Which one do we need???

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by Ktllc, Aug 12, 2011.

  1. Ktllc

    Ktllc New Member

    A psychological evaluation or a neuropsychological evaluation?

    Our appointment has been canceled and will not be reschedule... Something really bad must have happened to the doctor we were going to see. They have no clue if she will come back.

    In the mean time, I need to have a plan B for difficult child. I made a lot of phone calls but so far it does not look real good.

    All I know, difficult child needs an evaluation and the person needs to be knowlageable in autism spectrum (at least to rule it out).
    The behavioral and developmental pediatrician is the one that recommended the evaluation. Just to have more answers.
    One of the offices I called wasn't sure of the kind of testing difficult child needed and told me that the person that could help me most would be the same developmental pediatrician that requested the testing in the first place. GRRRR I'm going in circle.

    Not to mention that no one really knows what doctor will accept our insurance.
    I'm waiting for the developmental pediatrician to get back to me.

    Can anyone explain what the difference is between neuro and regualr psyc. evaluation?
    I am kind of lost and decided to pay out of pocket if it means having the best kind of testing.
    So far nobody seems to know what is going on. They just all agree that something is going on. It has been over 4 months of BS and we are just all so ready for help.

    Oh, and I was also told that both kind of evaluation could test for autism... so back to the initial question: what's the difference.

    Ok, I need to breath in and out really slowly and be zennnnnnnnnnnn.
  2. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest

  3. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    Biggest difference is NOT going to be the person's title. Its going to be the person's experience.
    You need someone who specializes in children on the autism spectrum.

    Whether that's a psychologist, or a psychiatrist, or a neuropsychologist, almost doesn't matter.
    They just have to be really thorough, and really know their stuff.

    So... back to square one... how do you find the best autism spectrum specialist? Not just the most knowledgeable, but one who will work with you, potentially for the long haul?
  4. Ktllc

    Ktllc New Member

    Well... if I need someone to work with me over the years... I guess I need that doctor to accept our insurance. I can see spending for a one time test, but not continously.
    I am waiting for that evaluation like "the holy grale", but I honestly don't know what kind of help it will bring.
    I've taking notes on things that seem relevant, but it is just so hard to describe difficult child. He makes everything so difficult all the time.
    It's like we live in 2 different planets and we just don't understand each others world. He frustrates us but I believe our world frustrates him just as much!
  5. InsaneCdn

    InsaneCdn Well-Known Member

    OK - another approach to try (in the mean time, while you figure out the evaluation stuff)

    For right now, assume he's somewhere on the autism spectrum.
    Do your research, find out what works with these kids... and start trying.
    It sure can't hurt.
  6. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    Look for support groups in your area for children with autism. Ask them who they recommend for testing.

    ALL psychiatric and neuropsychologist testing for ALL of my children were done by 'testing specialists' and not be the people who actually treated my children. You can find the best tester and pay out of pocket and then take those results to a covered provider for the long term treatment.
  7. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    For autism spectrum disorder definitely a neuropsychologist. Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is not a psychiatric problem and I know that our psychiatrist did not know diddly about it. A neuropsychologist has knowledge of both neurological and psychiatric problems. I feel that makes them better diagnosticians. A psychiatrist misdiagnosed my son's Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) symptoms for bipolar and put him on heavy duty medications for three years. He didn't need them. He has now been medication free since he was eleven when a neuropsychologist said he was on the autism spectrum rather than being bipolar. My son has been fine and obviously our psychiatrist was wrong. When I later called the psychiatrist, who had a fine reputation, I asked how he missed the autism. He said, to my shock, "He doesn't have it. If he did, he could not move from one room to another without having a meltdown." How uninformed! Even I, a novice, knew better than that! We wasted three years and son became obese due to all the medications.

    My favorite diagnosticians for all disorders is a neuropsychologist because of the intensive testing they do. Psychiatrists rarely do any testing at all, but rather rely on parent info and the child's behavior, which they can misinterpret. After he is diagnosed, then you can fine somebody to follow him through the years...your neuropsychologist may have a recommendation.

    JMO! Keep us updated! :)
  8. HaoZi

    HaoZi Guest

    Hopefully you won't get docs like we had. More than one said "Autism testing? Why do you want that? She's too smart to be autistic." *headdesk*
    I finally got her into a psychologist with experience testing for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) to get that ruling (which was that she's further along that spectrum than he thought at first meeting but I was pretty sure of that already) and it's her neuropsychologist psychiatrist that I end up educating on her diagnosis's because apparently next to no one here has experience with MDCs (which is what I've taken to calling multi-diagnosis children).