Whoever designed women's shorts

SRL

this season ought to be fired. I finally broke down and went shopping because the few pair I own have been around so long they're looking pretty ratty. I found plenty of women's shorts that are so short they barely cover the privates and plenty that were so long they might as well have been called pants. A bunch with cuffs to roll up a few times or elastic drawstring at the cuff. But plain shorts with at least part elastic waistband were hard to come by.

I finally found some. I've never shopped for myself in the men's department before. I can't say the fit is exquisite but they cover the right parts and are the right fabric weight so at least I have something.

Good thing I wasn't swimsuit shopping or else I'd really be ranting. ;)

witzend

Most of the time I wear "skorts" now. They're a little longer, and they make your thighs look slimmer. I usually get them at Costco.

BusynMember

:faint: I know what you mean...lol. I always get my shorts in the men's department these days. I'm not going to try to look like a 55 year old hussy and I am starting to get visible veins in some spots and the shape of my legs are not what they once were, believe it or not :D. I do that for slacks though too a lot. At my age, I feel I've passed a milestone and no longer need to try to look attractive--I feel I deserve the luxury of just being comfortable.

As for bathing suits...ugh! I don't even want to think about that! :sick:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Shorts are a pain to shop for. I just did today, found three pair that come almost to the knee which is how I like them but had to search for them. Don't even get me going on swimsuit shopping!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I found a few like you said you were looking for at walmart on clearance. I snatched them right up, 3 pairs. I like to have my important parts covered, but dang it I don't want the things down to my knees. sheesh

hugs

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The most comfortable fitting [in a decent length] shorts I can find are at Dicks. They just fit nice and they are a feminine cut, so they aren't boxy. And they aren't so short that I risk baring my everything, if you know what I mean. They only come in earthy colors though, but black too.

everywoman

Witz, I wear a lot of skorts too. They just look so nice to go out in. Haven't found any this year, but I have a few from years past that still look pretty good.

Lothlorien

I wear light cotton capris. I hate shorts, now. It is one article of clothing that is hard to find the right fit and length, so I gave up.

Marguerite

When all else fails, make your own. It's a fairly simple pattern, easy to make. Especially the elastic waist ones. And you can then make them exactly to your own measurements.

Given the time it takes to shop for them and not find what you want, you could even make them in less time!

Marg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I found a few pair at WalMart, but honestly? I found some GREAT ones at JC Penney in May. Room for hips, but not baggy, medium weight and lightweight, come to about an inch above my knees.

And I hate my legs, but I also no longer care as long as I am comfy!

Andy

I would like to fire everyone involved in the "fashion" world. Who cares if a certain thing is in "fashion" - if it is ugly or uncomfortable I do not want it. Fine for those willing to put up with the "latest trends" but I will use common sense in my clothes thank you. So, stop filling stores with ugly unwearable clothes and have a LARGE selection of common sense easy to wear outfits. I don't want to deprive the "trendy" people their fun but am just asking for equal selections.

I don't think it fair for the "fashion" leaders to be deciding what people should be buying thus if you don't like it, you can't find what you want. You wait for the next season and hope someone will get rid of the ugly colors or prints and weird fitting clothes. Sometimes the wait is for years so when you find something you can actually wear, you better buy up.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I'm with Witz on the skorts from Costco....... I bought one is every color and two of grey and navy. The ones I have are made out of light jersey (sweatshirt material). They are great, I can dress them up a bit or wear them to work in the yard. Disappointed that I can't find them now, they are lizwear, Liz Clayborne, if I am allowed to mention brand names.

KTMom91

I got two pairs I really liked at Walmart. Heading back there tomorrow hoping to get some more. I haven't found anything decent to wear in ages...seems the "fashion experts" think those of us who are overweight and short should wear nasty polyester things in hideous colors.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Marg, LOL! I would have to know how to sew to do that!!!
I have to learn to love shorts, skirts etc. It was 112 in the heart of Tucson yesterday (From the concrete and asphalt).

Also bathing suits... not much choice. I love The lead on 30 Rock, she had a skit where she was purchasing a bathing suit, it was the newest thing, A "Tankcourt" I laughed so hard... perfect! Basically covering every part of our bodies!

I have 2 pairs of short/shorts that are 10 years old. I wear them around the house some times, husband always asks, "why don't you wear those more often?"
yeah sure!
Muffin tops, grannies hanging out and cellulite...