Why can't she want cupcakes?

tiredmommy

So Duckie's birthday is next week and she doesn't want cupcakes, popsicles, ice cream, or nothing simple for her birthday celebration in school.

She wants a taco bar!

I need a little help figuring out how much of each ingredient I need for a total of 24 soft-shelled tacos. They won't be over-stuffed, and here are the ingredients offered:

8" tortilla
seasoned ground beef
salsa
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
diced tomato
sour cream
sliced black olives

So, what's your best guess at how much I'll need of each?

Mattsmom277

I would say do several pounds of ground beef. It does freeze well and obviously Duckie loves tacos so shouldn't go to waste. Perhaps make a small amount a few days ahead for lunch. calculate how much you used of your cooked portion for one taco, measure and calculate how much your current recipe makes. Then multiply to ensure you buy enough? You're a great mom. A taco bar!! I think that's awesome!

susiestar

Roll With It
From what I can remember, and find online, Taco Bell figures 6-8 tacos per pound. I would say 4 lbs ground beef for taco meat, 1-1/2 head shredded lettuce (depends on how much lettuce the kids will actually eat), 2 pounds grated cheese, 1 large jar salsa (about 18-24 ounces), 2 tomatoes (maybe 3), 1 larger size sour cream (fat free?), and 1 can sliced olives. If providing jalapenos use 1 small jar that is already sliced. Leftovers will keep or go into salad, etc...

It sounds like a blast providing the class can take enough time to enjoy it.

Happy Birthday Duckie!!

busywend

They allow you to bring non-store bought items into school? We have not been able to do that for several years here.

Lothlorien

Ditto Wendy. I'd check with the teacher anyway, to make sure it's okay with her to bring al that in. Where does Duckie come up with this stuff?

susiestar

Roll With It
I like Duckie's sense of individuality - she sure dances to her own drummer!! So far we don't have to bring packaged items only in as long as we are sensitive if a child in the class has food allergies. For the most part the teachers keep things on hand for the kids who might react to something. Our teachers work hard to focus on not having too many sweets at parties and bdays, so a taco bar would be LOVED (by the kids, too).

If packaged or restaurant food is all that is allowed, ask about a platter or party size tacos. We have a chain called Taco Bueno that has them for a fairly reasonable price for parties, etc... Another option is to see if there are any deals for pizza at places that have "taco pizza". Here we can get pizza with salsa, taco meat, and cheddar - black olives are extra. Some even put lettuce and sour cream on the top. husband LOVES these and so do the kids. Pizza might be more cost effective if you can get them to cut smaller slices. Otherwise check out the frozen food section, providing that you can bring in a version that fits Duckie's allergies/sensitivities that is for her.

A baked potato bar would be easier to do if you have to do packaged food. See if you can make a deal with a restaurant owner to bake small size potatoes for you, provide new containers of margarine, sour cream, frozen broccoli to microwave at school, etc...You could just give each kid a potato and let them dish out the toppings.

What do you plan to serve the food on? If you have access to a Sam's or Costco, consider buying chubs - those paper basket like containers that ball parks serve nachos, fries, etc... in at some places. They are cheaper than plates and less likely to spill because they are more like bowls than plates. (They are great around the house for snacks, etc... also.) I dropped some off with snacks for thank you's class a couple of years ago and the teacher begged to know where I got them. I ended up donating a box because they were so handy for projects, etc... and did a better job of keeping the crumbs corralled so cleanup was easier. They don't go with a "theme" unless it is red and white but they make life a lot easier to clean up.

DDD

I would imagine that cupcakes are for babies, lol. I'd also imagine that she wants something that will catch the notice of her peers.

If you're not on a strict budget I would suggest preparing way too much and then freezing the leftovers that can be frozen and incorporating the other leftovers into your meal plan for the family. on the other hand, I do come from a family where "running out" would be a major embarrassment.

I'd also check with the teacher. The rules change so frequently on what is allowed and what isn't allowed.. DDD

PS: If you're planning on having cookies available remember to avoid anything with nuts. It's amazing how many people have allergic reactions to things.

Mattsmom277

Just had a thought, for ease of preparation perhaps cook the taco filling and then put it into a slow cooker on low. You can then transport the meat already warm into the school and if the other toppings are all in containers ready to go, there is virtually zero prep at the school other than lining up toppings.

