When your name isn't your name..........

susiestar

Roll With It
I went to school ( Catholic School, mind you) with a girl who's dad was named Harry D!ck. That was their last name, and his REAL first name. Harold. We were all pretty stunned by it when the names of body parts became apparent to us.

And as I have told a few, my middle name is Star.

My dad taught some kids who were named Lemonjello and Orangejello. Only thing mom could eat with the pregnancies, or so she told the school. Those were the REAL names for the kids.

F

flutterbee

I went to school with a girl named Freedom and worked with a girl named Rebel. Their parents were obviously hippies. ;)

We had a client named Polly Peacock. She married into the last name. I don't think I would have taken it.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I went to school ( Catholic School, mind you) with a girl who's dad was named Harry D!ck. That was their last name, and his REAL first name. Harold. We were all pretty stunned by it when the names of body parts became apparent to us.

And as I have told a few, my middle name is Star.

My dad taught some kids who were named Lemonjello and Orangejello. Only thing mom could eat with the pregnancies, or so she told the school. Those were the REAL names for the kids.

OMG, Susie. He must be related to the guy we tormented on the phone as kids whose name was Harry Balls. True.

(ok...slinking off to the corner now)

Abbey

donna723

What were those parents thinking???

We have a guy in our local phone book named Harry O'Rear! Really! That's almost as bad.

I used to work with a very prim & proper straight-laced Sunday School teacher type whose name was Lovey Hussy! 'Hussy' was her married name ... if I had been her, I would have made him change it before I married him!

And the worst I've ever heard ... isn't there a professional golfer(?) or something like that named D!ck Trickle? Shoulda gone by 'Richard'! That sounds like a nasty social disease! :surprise: Like something they have to report to the Health Department ...

dreamer

what a fun thread to read! Thank you.

Hmm....my dad is "Pete" but....no Pete in his name either. Not much "dad" in his name either, me and my bro call him "Pete", too. His name is Jesse Marlo Francis and then a 2 word last name. He fled home at age 14 and never looked back, and has no idea why his name is what it is or why he was called Pete. His siblings all were always called by their birth names except one brother who was called by his middle name instead of his first name.
My stepfather was always called "Bud" - his name is Lew. There was not anyone else shareing his name, but....they called him Bud anyway. Us kids call him Lewie or Lewgalie. No reason, we just do.
My 2nd stepfather was from KY and his name was William Gordon, but, many from his home area called him Bill, but when he came north, people began to call him Gordon or Gordie. ROFL, us kids called him Pop.
My mom wanted to name my brother Bill, but, she was quite young and the hospital nurses back then refused to permit her to put Bill on his birth certificat eand they changed it to William. They told mom Bill was NOT a "proper" name. My bro goes by Bill and always has. His middle name is a mystery....mom said it was supposed to be spelled one way, dad said another way and birth cert says yet a 3rd way. Yeesh. Bill dropped his middle name. Bills best friend was called Buddy and even Buddy did not know that was not his name until he was in middle school. LOL.
My one aunt had one girl and a bunch of boys, and 2 husbands....each husband had a son named after him, and the only daughter was named after my aunt...but they used no nicknames etc at all. It could get very confuseing talking to them there. LOL. More confuseing the sons married 3 of them anyway, girls with the same first name, and it was the same names as my brothers wife and my sister! SO when we say names Bill or Linda, we have to sometimes go thru a lot of expalianing to clarify which Bill or Linda we mean. LOL.
One of my dads siblings named all 3 of their boys the same name. Yeesh.

My husband was born with one name- his mom was unmarried, and he had her last name, but then he got adoptoed and his last name become his first name but his new last name was very similar to his old last name now first name. So that got weird, I guess and then his mom went to court and rearranged it and changed his name yet again. But it is all still names that are almost the same....and all sound like a first name.

I very much dislike my own name. ANd it has no nickname to go with it. In elem school I was "Sam" not becuz it had a single thing to do with anything, it was just simple and easy. By middle school I began to talk on CB radio and went by dreamer......and I simply kept it ever since then. Even my kids sometimes call me dreamer at home. Only my son is named after anyone with his first name.....after my DHs father. and my bros name for my sons middle name. My girls first names I just chose cuz I liked them, BUT my mom and my mother in law had same middle name, so my easy child has her grammas middle names as her middle name and it works nicely with her first name. My difficult child, my oldest child, has her very ownunique first name, with a female form of her dads name for her middle name. easy child has dcided to use my middle name and bfs moms middle name to make their babies middle name if it is a girl.works well, becuz it is actually a common name. If it is a boy, she has picked my sons middle name, which is also my brothers first name....and I believe it is also baby to bes um.well maybe that grampas middle name or something (I forget right now)

difficult child has always played with her name and has always wanted to be named something else. She does not really dislike her name, I think it is more she is unhappy with herself, not her name. (her name is not really the name I use online)

KTMom91

My mom told me about a guy who went to high school with her who was named "Ferry Phineas." For real.

How many of these interesting names come from small town America? Just curious...

trinityroyal

Mary, there are entire ISLANDS in the Caribbean where this sort of thing is commonplace. I can't think of a single relative on my difficult child-father's side who has a regular name.

Off the top of my head, there were:
Bob (Elliston)
Almond (George)
Uncle Paw Paw (Simeon)
Viola (Viola)
Annette (Grace)
Horace (Harold)
And about 5 uncles named "Junior". I never knew them by any other name, just told them apart by their surnames. And not all of the Juniors were actually Juniors.