When to go to the doctor?

flutterby

Fly away!
Normally, if my kids have a cold or respiratory flu I don't take them to the doctor because it's viral and just runs its course.

However, with the Swine Flu scare, I'm not so sure.

difficult child has been home the last 2 days from school complaining of a headache and upset stomach. She had a mild fever, so I kept her home. I actually thought at first that it was anxiety from the rumor mill at school, cause she can work herself into a fever. However, tonight she's feeling worse, her fever is going up, and she's developing a cough - on top of the headache and upset stomach.

Should I take her to Urgent Care tomorrow (Saturday) if she's not feeling better? I don't want to overreact, but I don't want to under-react, either.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would get it checked out. If nothing else maybe they can give her some of that antiviral stuff and shorten the bug.

Sorry difficult child is feeling yucky. I hope you stay safe!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'd wait a bit depending on how high her temp is, how bad the cough is. doctor can't do squat about a virus anyway. But if the cough develops into a really congested one he can give her script strength medications to help bring it up with less work.

Review the symptoms of H1N1. Keep an eye on her. Push fluids big time. If it seems to be getting the better of her, get her to the urgent care or doctor fast.

But I can tell you that easy child, Darrin, and Brandon all have the same symptoms you've described here. Darrin brought it home from school of course. He's at the tail end, still has the cough but made it to school today. (been about a week for him) Brandon seems to be getting over it ok.....but poor easy child just caught it.

Hope she feels better soon.
Hugs

rlsnights

Too late to start antiviral drug treatment - must be started within 2 days of becoming sick.

Most places have stopped testing for H1N1 because there's pretty much no point. If you or any family members are immuno-compromised then you should go to doctor at first sign of illness as should all immediate family members. If you're in this group you probably know it and have been told when to be concerned and what to do about it. We certainly have.

Otherwise, only reason for going is if severe sx develop - persistent high fever, severe cough/difficulty breathing, dehydration - in other words the same kinds of symptoms that would send you to the doctor if you had the "regular" flu.

Doesn't sound like she has severe symptoms at this point but you will have to be the judge of that.

Hope she gets feeling better soon.