Whoopi defends Michael Vick

Kathy813

Staff member
Now I have heard everything. On her first day on The View, Whoopi defended Michael Vick. She basically said that he couldn't help it because he was brought up in the deep south.

Gee, I've never been to a single dog fight in the 25+ years that I have lived in the deep south. Nor has anyone I know.

She actually said that southerners had a different relationship with their dogs. I guess my little Shih Tzu better watch out. I may throw her in the ring tomorrow.

Sheesh. :hammer:

~Kathy

klmno

I agree with you- I can accept other people who grew up hunting- but not killing their dogs or raising them for sport. Vick always had runors flying around when he was in college- even though he was a good athlete- that he played a little too dirty and something just wasn't quite right. I like Whoopi, but I'm disappointed in her for this.

Kathy813

Staff member
I am always amazed when I hear the southern stereotypes that still seem to exist.

I like Whoopi, too, which was why I was really shocked to hear her say that.

~Kathy

klmno

For some reason, my lhasa apsos don't seem to be too worried- one is in bed with difficult child and the other is waiting on me to take him to bed- it is really a shame that some pets never know what being a pet is. It's really a shame that Vick can't understand it and I don't think he ever will.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Just because they're stars doesn't mean they are intelligent or worldly or wise.

I won't hop on my soapbox, but honestly I don't care to listen to famous people opinions on subjects or politics. Stars are no better than the rest of us.

What he did was illegal and immoral. Doesn't matter where he came from. :rolleyes:

Saying this, I like Whoopi. She makes me laugh. I just don't usually agree with her in other areas.

by the way Dog fighting is rampant around here. You have to keep a close eye on your canine friends or they just might come up missing out of the yard to be used as a bait dog for dog fighting. If you're smart you don't give away any pup or dog for free for the same reason. You always charge an adoption fee. Our humane society had to get security and new fencing because they kept getting broken into and pit bulls were stolen, among other dogs.

easy child's pup was stolen right out of the front yard. We know she was stolen because she wouldn't ever leave the yard, period. I've been a bit touchy with this subject since then.

donna723

This is so totally disgusting, on so many levels. For her to imply that he should be "excused" for his behavior because he's from the South and dog fighting is part of his culture ... OMG! I don't know if I'm more offended as a dog owner or as a Southerner! I have always liked Whoopi Goldburg, but not any more. I think her total experience with "the South" was probably watching "Deliverance" a few times! How ignorant!

I've lived in the rural South since I was a kid, and I've never seen anything like this, and I've never known even one person that would condone dog fighting or the cruel, sick torture of animals. And I am soooo very tired of hearing Southerners stereotyped as a bunch of inbred slack-jawed banjo pickers!

I have already emailed ABC TV with my thoughts on this, and I urge anyone else who feels the same way to do so too. Do they do this on purpose on the theory that stirring up controversy will get them a larger viewing audience? I think it backfired on them this time! I wonder if Barbara Walters is aware that they use cute little dogs like her "Cha Cha" as BAIT!

F

flutterbee

Another reason to always charge an adoption fee is to deter people from getting animals just to sell to labs.

I'm disappointed in Whoopi.

donna723

Oh, and I forgot to add that my two spoiled rotten little Boston girls are undefeated in the ring so far this year! Right now one is snoring in her crate and the other one is spinning in circles with a ball in her mouth, making herself dizzy! I've got $20 on the little fat one!

:thumb:

DazedandConfused

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> “This is part of his cultural upbringing… This is a kid who comes from a culture where this is not questioned.”
</div></div>

Not only does the guy have a vicious cruel streak, he also is a complete moron (southern to boot!) if one were to agree with Whoopie. It's not like he was raised where there was no TV or exposure to the outside world. He obviously KNEW it was illegal. The dude went to college!He didn't come up age in some back woods swamp with a 2nd grade education.

Conclusion:Vick is too much of a nitwit to question the ethics, and morals, of his own "cultural" upbringing.

Well, as the saying goes: Open mouth, insert foot!

Like, totally, good one, Whoop!(Whada dope!)