Those containers mentioned sound ideal although I'm sure paper plates would do the job (I love those containers though, did not know they could be bought for home use, how awesome! I want some!).
Whichever route you go, you could prep enough plates ahead as well. Just start with a plate, put a soft taco shell on it, top with paper towel or napkin, and stack that way until you have one for every child and for the teacher. The teacher will love the thought you put into ensuring the process of serving everyone is speedy.

I want to be a kid again and want you to be my pseudo-mom okay? Darnit, I want my own taco bar!!! Throw in a popsicle for a dessert and you'd escalate to hero level haha

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone!

Sharon- I tried your link but it unfortunately isn't working. :(

Susie- thanks for the jumping off point, I'll crunch the numbers. We've already done pizza one year (was it first or second grade?), lol! I'll be serving on paper plates and giving out napkins. I'll actually bring vinyl gloves & wrap the tacos myself to help keep things tidy.

Wendy- Yes, we can still bring in non-sore bought as long as it conforms with any allergy issues in the class.

Loth- I had Duckie ask the teacher and verified that she approved it.

DDD- I probably will make extra, I'd be embarrassed too if we ran out, lol!

M- the slow cooker and containers is exactly what I plan to do (great minds...). I won't be serving popsicles but I will be bringing in flavored juice pouches. ;)

susiestar

Roll With It
Consider using foil or wax paper to wrap around the taco the help keep things extra tidy as they eat. You can get precut wax paper or foil at Sams or cut your own. You could also probably get a handful of the wax paper from the self serve donut/pastry section of the grocery. Often if I need just a handful of something like that I will ask a manager if I could buy say 30 sheets from the box out by the donuts. Or once the stores here were out of straws for some unknown reason - I went to 3 groceries and none had them, so I stopped at McDonald's for a coffee and asked the mgr if I could buy 30 straws. He laughed and said usually people take whatever they want. I said I tried to buy them but the stores (named them) were out. The bonus of asking for that is that the manager will remember you as the nice, polite, kooky lady who asked for something other people just take. Then if you have a problem he is far more likely to go above and beyond to help you and if you ever need a donation he will be far more willing to give you whatever. FYI if the PTA or whomever ever needs a prize for each kid most fast food places have leftovers of past promotions in storage and are quite likely to donate them to you. Just print up a letter iwth the group name and address at the top, thank them for donating X for the 3rd grade class. Sign your name and "parent volunteer". It is usually pretty easy. McDonalds will also often donate orange drink in those big igloo dispensers if you ask ahead of time for a school event or for a sports groupor whatever.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Wow TM, Duckie is quite the individual with her choices for birthday celebration at school.

I'm also surprised you're allowed to bring in food that is being prepared at home. Our SD will only allowed packaged/sealed food items from the grocery store. No homemade cookies, cupcakes, let alone a taco bar. Very cool.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sorry the link didn't work-figures, I always have a hard time posting links!! by the way, we can still bring in homemade things as well!

KTMom91

I love the taco bar idea!

Our district also allows homemade stuff; kids are always bringing in treats for birthdays.

TerryJ2

Awesome! She's creative!

Sorry it's a PITA ... have you heard of corn chip tacos in a bag? You buy a bunch of lunch-sized Doritos or whatever brand you want, then have the kids pop open the bags, and go down the line and fill the bags with-shredded cheese, black olives, ground beef, whatever. They close the bags and shake them, then eat right out of the bag, either by dumping it in their mouths, or using a spork. (Did I say "spork"? :} )

No dishes--everything is on paper plates, and the Dorito bags get thrown away, too.

susiestar

Roll With It
Terry, that sounds COOL! We put off thank you's birthday party at school because we had the flu running around. I bet he would really like this - esp as he adores doritos and the flavors they have come out with lately. This could be a lot of fun.

LittleDudesMom

Terry,

we actually did that one time with bags of fritos! Added taco meat, cheese and salsa - The kids loved it! They got a spoon and a bag - they thought it was so cool and it was not messy at all.

Happy Birthday Duckie!!

Sharon

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. I'll be loading up the car to head over to the school soon. Her teacher is letting me in the class early while the class is in art so hopefully ( ;) ) things go well. On a side note.... she asked NOT to have a birthday cake at home today, but wants a coconut cream pie. :rofl:

busywend

Oh my - she is a piece of work that one! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUCKIE!

Enjoy, TM - these bdays go by so quickly. Then they are 20.