Who are your Favourite Authors

Marg's Man

The What Are You Reading Now? thread got me wondering.

I was going to put it as a supplementary question but it seemed more sensible to start a new thread...

So who is/are your favourite author/s?
I have no single favourite. At best I can only make a short list of writers whose brilliance prevents me from separating them from each other. In alphabetical order they would be:

Isaac Asimov - grand master of science fiction and inventor of the term Robotics. 'Nuff said!

Arthur Conan Doyle for the two most irascible heroes ever written about; Sherlock Holmes and Professor GE Challenger.

Jeffery Deaver for his realistic portrayal of contemporary forensic science in psychological thrillers.

Colleen McCullough for her Masters of Rome series. An absolutely superlative characterization of life in Republican Rome. My history in my school days was almost non-existent. Before I read this I had never heard of either Gaius Marius or Publius Cornelius Sulla or their influences on the man generally regarded by modern times as the greatest of all Romans. Historically quite accurate, this series awakened an interest in ancient History I was never able to achieve at school.

Edith Pargetter (writing as Ellis Peters) for her wonderfully gentle 20 murder mystery novels set in 12th Century England. Look for A Morbid Taste for Bones to meet her main character, the Benedictine herbalist monk and retired Crusader Brother Cadfael. Note though this is the weakest of the series because she hasn't got her characters properly established, that's achieved in the second book.

Terry Pratchett for his impish and intelligent humour especially the Discworld. You cannot read too far into his books with getting a belly laugh. He says that he has occasionally been accused of literature. You HAVE to be VERY widely read to 'get' every joke in his books. easy child 2/difficult child 2 is particularly obsessed with Pratchett. She had read many of his books but would tell us of times in school when she would burst out laughing during a lesson (usually English literature) as she suddenly 'got' another Pratchett witticism. If you like Harry Potter then you read Pratchett when you grow up.

Nigel Tranter for his amazing 90+ novels that bring the history of Scotland to life. Although I am a fifth generation Australian, my ancestral roots are in Scotland. Again my lack of history schooling let me down and these novels went a long way to educating me. Most importantly they showed me where to look to check on their accuracy.

Marg's Man

'Chelle

I read so much, the list is a long one. Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Robert McCammon, Robert Heinlein, George R.R. Martin, Raymond Feist, David Eddings, Terry Brooks, Anne McCaffrey, Jonathon Kellerman, John Grisham, Michael Crichton, Kate Mosse is a new fav, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Kathleen Woodweiss, Johanna Lindsay, Tolkein. Jane Austen, Alexandre Dumas favorite classics. Just to name a few.

The only Colleen McCullough book I've read is The Thorn Birds (before it was a mini-series LOL) and liked it. Will have to read the Masters of Rome series. In high school I fell in love with ancient Rome and ancient Greece and Roman & Greek gods. Read as much about the subject as I could. Actually like reading historical novels. I like the Kate Mosse books for that reason, and like the People books (First North Americans) by Kathleen O'Neal Gear & W. Michael Gear

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Dean Koontz

Robert Heinlen (sp?)

And the lady that wrote Harry Potter. I'm having a brain fart and can't recall her name for the life of me. lol

Marguerite

J K Rowling.

If you like her, then get a copy of one of Pratchett's Discworld books. It's been described as Harry Potter for grown-ups, or Tolkien on acid. Fantasy satire, a genre all to itself.

We also like Anne McCaffrey here too. I don't read everything husband does, bue he did get me turned on to Asimov. I'm not so much into Heinlein although I do like the concept of TANSTAAFL ("There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch") because it's something that's always important to remember - always look to see what people are getting out of what they do, if you want to plug into them and if you want to get something from them.

Marg

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Marg. :) And I'll try your suggestion.

The only Heinlein book I never "got" was Stranger in a Strange Land. I never got past chapter 2 and I must've tried 5 times. blah The rest I've read so many times I could probably quote them. And I LOVE TANSTAAFL!! Cuz my grandma used to tell me that as long as I could remember. lol

eekysign

Right now I'm plowing through Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series of trilogies---for those of you who like Anne McCaffrey, you'll probably like her stuff. Oh, and Neil Gaiman is a perennial fav as well---he's a bud of Pratchett's, so if you haven't read his stuff, you're in for a treat. Start with "Good Omens", they did the book together. It's wonderful.

