where do all the socks go?

Jena

now, seriously i know i'm probably tired. but i just went into husband's drawer to steal a pair of socks.

and there aren't any?!! WT...............

where do all the socks go? is there a place, a hidden hole where they all go to rest once they've been worn too long?? is it in our homes, hidden, underground?? where? where?

i know all of you have missing socks too. i'Tourette's Syndrome the most bizarre thing LOL to me that is:D

DammitJanet

Socks have been the bane of my existence for as long as I have been a parent. Im not sure if they were when I was a kid or not because I had a magic laundry fairy when I was a kid. I dumped dirty clothes in my closet and the fairy came and gathered them up and my clothes appeared back where they belonged somehow. Boy was I in for a rude awakening when I grew up and moved out on my own and found out there was no laundry fairy!

I used to try to buy my boys socks for each of them, different colors, blah blah blah. That didnt last worth a darn. I ended up buying tons of white socks exactly the same and just putting them in a small round laundry basket and everyone could just grab two that matched fairly closely.

Now with Keyana I do basically the same thing but I am trying to get her some of the cooler socks with pictures on them and knee highs and stuff like that. One would think that only having one little girl I might be able to handle this but we shall see. My couch seems to eat her socks.

slsh

member since 1999
I'm absolutely with Janet on this one. I have a bin next to the dryer and all socks go in there. I don't think there's been a clean pair of matched socks in any bedroom in this house in a decade. Diva's socks are slightly easier to find because she does wear colorful ones that tend to stand out in the sea of white - but even then, there are several lonely socks in the bin whose mates have headed off to parts unknown.

I think it hit me when we were preparing to go camping one weekend - 6 people X 2 socks/person X 3 days + 1 extra pair per person = 48 stinking socks!!! Then I did the math for a week's worth of socks for my family = 84 socks. It's ridiculous, and impossible to find 42 *matching* pairs at any one time.

Then you throw in the socks that husband and Weeburt will wear - you know the ones. No heels left, see-through balls of the feet, and big holes at the toes. And they wear them over and over and over. Might as well go barefoot, LOL. Impossible to train them to toss drafty socks, so I go thru the bin every once in a while to pull out the socks that are long past retirement time.

Personally? I wear flip flops until there's snow on the ground, LOL.

We had this problem at our house and the mystery was solved when the dryer repairman came to work on our dryer. When he removed the dryer "drum" there were literally 20 to 30 socks in the back of the dryer that apparently had somehow spun out of the dryer drum! He laughed at our amazement and said he usually finds "missing" clothes this way. So it's true, the dryer really does eat socks!

These days we tie our socks together twice when we put them in the dirty clothes pile now - it's a house rule. No more missing or unmatched socks - I highly recommend the technique.

Valerie

Mattsmom277

Too funny about the dryer repair guy finding so many socks in there. I wonder what's in MY dryer? lol

I loathe socks. Well actually I used to love socks. i'd buy a new pair with each new top practically that I bought. Pretty ones that for some reason made me feel good to put on each morning. easy child loves thick white socks with logos (adidas, tommy hilfiger etc). difficult child loves thick grey socks with the little Nike swirl. S/O could care less, even if they don't match, he just wants no holes and no stains. It became a nightmare. Then the screaming by me when the pricey sport socks would disappear.

Solution: One size fits us all black only socks. No logos, nothing different. Cheapo easy to replace black socks. I buy them at Walmart in the mens section, they are thick and warm, and can't stain because I only buy black. Since they are always the same brand/size, if I see a hole or thinning, in the trash they go. I have a wicker basket on the dryer where all socks go, and we all just grab 2 socks each morning. I refuse to fold and put in bedrooms. easy child and I do both have a few pairs of socks in the styles we like. I make easy child bring them to me upon removing them for the very next wash load. That way I know 2 went in and they are removed and she must put them in her drawer right away or I refuse to replenish them as she wears them out.

Does anyone actually enjoy folding socks????? Weirdly it is my brothers favorite part of laundry. I think he's insane.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Jett will take off one sock and run around the house - one on, one off. Or both. And leave them lying on the floor wherever he took them off.

I told him if he runs out of socks, too bad.

I rarely lose mine, for some reason... Not sure why.

The kids now do their own laundry, so it's their problem. Onyxx thinks the washer or dryer eats her underwear. Umm... The evil underwear fairy removes those that are inappropriate and destroys them... And yes, the underwear fairy, just like the tooth fairy, takes turns as to gender...

KTMom91

Around here, things get panthered...taken out of the basket by one of the black furry demons who has decided he likes it, and dragged around as if it's prey, only to be abandoned when something more interesting comes along. Miss KT had socks and underwear literally all over the house, and all three of the naughties LOVED her black wool beret, which led to one or the other of the panther boys carrying it around for days at a time.

One of them just knocked over a box of papers Hubby needs for his class project, and all three ran out of the room...bad cats...

KTMom91

Ask your cat. Miss KT always blamed the cat for everything.

I sorted clothes and started laundry, but the naughties still found some things they liked, and moved them to other rooms. Guess I didn't move quickly enough...

skeeter

no,no,no. Socks are the larval stage of wire coat hangers. Once socks go into a clothes hamper, at night, they mutate into their next stage and move to the closet. If you have a lot of socks mutating at the same time, they will get all mixed together and that's how you get all the wire coat hangers that you cannot get apart.

trinityroyal

Does anyone actually enjoy folding socks????? Weirdly it is my brothers favorite part of laundry. I think he's insane.

I LOVE sorting and folding socks. And ironing. I love pretty socks with silly patterns, and like to align the heels and toes, and then roll them up into a sock ball.

The system is starting to fall apart now, because Little easy child wears the same size shoes I do so it's getting harder to tell our white socks apart. And the Tot Monsters love to play with rolled up socks, so they steal them from the laundry basket. And of course, the evil sock fairy (that would be me) disappears any that are just holes held together by sock molecules.

As for where the odd-side socks go, I like skeeter's theory. They mutate into wire coat hangers, and then escape to the dry cleaners where they can fly and be free.

Jena

clearly trinity you are the "sock queen" lol!

:) i had no idea when i sat here half asleep that night with-my distorted thinking it would trigger such an interesting conversation.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sorting laundry Saturday night... I discovered I have a missing sock... And thought about this thread!

Apparently there is something wrong with my house, because I am constantly BUYING hangers...

trinityroyal

Oh, I buy hangers too. I can't stand the wire ones, and the Tot Monsters like to play with hangers so I have the thick plastic ones. Our local dry cleaner has a drop box for wire hangers, so I set them free there to go on to a new life on someone else's closet floor.

Trinity

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL! Oh my. I honestly have too many clothes and prefer wire hangers. Onyxx prefers plastic ones (and hangs up EVERYTHING). So we buy her 60 plastic hangers and ask for the wire ones. Nope, they're being used. 60 more - NOPE! Oh, my.

Jett hates hanging ANYTHING up, so there are about half a dozen in his closet... Plastic, of course!