Which is better for selling--ebay or Craigslist?

TerryJ2

I typed up my first Craigslist sale last night. No responses yet. I expected at least 200 by now. :whoopdedoo:
It's my daughter's dorm bunk.

So, aside from guessing at a good price to set, what else do I do? And does Craigslist take a cut if it sells?

What about ebay?

difficult child refuses to sleep in the bunk because 1) the cats won't climb up that high and 2) he hit his head on the ceiling once. ONCE.

easy child is renting a house on campus that already has beds.

keista

I wouldn't bother with ebay for a bunk bed. Unless you're willing to ship the dang thing, you'd be limited to local pick up. EBay takes a sizable cut 15% I think these days. Also, if they pay via PayPal, and then pick it up, that can cause problems because you can't prove delivery (been there done that got screwed once too often.)

Craigs List is completely free. You might have to repost it weekly. Make up some flyers to post in laundromats and supermarkets, and any where else you see such flyers (the ones where they can rip off your #)

Nancy

I have sold things on ebay and it's very easy, I have also bought things on ebay and it was a breeze. Just be very careful of craigslist. In our area if you list something on craigslist you get a lot of fake inquiries and there is the security issue too. I am actually afraid to use craigslist because of the problems people have run into.

Nancy

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
There have been a rash of robberies, some armed, with people buying/selling on Craigs list. Dan sells some things for me on there, but it makes me nervous. We had a friend who was robbed of some items when he went in the house to get change. Not to mention all of the scammers that run freely on Craigs list :(

Marcie

TerryJ2

Yes, there is a warning that you can read with-advice ... do not meet in your own home, etc. I can't imagine that anyone would rob me for a steel bed frame. Seems it would be the other way around.

DammitJanet

I buy and sell on both craigslist and ebay. I have never had a problem on either. Now for an item like a bunkbed, I would probably not do ebay because it would have to be local pick up because of the size. If you are worried about someone coming to your house, just meet at a mall or something.

Is this like one of those futon bunk beds? If so, can you bring it to the meet in myrtle beach? I will buy it! I am looking for a bunkbed for Keyana's room...lol

LittleDudesMom

I sell on eBay and have never had a problem but I'm selling things easy to ship. I don't like CL because I don't want anyone coming to my house. Now, I did sell easy child's car in about 8 hours on CL (listed it over night) but I had it in a parking lot downtown for folks to go look at it and then I made appts for later that day for anyone who wanted to come back - the first guy who looked at it that morning, called me, offered me full price cash and the deal was done.

I also use CL for all our apartments. It's great for landlords because there is no cost and I like it because I can post pictures and an endless description and folks can look their fill and "map it". It weeds out a lot of folks and I can do a lot of the preliminary via email which really saves time over using the phone and answering tons of questions.

Either way, be careful - CL rule - cash only - don't even take a money order or certified check - they can be counterfeit.

Sharon

TerryJ2

Yes, I was planning on cash.

Janet, it's got a steel frame on the outside, with-a straight ladder. And a regular mattress, actually, a combination box spring/mattress that's pretty hard, so we put another mattress on top of it. So I won't be bringing it to Myrtle Beach. Oh well. :)