I suppose it's okay to be abusive your spouse just as long as it's part of your cultural upbringing. :rolleyes:

witzend

Somehow it doesn't compute to me that a kid who was groomed to be a successful starting quarterback in the NFL grew up so backwards and so far out in the boonies that he didn't know that it wasn't ok to fight dogs and viciously kill the losers in the name of "sport". The man has no conscience. But then, I suppose some might think that's my high-fallutin' city ways.

It does seem likely that this was a stupid off-hand remark that she made that some producer thought would get a lot of people watching the program to see what outrageous thing she'd say next. Not me.

What disturbs me the most is that Whoopi seems to be feeding into the ugliness of bigotry. And that's all I have to say about that.

susiestar

Roll With It
OH Nomad, our doxie loved clothes too.

I quit watching the view years ago when the "discussions" seemed a little too pat. Not enough real discussing. Like with intelligent opinions. I'd rather watch something else. Like law and order. Or whatever. Even the latest whatever is on after/before the news.

The View wants a forum with "different views" What Vick did was so horrible there aren't too many different views you can say with-o resorting to stereotypes or Jerry Springer type things (and yes, I was born in Cinci, and he was our mayor when he wrote the check to the pro so I can use that phrase, nyah nyah nyah) so how else do they bring up Vick??? Someone had to say something totally stupid. If they all agreed he was horrible, well, wouldn't they be doing soemthing more intelligent than having coffee?? I forget what the show did years ago to tork me, but they did it good, LOL!!

Susie

TerryJ2

Uh, excuse me, but I live 45 min. from Vick's dogfighting house. This has nothing to do with-the Deep South and everything to do with-being a loser.
Whoopie is as full of it as Vick is.

Marguerite

Is it possible Whoopi was being satirical? A bit like the Dame Edna quote which upset Salma Hayek, something about needing to learn Spanish so she could communicate with her maid - Barry Humphries was making an anti-racist point and it got totally misinterpreted as being racist.

I'm wondering if Whoopi was trying to say that attitudes in the south that seem to be 'soft' on dog-fighting had better change.

We don't get news of this sort of thing down here, so I'm totally shooting blind on this one. But I've always seen her as someone with a brain - if she really meant this, I would be very disappointed in her. It just doesn't seem to fit.

Marg

Lothlorien

So, if her thinking is correct, people who grow up in a gang infested neighborhood should be excused when they do a drive by,killing an 8 year old, because that's how they grew up?

A man who grew up being molested as a child should be excused for molesting a young child, because that's how he was brought up?

Their are too many situations that line of thinking can be applied to.

This line of thinking is just so way off base and distorted. This is exactly the reason that I think mainstream Hollywood is cracked and I wouldn't take any of them seriously. Most of them need to have their lips sewn shut when not acting.

Marguerite

I just tracked down some information - a news story, which also gave a link to Vick's sworn statement to police in which he plead guilty.

From what I could find, Whoopi Goldberg was not saying that Vick had been hard done by or treated unfairly. She was simply saying that in his environment while growing up, this sort of thing was commonplace and acceptable. She did not say that this is acceptable, in fact she said it was not. But she DID say that for Vick, he simply didn't understand, until he had to see it in perspective, that what he did was not OK. She did say that this was a very sad thing, that someone can grow up to think that this could be OK.

From what I have seen of the case, I think she could be right - when he realised that this was a practice considered unacceptable by most people, he plead guilty.

This, of course, does not bring back to life the many dogs slaughtered in such a cruel manner. Whether it does anything to send a message to a lot of other people who are continuing this practice - I simply don't know. Do such people even watch the news?

Bullfighting is culturally acceptable in Spain. The running of the bulls in Pamplona is also a tourist attraction, despite the trauma it causes to the animals. We have tourist holidays which include a trip to Pamplona, a lot of young Aussie males make the trip purely to run with the bulls. It's a rite of passage. And at some stage, laws could be passed making it illegal. I suspect a lot of young men would get caught by such a law.

