when you can't sleep

ctmom05

I know that there are many reasons why folks here are awake when they are supposed to be alseep.

I've been a light sleeper for years. Often times I would just accept it. and other times I would bemoan the fact that I wasn't getting enough rest. I even addressed the issue with my doctor and did not come up with a solution that worked really well for me.

One thing I've tried is to stick to logic and provide myself with some routine practices for a good night's rest.

I need to get up early for work anyway; I start at 6:30am. So when I find myself awake after some sleep and it is only
3:30 or 4am, sometimes I find something to do. I do give myself a fair chance to rest, relax and fall back asleep first.

Usually it is something pleasant, that might even add to my comfort; like curling up on the recliner with my natures sounds CD, a nice cup of tea and a warm blankie. Other times it is an activity that involves indulging my wish to live the simple life, such as reading about building a log cabin. I also like browsing thru my Taste of Home magazines.

Of course, there is a certain minimum of sleep needed and you might need to confer with a medical professional if you are not achieving that day in and day out. Chronic sleep deprivation can lead to other serious issues.

Last edited:

goldenguru

I have been a chronic insomniac for as long as I can remember. I used to get really anxious about it and would actually have panic attacks at different times.

Now I just try to take it in stride. I get up and read or watch TV. I have read mountains of books because of my insomnia. I try to see that as an upside.

I must manage to get enough rest - because I'm a pretty healthy person.

As we approach menopause I don't think it's going to get any better. *sigh*

Jena

Have either of you tried natural remedies, melatonin that sort of stuff??

It's difficult when we can't get the rest we need. Yes I do not think menopause will help this at all!!!!

Sooo not looking forward to that. My Mom was menopausal by 44, I tend to run earlier than her with most things she has experienced. fun, fun lol

Abbey

Spork Queen
I never used to have that problem. I'd stretch to stay awake until 9pm, and sleep soundly until 6am. Now...it's a different story. I go to bed much later, and nearly every night get up for a few hours. I talked to the doctor about it a few weeks ago. She gave me sleeping pills that I am terrified of taking. I think I won't wake back up. I'm such a medication phobiac. So, they sit on my bathroom shelf all alone. Probably sleeping. ;)

Abbey

ctmom05

jennifer...

After consulting with my doctor I did try OTC medications for sleep. Melatonin or a mix containing it did not do well for me; it had a paradoxical effect. I had intermittent success with Benadryl.

SRL

If it's the wee hours of the morning and I really need the sleep then I go for half a Melatonin (works better than a whole dose for me) and then a cup of hot peppermint tea with honey.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I have always been a light sleeper. And I've tried things like ambien, lunesta, etc - hate them. Then I tried melatonin which is very helpful and I occasionally use xanax. My problem isn't so much staying asleep as it is getting to sleep, thus the melatonin and/or xanax help in that regard.

But, the one thing that has REALLY helped with staying asleep...or with interrupted sleep when H gets up at 5AM is a white noise machine. It was the best money spent. When I hear H stirring, I reach over and flip it on. It drowns out all the morning noises of H using the bathroom, ruffling papers, feeding the dogs, and making coffee. It's the best. If I could, I would run it all night long, but H can't sleep with the thing humming so I only use it when he gets up.

It also helps put the puppy back to sleep! I highly recommend one.

It's just a simple white fuzz noise (no nature stuff), high or low. I bought it for $50 on line at a natural remedy website.

maril

I have been a chronic insomniac for as long as I can remember. I used to get really anxious about it and would actually have panic attacks at different times.

Now I just try to take it in stride. I get up and read or watch TV. I have read mountains of books because of my insomnia. I try to see that as an upside.

I must manage to get enough rest - because I'm a pretty healthy person.

As we approach menopause I don't think it's going to get any better. *sigh*

Hi, ctmom05. Don't have any great suggestions -- just wish you good luck in finding strategies to help you through this. :D

Just jumping in here...

Re goldenguru's quote above: Like you, I used to get anxious/even have panic attacks and, also, like you, deal with it better, find things to do when I cannot sleep, which is infrequent.

As far as menopause, I am in the midst of perimenopause and have had mild effects due to hormone changes (sleep not affected too greatly). I will see what the future brings. My mom recently told me that since becoming menopausal years ago, her sleeping habits very much changed. Presently, she has trouble falling asleep and staying asleep and tries to stay away from anything stimulating before sleep (tv, computer). I don't think she takes any sleep-inducing medications or supplements. Anyway, she was widowed within the past year, so that contributes to sleep difficulties, also.

trinityroyal

The way I figure it, the AVERAGE requirement for sleep is 8 hrs a night. However, I think there are great differences in the amount of sleep we need as individuals.

I tend to sleep about 5 to 6 hrs a night. If I get more sleep than that I'm grouchy and sluggish. This has been consistent since I was very young.

So...in the wee hours when everyone else is sleeping, I:
- fold laundry
- clean out my desk and file away papers
- make lunches for the next day
- chop vegetables and prepare other ingredients for weekend cooking bouts
- play (very very quiet) games with Little easy child, who shows signs of being a bad sleeper just like Mummy.

As long as you're not feeling tired or dragged out or sleep deprived, then perhaps you don't need as much as the typical 8 hours of sleep.

Trinity

witzend

I'm a terrible sleeper. I can't fall asleep because my brain keeps going. And it rarely goes anywhere nice. I also have night terrors that wake me. I have had to use Lunesta for a number of years now. I don't know and don't care about addiction. I spent 43 years with nightmares and laying awake nights worrying and crying. No more. For me it would be like worrying that I was addicted to my blood pressure medication. Who cares?

I still have troubles "turning it off" many nights, so I have a portable dvd player with discs of old movies. Nothing exciting or fast paced. Always monotone-ish and talky. No wild mood music. I can be asleep in 10 - 15 minutes.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I like my OWN natural remedy -

JACK.

:surprise:
Up to the lips and over the gums look out tummy here it comes. :laugh:

KTMom91

I'm a devout insomniac as well. I have a terrible time going to sleep, but can usually stay asleep once I finally get there. Melatonin works for a while, then doesn't, Benadryl works but I have to be able to sleep it off or my brain is oatmeal the next day.

KTMom91

I forgot to add my white noise generator to block Hubby's snoring. The boombox is off station, so it's fuzzy, and I have really good headphones. Hubby can't hear it (not that he would anyway, because if his own snoring doesn't wake him up, I don't think anything will).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'd like to just take Star's remedies and combine them to help me sleep.... (Cap'n Jack... arrrgh!) C'mon, I KNOW there's some Johnny Depp fans out there ;)

Seriously, though, my hormones definitely affect my sleep cycle. Certain times of the month I simply CANNOT shut off my brain at night. And then WHAM. The day before my period starts I'm falling asleep in my dinnerplate before 8pm. Weird, huh?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ewwwwwwwww NICE ONE GCV - VERY CLEVER......aye eye be a Capn Jack fan. Even named me fish for Capn Jack - (he's a black Pearl Betta) lol

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My sleep pattern is like Trinity's - 4 or 5 hours max is ok with me - I am up about 3:30 or 4:00 in the morning - If I sleep any longer, I get up with a headache. It would be absolute torture for me just to lay in bed awake, wasting time just layin there LOL I do my laundy or work or play on the computer for a few hours till everyone else is up.

On rare occassions I will go back to bed for another hour or so, or even take a nap at times but I don't think there is a hard fast rule of 8 hours or its detrimental.

Marcie