Who excercised today?

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I have a hip that wants to protest walking too much so I thought the non impact of the elliptical trainer may work. It's a bear getting old. I'll give it a try this week.
I like the machines for my arms. I hate the :censored2: bands used for resistance. LOL.</span>

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Fran, we have an elliptical and its a killer for me. I think the fact that I have short legs and thus a short stride makes it more difficult for me. We have one that can be elevated, not sure if all have that feature, but I know others who swear by it and it is much milder impact on joints. When we bought the ellitical the guy said the ones with the moving arm handle bars were a waste. He said that it didn't really work your arms and it would be better for your arms to do some weight training. I can barely chew gum and walk, so we have stationary handle bars.

Since I don't really glide on it, it seems much more like jumping along and I can only last about 10 minutes without keeling over.

We used to have a rowing machine at the place where I worked out and that was great. It was however, very noisy. There was a fan on the front that cooled you off, but was loud. I haven't used any newer rowers, so couldn't tell if they have improved, but I did love it because you could do arms and legs at the same time.

tiredmommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone used a rowing machine? Did you like it?
</div></div>

We have a Concept2. It's really a good workout. I'm trying to build up some stamina by jogging, then I will be starting to row again for more of an intense workout.

Nancy

Fran I just got back for my workout. I did the elliptical for 30 minutes and loved it. I'm ready to buy one. I could have gone for more than 30 but didn't want to push it. I felt like it was a better workout than the treadmill. Then I did 15 minutes on the treadmill and 15 on the bike. They were Life Fitness machines and were great.

Nancy

Wiped Out

Staff member
I did a high intensity workout today. I used the elliptical for 10 then went to a machine I don't know the name of (it has weights and your back is on it), then I went to the step machine, and finally the bike. I decided I needed a change!

Nancy

Oh I forgot, then I came home and made pasta with whole wheat penne. It was chewy and not the best tasting but my easy child told me at least I ate healthy LOL.

Nancy

Fran

Former desparate mom
I never had whole wheat pasta. I'm chicken. LOL.
I think I'll try the elliptical. Thanks for the feedback Nancy, Wiped out and wmm. It's supposed to be much better for the joints.

needabreak

hi everyone have been very busy the past couple days.i have been trying very hard to get in some exercise time but it has been hard.i found something that me and my difficult child can do together and its fun.me and my mom used to do it to help her do sit ups when i was young.first you both sit on the floor facing each other.if you have to you can cross your legs over each others.then you hold each others hands and whan you go back they go up.it helps cause each other is helping to go up and down.i tryed with my son and he had so much fun he thought it was funny and i got a little workout from it.its just something different to do if you get tired of doing the same old thing.any one else do anything different.

Martie

Fran,

When I first started all of this one year post-accident, I was in much worse shape than before the accident due to a year's worth of forced inactivity.

At first I found the elliptical too hard--my heart rate would go too high and it would shut down. Now I greatly prefer it because it is super easy on the joints and it burns many more calories per hour than anything else. I do a half hour on it easily and then do a half of recumbent bicycle. I don't go miles--I go minutes with my heart rate between 130 and 136.

You probably would not have any problems stating the elliptical because you are in good shape due to the treadmill. However, the idea of burning 400-450 calories in an hour--plus whatever I burn on the weight machines and with free weights is VERY appealing to me for an hour and half work-out

I use strength building machines--and Nancy is correct, it is very possible to get hurt. I have "perfect form"--not bragging, this is according to my trainer for the six machines he has trained me on--I never touch the other 8. I watch people "do it wrong" all the time and wonder what they are really doing to themselves. :nonono:

As I said earlier, I REALLY like free weights--if it were up to me, all I would do is free weights to keep me in a somewhat pain controlled condition. I'm doing the cardio to burn calories and for all the other health reasons. Free weights give one muscle "definition." I work on my arms a lot. Oprah may have had her "bat wings" tightened but I am going to build muscle and take care of that. Cellulite on my legs is another story. I am genetically predisposed, and am really strong (I can press 150 lbs with my legs) but the cellulite is here to stay :frown: . O well- can't have it all I guess, especially at my advanced age.

The downside to machines and weights is in my opinion you have to have a trainer. An elliptical would seem to be pretty hard to get hurt on unless you fell off!!!
:smile:

Martie

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Martie. I am doing 2 sessions/wk of weight and strength training for bone strength as well as tightening of the muscles. (they even make us do squats and lunges, much to my dismay)
I think trying the elliptical will be a good alternative to treadmill so I don't get bored. I'd like rowing because it covers everything but it's loud as someone mentioned.

I missed exercising Sunday. difficult child stopped by and that usually wipes me out. He never disappoints in that area.

Hopefully I will get to the little gym today after traveling.