Who here likes goat cheese?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I LOVE it!

Last night at my monthly LNO, someone brought a cheese tray to our potluck. The gal's husband is head of food and beverage at a local Hilton, so it was a VERY well supplied cheese tray. :D There was a goat cheese on there that I absolutely love, Love, LOVE! It's made up near Humboldt, CA and I found the company's website. It's a little pricey, but I just may ask for some for my birthday next month... and a bottle of good cab or merlot to wash it down

http://www.cypressgrovechevre.com/

jal

Love it! Roll some in crushed walnuts and heat until softened. Place on a salad with-balsamic dressing. Too die for!

aninom

Goat cheese is the ONLY cheese. It is the king of cheeses, the ruler of the dairy. I put it on a heated-up baguette, then sprinkle black pepper on, some yellow and green paprika slices, some clementine clefts (I know it sounds weird but it truly makes the taste pop), green olives stuffed with paprika... and voila. The gift from god when you can't deal with your other one.

*experiences happy taste memories*

Lothlorien

OMG, I love goat cheese. I make a sundried tomato pesto and pour it over a block and then spread it over a baguette. It's always a hit when I bring it to a party or have it here.

We went to a local winery (yes, NJ has quite a few and they are good, too), recently. They had the most awesome goat cheese I've ever had. It was very fluffy and smooth. It didn't have the bite to it that some goat cheese has. OMG, I could have eaten a pound of it. It was very expensive though.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Love it. I bread it and fry it then put it in a salad. It's amazing. Yum.
I'm actually going to make it next week.

graceupongrace

Love it! The Humboldt Fog sounds really good -- but then, I'm a real cheesehead.

When I'm not eating goat cheese plain, I like to add it (crumbled) to salads. Two versions:

• Romaine lettuce, good tomatoes, chopped hard salami, sliced Persian cucumbers, lots of freshly ground black pepper, extra-virgin olive oil & red wine vinegar.
  • Baby greens, diced Fuji apples, candied pecans and raspberry vinaigrette. Sliced grilled chicken breast optional.

Marguerite

We always make a point of buyingDodoni brand feta chesse which is made from sheep's milk (very similar to goat cheese).

We've found that cheese made from either sheep or got's milk is similar, has a sharper flavour and is wonderful in a salad.

Boutique cheeses generally tend to be mor expensive, whether they're made from cow's milk, sheep's milk or goat's milk. We also have buffalo cheese in Australia, made from water buffalo milk.

Finding more commercial quantities can help bring the price down. Either that, or getting to know your local dairy and doing a deal with them, barter generally works well.

Marg

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I've done the goat milking thing (along with my sister) during the hippie era ~ I can pass on the goat cheese thing. Too many weird smelly memories. ;)

Marguerite

I grew up with goats. And other animals - we grew everything we could, were as self-sufficient as it's possible to be, in the suburbs. Keeping animals really ties you down, you can never go away for the holidays. But family togetherness takes on a whole new meaning when everyone pitches in for the garden chores, the harvest, etc.

We had sheep, goats, the occasional pig, poddy calves (and later on when we moved further out of the city, in-calf heifers and finally the house cow) plus chickens as well as the vegetable beds.

And we never made cheese from any of the milk!

I am horrified at how wasteful people are these days. We just were at our church for a Christmas gathering. We were tidying up, someone came looking for the milk to put in her tea and one of the women said, "Oh, I threw it out. It's right on its expiry date."

There was nothing wrong with it, I had just had a cup of coffee using it and I am very sensitive to sour milk. But people these days are governed by misunderstandings over what expiry dates mean. Milk isn't necessarily perfectly fresh until the expiry date, it doesn't suddenly go totally "off" when the expiry date is reached. Milk is how it always was - you sniff before you use it because some idiot may hve left it ouf othe fridge in the sun. And to pour it down the sink because the precautionary date stamped on te side matches the date on the calendar, is a knee-jerk wasteful reaction.

I didn't bother saying anything to the woman - she's the over-sensitive type and there was no point making a fuss over milk now gone down the drain.

In years gone by, that is how people made cheese. If cows udders (or goats udders) came stamped with a use-by date, wenever would have the gift of goat cheese!

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Between living in Europe for many years, and husband's having been a chef after leaving the service, I LOVE cheese. Goat and sheep's cheeses are real favorites of mine. I like both the fresh/brined cheeses and the aged ones.

A big difference with cheeses made stateside is that they have to be made with pastuerized milk which kiils many of natural enzymes and healthy flavoring bacteria that normally occur in milk