*Who has kids graduating this year?*

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
No one understands more than I do how difficult school is for our kids, especially high school.

When ex and I adopted Rob it never occurred to us that he wouldn't go to college. Then, when reality hit, we thought Junior College, then high school diploma. When he went off the deep end at 16 we thought we'd have no problem accepting a GED, then we almost encouraged him to quit school altogether because it was just too dang hard on him and the family.

So I am just thrilled to keep reading these stories. I understand how battered everyone feels and what a joyous occasion it is.

Suz

Nancy

Suz my story is nearly identical. We too lowered our expectations each time it became apparent one of those goals would not be met. For some reason I want to see her get her diploma. It will give me some kind of closure. I always felt that high school graduation was a good memory that of course she would want to have, now it's for me because I know she doesn't have the same need for life milestones that I have.

I love reading all the stories here and in the news of the people that have overcome all sorts of odds to graduate.

Nancy

DDD

Do you mind if I share a "stranger" story in the midst of this family thread?

difficult child, as most of you know, has had a challenging time coping with peers, academics, his loyalty to his Mom vs. his loyalty to husband and me etc. I left the Graduation Saturday feeling thankful and proud.

THEN five blocks from the field on the sidewalk in front of my store I saw a heavy set black male walking alone proudly wearing his cap and gown. I recognized the kid. difficult child walked to his house one evening in 9th grade and called us to pick him up there. difficult child told us that the boy was a really really nice kid but his Daddy yelled at him all the time and accused him of being lazy and bad. difficult child said "I'm lucky."

I pulled the car over and easy child/difficult child said "My Mama would be happy to give you a lift home." The boy smiled and said "Thanks...I'll walk". easy child/difficult child said "OK, Man."......and then as we pulled away he hollered "Congratulations on your Graduation." The boy turned with a big smile and hollered back "thanks".

What makes a boy with-o loving support keep to the goal? So many of our kids have turned their back on achievement no matter how much we tried to guide them. That nameless boy will stay in my memory for quite some time. I bet he finds a way to be successful despite his home. DDD

DammitJanet

DDD...I dont know what makes some kids stick it out and some dont. Gosh I wish I had that answer. I know without a doubt Mandy wouldnt have made it if she hadnt "lucked up" and met Cory when she did. She was headed down down down. She was sleeping in a tent in the woods and on her last legs when she met him and he is a sucker for strays. He was able to persuade her to finish when he wasnt able to give himself the drive to finish is confusing to me.

DazedandConfused

Daughter graduates from HS next week. She actually finished in January and got her first job in april. I'm relieved more than proud. It has been a hellish last six months with both of my difficult children.

Anyway, check that one off the list.

Congratulations for all of our board families and graduates!

Nancy

Great story DDD. Our therapist told us the difference is resilience. If you have resilience you will turn out ok even in a bad situation. You are either born with it or not. My difficult child was not, I was. I did not have any support when I was in school. We basically had a dysfunctional family. No one encouraged me to go to college or helped me apply or even asked how it was going for four years. I did it on my own, got my own student loan, got a job and put myself through. I was determined at that early age to do well. For whatever reason I had resilience. My sister did not.

Nancy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Nancy, I've "known" J since she was a little girl. It's for darn sure that she and Rob brought us to our knees on many occasions. I'm so glad to hear you have embraced her graduation as a good memory for you. Take lots of pictures. One day it will hopefully be a good memory for her, too.

Suz