when they are ready

Teriobe

Its obvious that only when the addict is ready, will they stop. We rack our brains trying to solve this. We believe they have mental problems when "some" really dont. I think some of us can handle it better if we think its mental. Their brains are just messed up from drugs. No drugs, no "mental problems". Thats why mental hospitals wont take someone using, they cant tell what behavior is drugs or not. Have to accept "some" just enjoy the high. And will probably OD sooner or later. Detachment is the only way to some kind of peace, i believe. Its very sad.

Sue C

For my oldest who used since age 13/14, the only time she stopped was after we kicked her out of the house at age 19 and a year later she met a wonderful guy and they were married a year after that. She returned to college. So...she didn't stop taking drugs until SHE was ready. We tried everything. Counseling, inpatient rehab, outpatient counseling. Nothing helped.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
For my oldest who used since age 13/14, the only time she stopped was after we kicked her out of the house at age 19 and a year later she met a wonderful guy and they were married a year after that. She returned to college. So...she didn't stop taking drugs until SHE was ready. We tried everything. Counseling, inpatient rehab, outpatient counseling. Nothing helped.

I so agree THEY have to be ready. But I think the problem is what do we all do in the meantime?

Keep them out of our homes if we can and alive. Those are the two things that come to my mind.

Sue C

I did a lot of worrying and hoping she'd stop and trying to get her help which didn't help at all and posting in the CD forums for support. If I had to go through it again, I honestly don't know how I'd react. The only thing that comes to mind is make her move out at 18. I had wanted to send her to Teen Challenge for a year, but the person is allowed to leave and she said she'd walk away.