Why do I do this to myself

Lothlorien

I am having a kids "joint" birthday party. Mighty Mouse wanted to have a pool party and Missy's birthday is at the end of June. I told him I would have a combined party.

Last year, I took a few of Missy's friends out and didn't tell her what we were doing until we got there. Helps to avoid the anxiety issues, plus she plans things and when things don't go the way she plans them out in her head, she flips out. The month of June went well and I thought...no more parties; this is the way I'm going to do things. In the past, the whole month of June was a disaster. Well, this is the case this year. Stupid me.

Busting my behind to then have to deal with fighting, screaming, defiance and everything else is just making me one ticked off witch today. I want to and have threatened to cancel the whole thing. It's not just Missy; Mighty Mouse is a royal pia too.

husband is miserable and stressed. Can I just get some love and prayers that I get through the day and husband gets through the day without blowing our collective gaskets?

I promise, no more birthday parties....ever. I'm done!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lots of hugs... You'll survive it. You may go temporarily insane, but it will fade.

I've quit "planning" birthday parties. I give the kids a date, get a cake and ice cream, and let them do whatever. Usually this results in a bunch of kids running around the back yard screaming and laughing. NO MORE BIRTHDAY SLEEP OVERS, though.

...More hugs...

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Loth, sweetie, what were you thinking? Sending prayers & positive thoughts that we don't hear the explosion or a shocking headline at day's end.

by the way, don't forget to pour yourself a relaxing glass of wine at day's end & have the kiddos clean up any mess left from the party.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Remember to breeeeathe! You can do this, and you will survive, and you will learn not to do it again. I think we all have done stuff like this in the intereste of making everyone happy, everyon but ourselves that is!

Hang in there and don't forget that glass of wine Linda suggested!

TerryJ2

Ahhhh, how soon we forget ...

Our parties have gotten smaller and smaller as the yrs go on. For good reason.

I hope you survive the day. I'll bet they both have a good time, and beg for one or two friends to spend the night. :tongue:

susiestar

Roll With It
Lots of hugs, prayers, understanding, and a big glass of wine to help you through the day.

Make a note on the next year's calendar in April, May AND June that there will be NO birthday parties except surprise ones. It sounds like the surprise party was more fun for the kids anyway.

I tend to do park/pool parties. I take the food and games or whatever to a park next to the community pool. We do the birthday stuff then I pay for everyone to swim. It is relaxing for me, no messes at home to worry about, and the kids can run off all the sugar in the park and swim it off in the pool. Then they sleep when they get home!!!

tiredmommy

Good luck... I sooooo understand about the party anxiety. My solution has been to set a party agenda with-Duckie. Once it's set, it's set. She understands that I make the final decision on all activities since I do the lion's share of the work. As is, I'm a stressed-out anxious mess about her annual pool party on Friday because the house and yard just aren't coming together the way I'd like. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, lol! Give a "Happy Birthday" to the kids from their board auntie. :)

Lothlorien

I survived.....barely. I'm exhausted. My kids went to one of the neighbors' house for a couple of hours and I had some peace to do what I had to do. Unfortunately, husband wasn't here the whole day, so I ended up doing all of the work. He was working and didn't get home until after 6pm, when the majority of the kids had already left. At least he brought home some wine. 1 and 1/2 glasses later, I fell asleep and was out for the rest of the evening.

Now, the kids have some new toys to keep them occupied and I have to get ready for the family tonight for Father's Day. I have lots of macaroni salad, fruit salad and potato salad left from yesterday, so at least I don't have a ton of stuff to make.

busywend

Sorry I missed sending you some birthday party mojo - glad it is over and well, that it is over - LOL!!!

Good idea on the wine!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Ohhhhhhh Ohhhhhhhhhh..........My birthday and Mstangs birthday are only about 2 weeks apart!!!!! Could'ja.....Huh? Would'ja?

I love parties......(just don't get that Mstang a donkey and me a stick pony) ........You think your kids were bad??? Mwah haha haahahah.

Glad you survived......(barely)