White Oleander--all too familiar

TerryJ2

I read White Oleander in two days. Everyone and their mother told me I'd love it. (Partly because I'm an artist.) I can't believe it took me this long to get to it.
But it's more than just identifying with-an artist. The literary sense of it, the poetry, is just beautiful. And the incredible manipulation by the characters, makes me think the author has known people like this. Sure, some of it is fiction, but I bet you ...
The other thing I liked was the interesting variety of foster families that were presented in the book. And the sympathetic way the foster kids were portrayed. Well researched. Again, I wonder how much is experience and how much was research.
Has anyone here read it?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I saw the movie. I really enjoyed the film. It was pretty intense and touching. Michelle Pfeiffer was good as well as the other actresses.
I should read it!

Steely

Cr@p I read the book in a day as well. Unbelievable book. And actually the movie was outstanding as well. I think I saw the movie first, which always makes a difference - because if I read the book first, then I have the characters all mapped out in my mind, and the movie does not compare.

Kind of like Beautiful Mind. I read that first, 600 pages, of sometimes laborious reading - but excellent. Then the movie summed it up in 2 hours, and missed in my opinion the meat of the whole book.

Anyhoo........yes great book.
And The Liars Club. Did I mention that? Similar to Glass Castles.