When do you take it all down???

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
News Years???
I start on 1/1 Get it out, Get it down.... I am packing it up right now getting the last of it cleaned up!!!
It wasn't that great... K is doing so bad I want to try and get her back to, I don't even know. But out of the Holiday thing...

Bye Bye little decorations and lights!!!
FALALALLA!!!!

But I did pack up all of the cards and lovingly look at each one.... thank you, the best part of my Holidays!!!!

Lothlorien

I will take it down this weekend. The general rule is supposed to be the Epiphany (when the wise men came to visit), which is January 6.

One of my pet peeves is seeing Christmas lights all lit up on someone's house two or three months after. If you can't take it down, at least unplug!

Wiped Out

Staff member
I wanted to start taking it down today. husband said it is so sad when the decorations come down so he wants them up til the weekend-fine by me as long as that means he'll help and he will.

Probably during next week.

This weekend is my brother's birthday and I am having him over for cake. His little birthday gift is all by itself under the tree.

meowbunny

I take outside stuff down January 6. The inside takes about an additional week (I have a tendency to go overboard).

I really hate taking any of it down. I love Xmas decorations. The trees (yes, I have 2 of them up this year -- usually have 3); the pics wrapped like presents; the nativity; the Santas and angels all over; the lights; ALL OF IT! Besides being a lot of work, I get really sad when all the cheer is being removed.

SRL

Most years I feel like starting on Dec. 26th. I leave them up longer now for the kids.

This year I put the kids up early in December but didn't do my pretty upstairs tree until the 23rd. I'm not nearly as desperate to get it packed up as usual.

goldenguru

I usually put everything away on January 2nd. The official end of the 'holiday's in my opinion. It is always a bit melancholy. Yesterday was no exception. *sigh*

Marguerite

The official time to take it all down is generally January 6 ("Twelfth Night") but a lot of us here are setting a new benchmark - take it down when the advertising begins for Easter. THAT began on Boxing Day (26 December) in some areas - hot cross buns and Easter eggs, on the shop shelves.

I think there's something very wrong about that.

Marg

Kathy813

Staff member
I took down all of the inside stuff last Sunday. I like to have everything down before New Years so we start out the new year back to normal.

I also like to have it down before I start back to school (which was yesterday). :teacher:

Now as far as the outside lights ~ that's husband's job and they are still out there and will probably be there for the forseeable future.
:rofl:

It got unseasonably cold here this week. We didn't even get above freezing yesterday which for Georgia is very cold. So I don't think that husband is in a big rush to go outside and take the lights down.

:blizzard: :cold:

But we don't turn the lights on anymore.

~Kathy

Fran

Former desparate mom
We started to take things down Jan. 1st but the tree will have to wait until the weekend. I need a long ladder and prefer for husband to take the top off the tree. It will be a few days before all the collectible type stuff is packed and put in storage for next year.

I love the decorations and really hate to take them down. We did unplug the outside lights until they can be removed and stored.

tiredmommy

My stuff is sitting in a huge pile in the basement, just need to do an orderly pack. I take it down in layers. I started early with the tree this year because it was becoming a fire hazard.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I take down the decorations the weekend after New Year's day. This year will be so easy as I've done little decorating & only put up a table top tree.

In years past, it would take me hours - sometimes a couple of days to take everything down.

KFld

I always un-decorate on New Years day. I like to get it done before I go back to work. I just hate how bare everything looks when you first put everything away. It's been two days, so I'm used to it now, but it depresses me at first.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
I'm glad to see I'm not alone (once again!) in feeling sad when all the decorations come down. I almost always take the tree out on New Years Day, but left it up this year! Will begin the un-decorating tonite.

Peace

happymomof2

Took all inside stuff down yesterday. I am with Kathy - too stinking cold here today to worry about the outside lights. Suppose to warm up this weekend - will do it then. They won't be turned back on.

I would really love to have a PJ day today. Will have to run out later - trip to store, maybe. I don't do cold weather very well. Told husband if we ever had to move up north he better have a dang good job because in the winter I will be a hermit!!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lothlorien</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will take it down this weekend. The general rule is supposed to be the Epiphany (when the wise men came to visit), which is January 6.</div></div>

Ditto - January 6th is when I keep them up till and since this year January 6th is a Sunday, they will come down that day as well. Have to wait for the 3 Kings to get here with a little somthin' somethin' for us all!

I wish I could just leave up the mantel lights and greens - they looks so pretty. I do keep a strand of lights around the perimeter of my living room ceiling. I plug them in sometimes throughout the year just because.

Took it all down on Saturday (12/29). It is kind of sad and a lot of work, so we try to get it over with quickly, like pulling a tooth. We are still stepping on/picking up the odd pine needle, which is likely to continue until next Christmas or we move out.

Kathy813

Staff member
Did anyone watch Wifeswap last night? One family kept their Christmas tree up all year so they could give their teen a present every day of the year because she was so "special."

I would substitute another "s" word ~ spoiled!

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
I didn't put up anything - okay I confess I found a little $1.00 tree and some miniature ornaments for .49 at a tag sale - so I got it and we had that.

I picked it up, put it on the shelf and I think this year I'm going to leave it out - just a small reminder to get started the right way for next year - and because well - dangit - when Dude finally does get a home visit - I will tell him I left it up for him too.

I guess if it makes you sad to pack it all back up - whats wrong with leaving a little something out to remind you all year long of Christmas?