When it Rains!

Jabberwockey

Oh, I wouldn't mind going to Pennsic just once. Just for the experience. Honestly though, Gulf Wars works for me. Googled SCA Dark Horde and their website popped right up. Estimated to be one of the largest households in the SCA.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, Pennsic was still pretty new when I went. It was a big event and drew a lot of folk, but its primary thing was the war between the East and the Middle. From what I understand now, they've got actual permanent facilities there, it attracts tourists, etc. It was MUCH more primitive back then.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Googled SCA Dark Horde and their website popped right up. Estimated to be one of the largest households in the SCA.

Wow, we were sort of the SCA's version of the Hell's Angels back then, or at least viewed as such. Small and scattered. I ran a Khanate in Treegirtsea for a bit. I think at that time I was one of the very few Hordesmen who could ride a horse, let alone use a bow or sword from horseback.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My dad got me into classes when I was quite young as it was thought it would improve my eye-hand coordination. I stood with it until I was in my early 40s and my shoulders got to that point. I also was proficient.

I've killed a couple of deer, but feel that a rifle is a lot more humane. My real thing was indoor target archery.

InsaneCdn

IC, I'll bring enough British tea for both of us and a properly fire proof kettle.
I'll bring some good green tea to change things up a bit.

I don't think I can find my solar oven - but those are handy too. Especially for making a nice berry pie from berries that just got picked...

pasajes4

I have a solar stove/oven. I can also bake bread in a Dutch oven buried in the ground with charcoal.
What names are we thinking of for our corner of the woods and our flag design.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can do basic cooking in a Dutch oven including underground slow-cooking, provided the oven has the rimmed lid designed to hold coals.

I'll stay out of the flag business. I know a little bit of heraldry, mostly just terminology. We also need to start site planning, runoff patterns, so we know where to dig latrines and place tent/pavillions. This is going to be a large encampment from what it sounds like, so if we've got former military who have set up camps, or a civil engineer, that would be helpful. With weather having become so unpredictable over the past decade or so, we'll have to double-stake tents, tie down flies, and trench all tents.

Lil

This is going to be a large encampment from what it sounds like, so if we've got former military who have set up camps, or a civil engineer, that would be helpful.

I was a Girl Scout until I was 20. :D Jabber was a Marine.

I can set up camps...but don't ask me to dig latrines. I once dug one in the middle of a poison ivy patch. We sent girls home. It wasn't pretty. :eek: Having never been allergic, my identification of it is somewhat lacking.

pasajes4

I have dug my share of latrines. I was living off grid after college. We travled and set up camp when we came to a place we liked.

Jabberwockey

Copa, Pennsic is an event for the SCA, Society for Creative Anachronisms. The planet is divided into Kingdoms and each Kingdom has a war every year. Pennsic is the war between the first two American Kingdoms. It's HUGE! 15+ thousand participants.

Jabberwockey

Lilies War for our kingdom is considered a smallish war and averages between 1500 and 2000 participants each year. Pennsic can have that many in one battle.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There were a heckuva lot less than 15K members in the entire SCA when I was in. I came in when Atenveldt was fairly new and before Ansteorra(sp?)

I go back to fighters wearing freon can helms, carpet armor, and wielding duct tape wrapped, padded, rattan weapons...LOL!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I wore boiled leather in fitting with my persona and because it's cooler, especially when working mounted and even with a gambeson under it.

husband who did leather work made that for me. He also helped with the saddle, and i made the bridle, which was braided multicolored horsehair. My girl, Sihaya, contributed white, and I bummed black and brown and red tailhair from horsekeeping friends.