Otherwise, the standard run of Heinlein (everything) Robin McKinley (everything, probably my absolutely favorite author), Anne McCaffrey (everything), Connie Willis (read the Doomsday Book!), Garth Nix (Sabriel series), Diana Gabaldon (yes, it LOOKS like a romance series, but it's not, and she's INCREDIBLE), and Tom Stoppard (playwright).

I love books. :)

KTMom91

Oh, wow...where to start? In my younger days, it was Beverly Cleary, Carolyn Keene, L.M. Montgomery, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Judy Blume. Now, it's Anita Shreve, Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Sparks, Ann Rule, Michael Crichton, John Grisham, Stephen King, Barbara Michaels, Jean Auel, Charlotte Vale Allen...what else do I have in there?

I also like biographies. Recently I've read about Lillian Gilbreth and Laura Ingalls Wilder.

As I keep telling Hubby...there are worse habits I could have than being a book junkie.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth & World Without End. I'm currently listening to Ruth Downie's Medica, & will go on to listen to her book Terra Incognita.

I loved the Franciscan Conspiracy by John Sack. Kate Jacobs The Friday Night Knitting Club was a wonderful listen as well (a tear jerker).

I enjoy JD Robb, Tess Gerritson, & don't get me started on Christopher Moore. His books are a hoot.

Marguerite

Eeky, you're a girl after my own heart.

I didn't have much time to write much before, I was very busy today. But now I have time to cast an eye across our bookshelves, I want to add to the list -

Arthur C Clarke - his attention to detail is meticulous, sometimes annoying but always fascinating. "Rendezvous With Rama" is humbling. Peter Benchley, who wrote "Jaws", also wrote a rather satirical, funny book called "Q Clearance".
Harry Harrison, who wrote "Stainless Steel rat" also wrote a couple of books I love (out of print now, unfortunately) about a reluctant Amerindian spy. "Montezuma's Revenge" followed by "Queen Victoria's Revenge" are both very funny as well as darn good spy thrillers.

And for the strong women among us, Kathy Lette is a riot. Viciously funny. A sort of female Ben Elton (also a family favourite).

After that we have Douglas Adams, Frederick Forsyth, James Herriot and a large number of other authors.

Poets - we have some collections of work by Hilaire Belloc, A copy of "Under Milkwood" by Dylan Thomas (I also love other work of his) and Aussie poets such as CJ Dennis ("The Sentimental Bloke"), Henry Lawson (fiction as well as poetry) and AB "Banjo" Patterson, who wrote "Man From Snowy River", "Clancy of the Overflow" and other wonderful, fun bush poems.

I'll have to look up more Neil Gaiman. I've probably read some of his collaborations with Pratchett, but anything that fits, I'll check out.

Marg

Pam R

Some of these are considered children's authors:

C.W.Anderson
Kate Seredy
James Michener
Nicholas Sparks
Richard Paul Evans
Frank Herbert
Sue Grafton
Robert Parker
Sara Paretsky
Linda Barnes
Rita Mae Brown
James Herriot
E.B.White
Cynthia Voight
Madeleine L'Engle
Miss Read
Anne Rivers Siddon
Micheal Pollan
Tony Hillerman
Leon Uris
May Sarton
J.K.Rowling
C.S. Lewis

Pam R.

BusynMember

Dean Koontz, John Clancy, Mary Higgins Clark, Sidney Sheldon, Jonathan Kellerman, Lisa Kleypas, Ann Rule (I love true crime), Robin Cook and Michael Palmer and Tess Gerritsen (I love medical thrillers).
I read all the time when I'm not writing.

tinamarie1

Barbara Johnson (a christian author)...I am reading When your child Breaks your heart
and Charlaine Harris~ reading the True Blood series she wrote under different titles

Marguerite

I meant to mention Barbara Johnson. I have a few of her books. My eldest sister gave me the first one, I found a few more at the local book exchange. I don't agree with everything she says, but her positive attitude overall is inspiring.

