While the cat's away ... the mice skip school

TerryJ2

I emailed one of difficult child's teachers to tell him that when I left, we were having difficulty printing one of difficult child's papers, and hoping it could be done by remote on my printer upstairs, but perhaps difficult child had resolved the issue and turned it in?
He said, In point of fact, difficult child hasn't been here for two days.
WHAT?
I called husband and couldn't get ahold of him, so called our landscaper from heaven, and he was in the neighborhood. I told him where the hide-a-key was and he went all through the house, calling, then realized that the dogs were standing outside one of the bathrooms. He opened the door and found difficult child hiding in a corner! He said, "Do you want me to get you dressed or do you want to do it yourself?" difficult child said he wanted to call husband and W said, "You could have called him all day. Could have called him 15 min ago. Why now? Get dressed!" He got difficult child to school at the end of the day, made a scene in the front ofc, called in the principal and asst principal, they told him that any more absences means that they can get the court system involved. difficult child had every excuse in the book. Couldn't find his shoes. (W said, "I'll buy you another pr. Next excuse.") Friend of a friend wanted him to smoke. (Just say NO) He ate real pizza and got a stomach ache (when you know you're allergic, you eat it anyway? NEXT excuse!)
W called husband and told him that difficult child skipped Mon, Wed and Thurs. He was HOT! difficult child lied while he was supposedly getting on the bus, lied even about what he was wearing ... I talked to husband and he said, well, never mind. I don't want to get kicked off the board.
husband told difficult child he was VERY disappointed in him and he took the hard drive and case and put it in his car. He locked my ofc upstairs,too so I hope difficult child isn't chiseling away at the door frame.

After all was said and done, W said he may not be able to attend a mutual friend's Halloween party because he had a TIA and is undergoing all sorts of tests and doesn't know his schedule or if he may need surgery (maybe a pacemaker.) I felt SO guilty! He said he was more than happy to do it because he has always liked difficult child and knows what it's like to have a problem child (he's got one easy child and one difficult child). He is a saint!
So, next time I go out of town, I hire a professional caregiver. Period.

buddy

What a cool guy to do that! Love how W dismissed all his obvious excuses.
Yup, guess you just have to do what you have to do---can you find someone like that to care for him when you are gone?....yuck. Sorry that happened...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Man, oh man... I am suddenly reminded why we haven't gone anywhere in ages and ages... Sure as heck can't leave the kid(s) alone!

buddy

Man, oh man... I am suddenly reminded why we haven't gone anywhere in ages and ages... Sure as heck can't leave the kid(s) alone!

yup, as I said, can't even accept a rare offer of a date...unless difficult child comes along...no way that would be fun!

InsaneCdn

yup, as I said, can't even accept a rare offer of a date...unless difficult child comes along...no way that would be fun!
Your kid is severe enough that you should be able to get respite... no? Or does that just make things worse?

(ours are not bad enough to get respite... and not good enough to leave with anyone else much less alone...!)

buddy

I think I could get respite, we have looked before, but even when Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) has him I can pretty much count on a call...So, I have always felt like I can't take one more place saying we have to work out a behavior plan or they can't work with him....It is my having to let go and take the risk I guess.

TerryJ2

Thank you all. I don't know what I would do with-o W. He is a lifesaver.
I know that the first thing difficult child will do when I get home is try to negotiate his computer back. I can hardly wait.
:groan::groan:

Methuselah

What has kept my kids from skipping school is my promise to personally walk them to and from each class for a week....wearing my robe and slippers. :) It has worked so far. Heh.

Sorry you were lied to and deceived.

Marguerite

Methuselah, I like your style...

Good for W. He deserves a slab of beer. Or bottle of scotch. That's service above and beyond the call of duty.

I also recall that difficult child often eats what he shouldn't, then uses it as an excuse to get out of activities. I'd be dosing him up with antihistamines and making him go anyway. Natural consequences.

Marg

TerryJ2

Yes! I have done that.
But I wasn't here ...
The first thing difficult child said when I got home from Myrtle Beach last night was, "Hi." The second thing was, "Whatever punishment you decide to give me for skipping school is fine. I won't argue."
Okie dokey ...
Apparently, when husband got home that night (after W took difficult child to school), he told difficult child he was very, very disappointed in him for missing school and lying. That's all he said. He said difficult child cried himself to sleep.
Good. He will remember this.
Oh, and the after-school suspension he's got every Tue and Thur from now on. :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
"Whatever punishment you decide to give me for skipping school is fine. I won't argue."

Uhhhh - WHAT?

...And... I've heard that one before... I hope your difficult child sticks to it, though.

Did you get it in writing, in triplicate, carved in granite, with indelible ink? In large, impossible-to-miss letters?