White Elephants

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
not advisable for difficult child's. My son's pupils dilated and he total went white 1/2 way through the fiasco. The none difficult child's where melting down.....wow who knew holiday "fun" could be so detrimental.:christmasgift:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe they didn't completely understand the gist of the exchange and were caught off-guard? I could see how a difficult child might misunderstand it if it wasn't spelled out clearly in black and white.

amazeofgrace

Ah yes a "white elephant" is a lovely game of gift taking and stealing.....always sure to bring on excitement and in some cases (like last night) screaming yelling and crying!

KTMom91

And when the gift is awful (as many of them are), someone is sure to make a loud and negative comment about it, maybe something along the lines of, "Did you see that XYZ I ended up with? OMG, that's the ugliest piece of **** I ever saw. WTH am I supposed to do with it? I don't even know what it is!"

And when you (Mom) define the object, you hear, "Oh. Well, it's still ugly. Do you want it?"

No, thank you. My stash of XYZ is just fine. "Well, maybe I'll give it Grandma then. Except she told me not to get her any more presents. But this is different. I didn't buy this."

Oh, yeah...we've had this conversation before.

amazeofgrace

hmmm I ended up with a penguin book, which is going to X-mother in law, I am not too proud to regift! and difficult child II got little bags of legos, he was not happy as we brought a gumball machine and a rootbeer kit. Which were the gifts the grown ups and non-difficult child's were slap boxing over.

KTMom91

At our family exchange last year, the grownups were fighting over the basket I'd put together with wine, crackers, and cheese. I try and bring things I wouldn't mind getting back. Miss KT does not handle these exchanges well at all, completely losing her sense of humor about it, and then we have conversations like the one listed above. Keeping fingers crossed that we get through with no meltdowns.