Which Weather Are You Today?

Andy

Today finds many of us is some sort of extreme weather. Getting to work and doctor appointments may be a challenge.

So, let's share our adventures (or avoidance of) of the weather today.

I feel blessed that my weather is dangerous wind chills. I can still get to work today (well, we will see, I haven't started out yet). If my garage door opens (we have problems with it when it is cold but can usually do it manually) I will be heading out soon.

difficult child's school is running 2 hours late but since he is recovering from the flu (I stayed home with him yesterday) I will let him stay home today.

We have an hours drive to psychiatrist and therapist appointments tomorrow but the dangerous wind chills will be gone, otherwise I may have to postpone those.

Those with rain, sleet, ice, snow stay safe. What will you do with your free day at home if you are staying home? If you do get out and about, what are your weather stories?

Andy

I am looking forward to Jena's story! STAY SAFE JENA!!!! We are all sending good thoughts for your travels today! You are heading into a blizzard!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We've got ice and high winds here. Neat "blue lightning", which is actually power lines arcing - dangerous, but cool to see. We still have power, though I read that 55K+ in the area are out.

They closed schools/work again today. I'm waking up slowly... Might make bread in a bit. Jett's awake (dratted MORNING person!), and Onyxx and husband are still out "cold" (hee hee). So it's relatively quiet here. (And, yes, hmm... Jett IS sleeping here...)

slsh

member since 1999
Well, I wanted to open the pool soon, but I'm thinking now, not so much. :rofl: Snow is almost to the top of it and there's a drift hanging off the south side of the pool by several inches.Still snowing but finally letting up a bit. County has shut down all roads so no traveling for us today. I'm thinking a big batch of brownies and curling up on the couch with- kiddos is in order for the day. husband will be shoveling.... for probably most of the day. I *told* him I wanted to stay in Hawaii. :rofl:

Last edited:

ctmom05

awful - more storms back to back than I ever remember .. .. .. snow packed solid from plows, etc .. .. .. mail box buried .. .. .. currently icing(not the kind on a cake) .. .. .. more bad weather forecast for soon .. .. ..

trinityroyal

Last night, we had blizzard conditions. This morning, we're getting that beautiful fluffy snow that looks just like the ideal winter scene from a painting. Trouble is, it's landing on top of all the accumulations from yesterday so it's nasty out there. Cold, wet, slippery and very little visibility. I was watching the postman deliver the mail this morning. He was knee-deep as he cut through our yard to the neighbour's house. Honestly, I'm thankful as he's broken the trail for me if I have to venture outside today.

One of my staff phoned this morning to say that she's snowed in so badly she can't get out of her driveway, so she's taking a snow day. I'm working at home. Because I'm married to a Tech guy, I have full network access and e-mail from home so it's just like being in the office (but with a window seat). No crazy travel stories for the Trinity family -- we're all housebound today, but I'm looking forward to when the giant snowploughs roll by later. I don't know why, but I love watching them work -- have done ever since I was a little girl.

muttmeister

We had a blizzard yesterday but today the sun is shining - but the temp right now is 2 below 0 with wind which makes a wind chill of -20 something. I'd like to stay home today but I have to go to my mother's to set up her medications for the week - I always do it on Wednesday as I usually go to a needlework group at church on Wednesday. Not going this morning.

School was cancelled yesterday but starts 2 hours late today. I had granddaughter who usually stays with me stay with her mom and dad so they can worry about getting her there.

Supposed to be "warm" (30) by Friday but then more cold and snow is predicted. Ugh!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We didn't get the ice, freezing rain. Although parts of the county did as I know my friend did and she lives just a couple miles north of town. We did get the high winds.......mine and everyone else's trash is scattered everywhere. lol Still awfully windy out, and much colder than they said it would be. It's snowing?? We were only supposed to get rain today It's snowing quite hard at present and has been since I woke up.

I think I'm going to stop looking at the forecast. Honestly, I think they make it up as it goes along.:hairy:

Travis said there is no school today, although the college didn't close...only had a delay. So husband gets to venture out to take him to school. I have the grandsons at 2pm until about 9pm. Even though easy child will be driving into the ice storm area, she has no choice, she's emergency personnel. No matter how bad the weather she doesn't get to call off. ugh

Have not heard from Nichole this morning via facebook chat. She usually pops up the second I load it up. I've been up an hour and nothing. I'm now wondering if she has power. If not, they're going to freeze. No way to heat the apartment at all. So a bit worried about her.

Nancy

We got the freezing rain and wind. There is a veyr thick layer of ice on everything. We had aboyt 8-10" of snow on the ground in our yard and now it is covered with this thick ice. You can walk on top of it without falling through. It's a weird feeling. You should have seen my fuzz butt...she loved it.

