Who sews?

Marg's Man

Funny - I knew about Husqvarna sewing machines before I knew they made various plant cutting devices. As a bloke I'm supposed to know all about chain saws, lawnmowers, etc and nothing about sewing, cooking etc.

Blame my dad who was a cocky. He insisted I know it all - and be able to build it from fencing wire and roofing iron if I didn't actually have it but only if I cooked a meal and sewed the buttons on a pair of trousers I had just hemmed first.

Margs Man

TerryJ2

I have a Singer that was about $250, and I traded in a wonderful old machine that was worth far more than that ... but the repairs were adding up and it just didn't make sense (cents). :)
Definitely, take a class. It will be well worth it. I need to take a class, too. I have sewn for yrs--costumes for the kids, etc--and I am so bad at it, the kids couldn't wait to get out of whatever they were wearing because they were so uncomfortable. I make things that "look" good (Gee, ya think I'm an artist) but that are not well designed or well sewn, even with-a pattern.
The best thing to learn is just straight lines, and how to fold over a hem or seam that has ripped. That is 90% of sewing ... just repairing cheap clothes bought at the mall.
Good luck!

Marguerite

I do a lot of patching too. My boys would wear through the knees of their pants, including jeans, in the first wearing. I patch either over the top, or from the inside. Pin it in place, perhaps hand-stitch it in place (long basting stitches, remove later) then use three-step zig zag if you have it, to go over the join as well as a centimetre into the good area. Use a slightly darker shade, or the same shade, as the 'parent' fabric and really, it hardly shows. ordinary zig zag will do if you haven't got three-step, but it doesn't hold as well.

Marg