who can deliver specially designed instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepperidge

My son's Special Education teacher is being put elsewhere. She will have an aide delivering her reading insturction. It seems unfathomable to me that an aide could deliver her instruction with the same degree of competence, even if she writes the lesson plans. Is this legal?

dadside

Some aides are at least as capable as the primary teacher. Some aides are certified teachers but for one reason or another unable to have a "regular" teaching position (budget cuts causing layoffs of low-seniority teachers has been one factor). So I guess whether it is legal or not depends on your state's law and the status of the individual's certification. And whether you should complain or not depends onhow good the aide actually is.

Sheila

Ask for the aide's credentials. S/he should have credentials that reflects her function in your child's specific area.

So much for "highly qualified teacher", huh?

PeaceSeeking

I agree that you want to investigate and make sure that the IA knows what they are doing. However, as a teacher who works with several IA's, I can truthfully say that if the teacher is designing the instruction specially, implementing that instruction can often be done competently by someone without a teaching degree as long as they are trained by the teacher in what to do. What you don't want is the IA planning the instruction; implementing is basically carrying out orders. I think the IA still needs to be taught what to do by the teacher, however. Saying, "Have the student point to the initial sound of the word as he sounds it out and then quickly move his finger under the rest of the word as he sounds out the rest of the word, like this: s-ail. If he gets it wrong, show him how to do it and then let him try it again," is not the same as, "Do these words with him."

Also, as both a teacher and a parent, I know that sometimes you have to be seen as "pushy" or even "difficult" to get what your child needs. I assume that the teacher wants to do what is right for your child, but you should be able to have that shown to you so that you can rest assured that that is what is really happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.