My husband is stuck in Memphis. No flights coming in or out of our airport. All the schols and colleges are closed. They are doing a good job plowing and salting the roads and it helps by keeping everyone off them.

Nancy

tiredmommy

We got a mixed bag: snow, sleet & a little freezing rain. The winds are supposed to pick up this afternoon. It was Duckie's first snow day of the school year.

busywend

We got about 4 inches of snow and everything closed! They had predicted our weather to be awful with the ice, snow & wind that Chicago got, but apparently it was South of us. I am working at home today.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Not sure exactly how much snow we received but I've never seen drifts like this before. It looks beautiful, however, after 2 1/2 hours of shoveling I'd like to be sitting somewhere sunny and sipping a margarita at the beach!

Our dog, Ella, even used the deck to do her business-she wouldn't venture off of it and she is a black lab mix so not too small!

Thankfully a neighbor used his snowblower to do our sidewalk and even the city snow plow helped some. Otherwise, I would probably have been out there for 5 hours or more! Poor husband, his back is super sore so I did the shoveling on my own. I'm thinking I'm done for the day for any kind of work!!

Marguerite

I just updated at dawn Queensland time on the cyclone aftermath. Cautiously optimistic. Yasi just got downgraded from 3 to 2, it's further inland. It was a bad 5 when it hit.

Here we're into yet another day of record-breaking heatwave. It is so hot, it is dangerous to be out in it. I have to go out today but a lot of that time I will be in air-conditioning. I aim to get back home as soon as I can. I'd love to go to the beach to cool off, but it's getting too dangerous to go to the beach during the heat. We have to wait until late afternoon now. I always feel nervous, swimming in the ocean near sunset - that's when sea life wakes up a bit more. But maybe it's just me... husband & I both had to skip our evening swim last night, he was late home because the heat had damaged train tracks (it happens when it gets nastily hot here) and I had choir practice to go to. At choir, I literally drank over a litre of water and still felt thirsty. I'm not getting to the loo very much either - I'm losing it all as sweat. I'm back to carrying a towel around with me, to mop myself.

Overnight temperatures are breaking records too. It is currently hotter overnight, than most summer midday temperatures. The hottest part of Sydney (Penrith) during the day is the coolest at night, but it still recorded a record at about 75 F, the COOLEST part of Sydney overnight. Where we are, it was over 30 C (86 F) right through the night.

Got to go.

Warm hugs to all of you fighting the cold, snow and ice. I wish we could send our heat over to you.

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Thanks Marg... It's comfortable inside, but right now if we could take our temps and average them with yours, we'd all be a bit more reasonable!

...I have cabin fever. I haven't been anywhere in 46 hours. I love my family, but if Jett doesn't quit going on about video games we don't have... Agh!

I am reminded of a Jimmy Buffett song:

"This morning... I shot six holes in my freezer... I think I got cabin fever... Somebody sound the alarm... I wanna go where there ain't any snow..." (OK, I cut out a bit, but...)

svengandhi

Oh, Marg, I would give anything to have your weather and not mine, which is cold, with freezing rain, etc. I had a nightmare the other night that I died and went down there and my version of down there was this winter.

I would so much rather have 90+ weather for 3 weeks in a row and never see snow ever again.

Marg's Man

Despite the heat here (32C inside, hotter outside, humidity way over 90%) I would rather it was cooler.

Our experience with that blizzard in New Zealand gave me an appreciation of the cold even though it was only(!) -5C. After driving over 300km on chains (with ZERO experience before that) I was forcibly reminded of a Christian comic I once heard. He said "H*** maybe a hot place; but it takes chains to get there!"

Marg's Man

flutterby

Fly away!
We had a lot of freezing rain and sleet. Tuesday night was spent listening to the crashing of trees and limbs coming down. With the way the limbs broke, coupled with the sound of them crashing down with ice, it sounded like there was a demolition going on all night. My driveway was blocked by tree limbs, and my entire front yard is strewn with them. A company came out today and unblocked my driveway, but they're so swamped they won't actually get the yard cleaned up for a day or two. Fortunately, and I don't know how, we didn't lose power but we saw the "blue lightning" (power lines arcing) that Step saw. School has been closed since Tuesday and they've already closed for Thursday. I expect they'll be closed on Friday, too. Too much cleanup and a good portion of town is without power.

H

HaoZi

We're still under an "essential travel only" advisory here. School out for third day running. Kiddo is actually tired of being home and wanted to go to school today. I'm not going to be happy if I dig out my truck and get another text today telling me I'm not needed again. If nothing else, I hope if that text comes it's before I go dig the truck out! The main road here (yes, there is one main road and that's it) looks pretty clear from what I can see from my window.