when do we let go?

hannahsmomjulie

It's been a long time since I visited last. Things were crusing along well until Hannah turned 18, now it's round after round of internet boyfriend. There have been three times so far that she has decided to go to another state to live with her boyfriend. We talked her out of it the last three times, but here we go again. She'll be 19 in April and I'm sooooo tired of fighting her.

She says he's 20, etc., yadda yadda - how do I know he's not some pedophile? How do I get through to her. She is desperate to get out of our house but wants a quick and easy way out. She doesn't like our rules, she doesn't like having to deal with siblings.

When do you let go?

happymomof2

Wish I had some great words of wisdom for you... but I don't.

Would like to give you some huge ((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

Hang in there.

WiscKaren

You never let go -- even when you let go. I'm sorry that you are going through this. You can only hope and pray that she makes the right decision and you and I both know, that decision would be not to meet a stranger (aka "boyfriend") over the internet. Technology is good, but sometimes, it causes more problems than what is is worth.

With that said, you have really done all you can. You have told her about the risks and how you feel about it. However, in the eyes of the law, she is now an adult and can basically do what she wants, even if that means meeting strangers.

My son "threatened" me many times saying he was going to go to Texas to meet a girl he "met" over the net (we live in Wisconsin). Like you, I voiced my opinions to him. He never did go, thank goodness! But if he had, there wasn't much I could have done because he was of age. I would not have given him any money though to go, that is for sure.

Wishing you the best of luck. Please keep us posted.