When your name isn't your name..........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz

Too funny. You just reminded me I also have an Uncle Buddy. :rofl: His real name is LeRoy. Which I just so happened to discover while my uncle Bub was visiting this weekend. *snort* He's the child my great grandmother had in her 50's.

KTMom91

Hubby has Uncle Russell, who found out his name was really Wesley on his birth certificate, when he was in his 40's, so he made everyone start calling him Wesley. He has an Uncle JD...that's it, just JD.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL Mary. Imagine discovering that at age 40. sheesh

Oh, when I was pregnant with Travis, I had a neighbor (also pregnant/due any day) ask what boys names I had picked out. I told her I hadn't decided between Brandon and Travis. Next thing I knew she had her baby and had named him Travis. But couldn't come up with a middle name so it was just the letter J. lol

F

flutterbee

Devon's friend's middle name is W. It was supposed to be William, but his mom thought all they wanted was a middle initial (this wasn't her first kid - she must have been on drugs LOL). So, his official middle name is W.

KTMom91

My mom told me this about a friend of hers from college. This girl's brother joined the army (Korea era), and in filling out the forms, put "NONE" in the space for a middle name, because he didn't have one. He went through his entire TOD as Robert None Roberts.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: Mary

Who on earth would name their child Fantasy?? No scratch that. I recall another post we had about unusual names parents give their kids. :faint:

MyFriendKita

My paternal grandfather was named John, but his brother couldn't say "John," so he called my grandfather "Don." And he went by "Don" his entire life. I didn't know until recently that his name wasn't really Don. Even Social Security had him listed as "Don." My dad was supposedly named after him, but my dad's name is Donald, not Don or John.

witzend

Lisa, Aunt Phern, Married to Whateverhisnamewas, who then went by Mack, then Lee, named their 7th child "Chime". Huh?

Abbey

Spork Queen
This is too funny. I still have a birth certificate that I am Gertrude Arvid Uhrmacher. Fortunately, it was legally changed, but much of my family still calls me Gertie.

I LOVE that.:surprise:

Most of my adult years I've been called Abbey. It's just easy. When they find out my real name is Deborah, they all ask...is it Deb, Deborah, Debra, Debbie? Just Abbey is fine.

My dad's name is Sherwood Dixie U, but has been known as 'Dick' (sorry for the snicker) for most of his life. He grew up being called Sherry. To the day my grandmother died, she always called him Sherry. Imagine that for a guy. Who would name their kid Sherwood???

Abbey

DammitJanet

abbey is really a Gertie? OMG...lmao. Lord the things we do to kids.

Tony...bless his heart...is named after his grandfather. Now thankfully his mom and dad had some decency in them because his grandfathers name was Hobston Theodore H. Tonys name is Anthony Theodore M. His grandmother wanted him to be named Hobston Theodore M. Thankfully saner heads prevailed. However, Grandmother called her husband Hob and the rest of the family calls Tony Theodore but when I met him I told him I simply couldnt call a grown man a chipmunks name and asked him if he had a middle name...the story came out and I called him Tony from there on out. We can tell "my/our" friends from "his" friends by what they call him...lol.

trinityroyal

Yup.
All of this has reminded me of my uncle, my Grannie's 8th and youngest child. I guess she was tired of thinking up names, because she gave her older children permission to name the youngest.
(NOTE TO ALL: Don't ever let your older children name your youngest!)

They were reading an adventure story, who's hero was called Blaydud the Great (or something like that), so they decided to name their baby brother Blaydud.

On the day of his baptism, when the priest was told the baby's name, he said, "You can't call him that!" The priest picked a name off the top of his head, which was entered in the registry.

My uncle has been known as Wilberne ever since

F

flutterbee

I'm so confused. :crazy2: I can't keep up with all the different names and nicknames and and and...

I went to school with a girl who's grandfather's name was William William Williams. Just....why?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
I have an uncle Butch. His real name is Harold. Not sure how that name came about. I had a friend in high school whose name was Margaret but she was Marty. And of course when my dad was alive my name was Fred.

Beth

tawnya

My Dad's given name is Emmett, but he goes by Butch. And he would beat anyone up (and has LOL) that calls him anything but Butch.

I love that man, I am blessed that I am Butch's daughter, lol.

susiestar

Roll With It
My great gma was a bit resentful of her mother in law, because mother in law took one of the babies to the Church (Catholic Church) to be baptized while mom was still recovering from childbirth - and named her something totally different! So aunt Esther was NOT Aunt whateverIcan'tremember. Heer mother in law atually tried to have one of her other kids re-baptized to change the name also.

F

flutterbee

My dad's name is Jack. My uncle married a Jackie. My grandmother always called my dad "Jackie" (gag, puke, choke). So, then we had Big Jackie and Little Jackie. My dad was Little Jackie. Again, gag puke choke.

donna723

My English sister-in-law had her name changed too, by her older brothers and sisters. She was the youngest of nine kids, very spread out in age, some grown by the time she was born. At the time you had to go to some type of government office to register the birth of a child and get a birth certificate. Her parents had picked out a really awful, horrible name for her and sent some of the older siblings to the registry office. On their way there the brothers and sisters decided that they couldn't allow an innocent baby to be given such an awful name, so they conferred and picked out another name that they all liked and registered her under that name. Her mother had a fit when they came home and showed her the paperwork with a completely different name than what she had picked out! But it was too late to change it and she soon got over it.