MWM, for a writer, reading is the best research you can do. Not just reading in your genre, either - I find Pratchett inspiring because it teaches me a lot about different point of view and originality.

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK I know we're adults but what about Stephenie Meyer? (She writes well even if the movie was terrible.) And Diana Gabaldon… Theodore Geisel, AKA Dr. Seuss… Kay Hooper, Patricia Cornwell, Nora Roberts, Nevada Barr, Diane Mott Davidson, Carole Nelson Douglas. (I love murder mysteries but can't watch CSI… Hmm.) Actually I'll read just about anything. I just finished 'A Brother's Journey' by Richard Pelzer who is the younger brother of the guy who wrote 'A Child Called It'. And I am also re-reading the third book in the Outlander series by Gabaldon since I expect a new one out this winter… Plus whatever else falls into my lap!

artana

Young readers and children's authors:

Diana Wynne Jones - Much as I like Terry Pratchett, I feel like Diana Wynne Jones has more substance to her. Her funny books have a lot of British humor. Her fantasy books are very imaginative and easy reads.

Garth Nix - Love Sabriel and the Keys to the Kingdom series.

Funke - InkHeart, InkSpell, and InkDeath.

Adult writers:

Charlaine Harris - Manages to blend mystery, dark fiction, and comfortable reading into a great time with a book. I love that she manages to toe the line with sexuality that many authors cannot, I can read her books (mostly) without getting shocked by something too explicit coming out of the woodwork.

Neil Gaiman - The master of dark fantasy (not horror). There is an amazing book called Good Omens, co-written by him and Pratchett. I highly recommend it.

David Duncan - For all those high fantasy needs.;)

Brandon Sanderson - The Hero of the Ages is one of the best series I've read. A little slow in the beginning at times, but it draws you right in and it's one of the best new author series I have read.

Robin Hobb - All her books.:)

everywoman

William Faulkner--As I lay Dying
Pat Conroy---Beach Music
Erskine Caldwell--Tobacco Road
Flannery 0'Conner
Eudora Welty
Alice Walker
Rick Bragg

Can you tell I love southern literature?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Oh wow....well, some of these are going to be repeats of previous posts but here goes:

Charlaine Harris (all of her series...she has at least 4 I can think of off the top of my head)

Dana Stabenow (I like 2 of her 3 that I know of but my favorite is the Kate Shugak series)

James Patterson (Alex Cross books, Women's Murder Club books and the Maximum Ride YA series)

JD Robb (In Death)

Jeff Lyndsay (The Dexter series)

Jeffrey Deaver (Lincoln Rhyme series)

PJ Tracey

Diane Mott Davidson

Sue Grafton

Patricia Cornwell

Carol O'Connel

MaryJanice Davidson

Michele Bardsley

Dakota Cassidy

Mark Henry

JR Ward

Lyndsay Sands

Judy Clemens

On a side note....if anyone is interested, there is a mystery lovers convention coming up in October. It's held yearly and this year is in Indianapolis. As far as conventions go, it's cheap ($150) and has a lot of authors going. You can go to the web page for it, click on Attendees off to the left and check out who is going. www.bouchercon2009.com

muttmeister

I don't know if I have an absolute favorite but I do enjoy the series by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody adventures), M. C. Beaton (I love Hamish MacBeth but am not as fond of Amanda Raisin), Rita Mae Brown (the dog and cats books), Agatha Christie. Michael Connelly, Clive Cussler, Jeffery Deaver, Tony Hillerman, and, especially, Janet Evanovich (I often laugh so hard I nearly fall out of my chair!).
I enjoy Douglas Adams, David Baldacci, Umberto Eco, and Salman Rushdie.
But I do think my absolute favorite is Mark Twain; I think he is one of the most underestimated and under appreciated American authors ever. And a lot of the things he wrote (particularly those with a political slant) are as timely today as they were when he wrote them.