Whoa. Getting used to new glasses.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:smug: Can't decide yet if this new prescription is better or not. Guess I need to give it a day or two in order to adjust to my new specs. Meanwhile, I feel like I'm looking through a funhouse glass!

difficult child 1 got a new scrip today, too. He got -.25 stronger on one eye and -.50 more on the other. :laugh:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Ugh. I HATE getting used to new glasses, especially new bifocals. I need a new rx for my glasses and I'm putting it off if I can until I get my dental work finished.

flutterby

Fly away!
Did you get bifocals for the first time? I've never had trouble adjusting to new glasses if the prescription was right. But, I haven't had bifocals yet. Alas, it is coming soon. Very, very soon.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've been wearing bifocals since I was in my 20's. I found myself with one pair of glasses to read with and one pair to drive with.

I also found myself leaving one or the other all over Europe. It got really expensive after a while so I finally combined the two prescriptions into one set of glasses.

I can't wear the variable lens bifocals for some reason. I need the lined ones. Normally I don't even notice the lines.

However, get a set where the placement of the reading part is off, or worse, where the lines are in slightly different parts of each of the two lenses. Gak...(and I mean that literally)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup, they're bifocals... actually, I think they are trifocals... and they are the progressives without the line. I've had them for a while... they were hard to get used to at first, but now I like them. Except this new rx is a bit stronger, so my depth perception feels a little off. It's getting better slowly the longer I wear them. Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
At least the lenses don't have prisms in them for convergence issues. Prisms are a bear to get used to. Feels like your eyes are getting sucked out of your head when you try to focus.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
chicken lady, I've worn progressive lenses for years & love them. It took about a month to get used to them; I was told to follow my nose with my eyes & it worked.

I'm heading out to get a new pair this weekend.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Follow your nose :) That's a good suggestion. Just call me Toucan Sam!

I'm kinda wishing now that I got the anit-glare coating on them. There was a lot of reflective glare from oncoming headlights last night on the way home -- seemed like more than my old pair had...

Does that type of coating really work?

DammitJanet

I am supposed to be in bifocals but I simply couldnt get used to them. I tried the progressives first thinking that because I had never used the lined style I would simply adapt easier to the no lines easier. NOT! Idiot me got the stupid bifocals one day...heck 12 hours before we were heading out of town to go Hailies birth...lol. I couldnt go back the place I got them until I got back home.

Thankfully I got them at a place that I had a 2 for 1 deal and they fixed that pair into a lined pair and gave me my second pair just in distance vision with a tinted film on it. I lost the bifocal pair not long after I got them because I never used them anyway. My distance pair just stay in the car because that is the only place I use them. I squint everywhere else. Hard too because I have awful eyesight...lol. I really need to go get another prescription.

Star*

call 911........call 911
DF has the kind of coating that gets dark in the sun.....and loves it.....can't live without it. IS that what you're talking about?

CAN YOU SEE THIS??
SHOULD I WRITE BIGGER?
:tongue:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Who's BIGGER and why do you think you should write to him/her?

Nope, I'm talkin' 'bout the coating that reduces glare/reflections when you drive at night.

KTMom91

I tried that anti-glare stuff ONCE, and I'll never do it again. They scratched so easily I'd pretty much destroyed them within two months. And I wash them in warm water, dry them on an old clean cloth diaper...nope, not worth it in my opinion.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I've tried the anti-glare coating and had the same problem with it. And, I use a microfiber cloth and cleaning spray to clean my glasses.

It's a pity as between having my "normal" lousy night vision due to retinal problems, I also have the start of a cataract in my left eye that isn't helping with night vision at all.

Andy

Too late for this piece of advise but it may help someone else along the way.

After a few times of walking out of eye docs with new glasses and not really being able to walk in confidence (amazing how taller I get with each new prescription!), I started waiting until the NEXT day to start wearing new prescriptions. After a night's sleep, your eyes adjust easier to glasses than changing from one prescription to the next while you are awake.

For the bifocals or trifocals, do you tend to move your eyes alot up and down? If so, try slowing down that movement some to give your eyes more time to adjust. That is hard to do since our eye movements are so habitual - who "THINKS" about how they move from second to second?

Time to relearn to see. Need to train your eyes again and often times that means to slow everything way down until you get the movements down pat.

Good Luck!

donna723

If you can believe this, I wore the same glasses for TWELVE YEARS before I finally went to get new ones! Couldn't see a darned thing out of the old ones! And now I think I need to go again. But when I go these, it was such a drastic change that they warned me not to try to wear them to drive home. They said to put them on at home for a few hours at a time till I got used to them.

This all reminds me of taking my son to get badly needed glasses when he was about twelve. He had fought the idea of glasses for so long but he really needed them. I'll never forget him coming out of the doctors office with the new glasses on, he looked down, threw his arms up in the air, and said, "Whoa! The ground is closer up!" I had to take his arm and literally guide him along the sidewalk, down the curb and in to the car! And all the way home he kept staring out the car window - he hadn't been able to see before that the trees had individual leaves on them, not just big green blobs at the ends of the branches! And now, years later, he doesn't need them at all. He has no vision problems and had no trouble passing the eye test for his drivers license.