible tantrums as a toddler, refused to go to bed at night, and got kicked out of day care at age 4. The first real "diagnosis" of "possible bipolar" came at age 11, after trying to jump out a window with "prednisone-induced psychosis" (she was taking it for her Crohn's at the time- she was diagnosed/hospitalized with Crohn's at age 9). Docs never did get her moods under control, she got only intermittent psychiatric help because they were too busy trying to keep her Crohn's at bay. She gave the nurses in the peds unit at our local hospital a run for their money; they sometimes had to call security on her when she'd go into rages in her hospital room. I spent a lot of time crying in the parents lounge down the hall as I listened to her screaming at the staff.

With Youngest, she started throwing massive, screaming, hitting rages at age 3, shortly after their dad and I split. She began wetting the bed on purpose (she'd call down to me, "mommmmy, I wet my bed!") , and it took hours to get her to sleep some nights. With the help of a good therapist things got better for awhile, until about age 9/10 when she began talking about hearing voices and going into rages again. I think it was no coincidence that that was when Oldest was at her sickest with the Crohn's; Youngest later said that she made the voices up. The rages were very real, though, and she was first hospitalized at age 11 after pulling a knife on me, and diagnosed bipolar as well.

Fun times.

JKF

I think I noticed pretty much right away. difficult child was 7 weeks premature. He never slept. Always wanted to be held. Around the time he was 2 he started having terrible tantrums but I think it was when he was 4 that I really started to notice that something was really wrong. He had (and still does) the worst rages. He would cry and scream and throw things when told no. He would hit and bite. He was only affectionate when he wanted something. He never slept and when he did it was only for a few hours at a time. Still him to this day only now he's bigger and much scarier to deal with! :(

Wiped Out

Staff member
We noticed right away with difficult child. He was born 3 months premature and he hated to sleep!!! He was also really finicky with his bottle. I remember at the time with all of the sleepless nights how I said I would never forget how tired I was at that point in my life!! Little did I know.

Others noticed right away as well. Everyone that met him said he was the most active child they had ever seen!!!