There are other sports, similarly barbaric, sometimes legal and sometimes not. I visited a man who was on a committee I was also on - we needed his signature for some paperwork to be distributed - and on his wall was a magnificent zebra skin. "Yes, I shot it myself," he told us proudly. "I was on a safari, I paid a lot of money to be taken hunting for that zebra. But it was worth it."
We got his signature and got out of there, not daring to ask him how he had got the contraband skin into the country. Or maybe it was before our Customs put a moratorium on such imports.
We used to be able to import from India, stuffed mongoose and cobra, in tableau indicating a fight to the death. I remember being shown one, belonging to the father of a friend.
They are now illegal to be brought into Australia, but they still get in. In some countries, they are not illegal imports.

To acquire these artefacts causes a lot of pain and suffering to the animals involved. In a lot of cases, the animals are also endangered. The sheer principle of hunting/fighting animals for sport is anathema to so many of us that we forget - for many in the world this is a moral livelihood.

Perhaps the best thing that could come out of this is for someone like Michael Vick to become a spokesperson for animals, to come out and say, "I did this, I was wrong. Don't do what I did - find some other way that isn't so cruel and isn't illegal."

To simply say, "Let's attack him. Let's boycott everything he's ever done, ever stood for," doesn't solve anything really. What works best is to try to turn attitudes around. The best way to do this is NOT to become like the thing you hate.

Marg

Kathy813

Staff member
Marg ~ You need to listen to what she said. She hesitated and then said "deep south" like it explained everything.

There is a stereotype in the United States that all southerners are backward and rednecks. She was playing right into the stereotype.

~Kathy

DammitJanet

Marg....

I understand you arent from the US and you dont know this case. Micheal Vick did know it was wrong. For him to say he didnt is laughable. He has said many things in his plea which people who know anything about dog fighting know simply are out and out lies. He claims he fought the dogs but he never bet on them. Ok...then why did he do it? If he didnt do it for the gambling, he is a sicker puppy than we all think because he had to do it for the simple bloodlust...to see dogs die. But he cant say he gambled because that is a bigger problem in the NFL.

Whoopi knows what this is all about. She knows Micheal Vick wasnt some poor kid brought up in the rural south. VA isnt the rural south. If she thinks it is, she needs a map. Micheal Vick went to one of the best colleges in this country. He isnt some country bumpkin.

I live in an area where dog fighting is rampant. Even down here people are outraged at the way Vick treated his animals. No one kills their dogs the way Vick did. Hanging, electrocution, slamming animals to the ground, drowning? The man is barbaric. He took a plea so none of this would be read in open court. That would hurt his career in the NFL way too much.

What really upsets me even more than what the hollywood crowd is saying is the fact that Vick is not having to repay his salary...at least I dont think he is. I havent heard yet how this is all going to play out with the Falcons. I think he should have to give back all the bonuses and advanced salary money he has received. If a soldier here gets an enlistment bonus and he gets hurt in combat and cant finish his tour, he has to repay it. If its good enough for our men in combat, its good enough for a jailbird.

muttmeister

Guys, I watched this show yesterday and I heard what she said. I heard her say specifically, SEVERAL TIMES, that she did NOT feel that this excused his behavior; she only said that he was raised in a different culture and that might have some bearing on his behavior. What she said may have been some what ill advised but I don't think she should be getting all of the flack she is getting because half of what I've read that she said never came out of her mouth.
I went to a large college known for football, and I can tell you that a lot of these football players come directly from cultures that are totally alien to what you would consider normal for a university. They are bred and raised to be good at one thing: football. They have tutors to get them through classes and they learn very little of what "normal" people are like as they spend all of their time on the football field with people babysitting them 24/7 to try (often unsuccessfully) to keep them out of trouble. The idea that Michael Vick could be raised in a backward manner and reach the NFL without learning the finer points of life fits EXACTLY with what I have seen over and over and over. And, no, I'm not excusing him either. You can tell from my screen name that I am a dog lover and as far as I'm concerned, they should do to him what he did to those dogs.
However, I do think maybe Whoopie is getting a bad rap as I did not hear her say the things she is supposed to have said and I was watching.