Where were you born or raised?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Actually, sows (mama pigs) will even eat each other's piglets when they're very small... We had a large hog farm and occassionally would miss a sow about to deliver and she would have her litter in the common area with all the others. We would make attempts to save the babies, but frequently the piglets wouldn't follow and other sows would actually eat them. Pretty gross. If you step in to rescue baby, mama may well attack you to protect her baby, and the others will attack you to get it and eat it.

I don't think this is such a big problem (like in the wild), but they didn't have large spaces to den up and hide in our operation.

I was maybe 6 or 8 when a sow had her litter in the field. Thinking I was doing the right thing, I jumped the fence and wrangled 4 or 5 of them out of there. I don't think I ever got a butt-chewing like that one before or since!!

Val, I love your story. That's much how my childhood was (that's why a 6 year old was roaming around the hog pen alone!) But for all the "awful" things my parents did (or didn't do - like supervise my every waking moment), I only got hurt at school! lol

Marguerite

"On the outer Barcoo where the churches are few, and men of religion are scanty,
On a road seldom crossed save by folk who are lost,
one Michael Magee had a shanty."

It's the Aussie equivalent to a satire of coal-miner's daughter; son of a bush innkeeper who mysteriously got christened "Maginnis".

Marg

BusynMember

Near Chicago in the suburbs. It was very snobby, and I'm not like that and I'd always felt like a fish out of water. Twelve years ago hub and I packed up the kidskis and moved to small town Wisconsin. I'm home now. It's peaceful and friendly and it's a wonderful area for finding empty spots filled with inspiring nature. I write a lot sitting on a rock and staring out at the water. (Yes, Wisconsin has a lot of lakes and rivers).
I still cheer for the Cubs and Sox. The Bears? Naw, I'm a Packer fanatic :p