why does she touch everyones crotch?

megs79

my child has problems keeping her hands to herself. she is constantly getting in trouble for kissing, and touching or hitting other children at daycare in the crotch region. i realize she might be curious but she does it to see if she can hurt them.
she has a very high tolerance for pain and rarely cries when spanked, or gets an "owie". im not sure if she does it to see what hurts others physically and in the specific area due to curiosity of sexuality.
help, whats the deal??

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hi! Has she been evaluation'd by an Occupational Therapist (OT)? Just curious because K my now 7yo and even N my 4yo who both have different types of sensory processing disorder (SPD)/Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)... have joint proprioception issues. K especially needs to have strong tactile input. She has a hard time telling how much and how hard she is touching something. She needs a lot of sensory input, At times. and then at other times with other things like noises she needs less.
Because she has BiPolar (BP) as well she is overstimed and hypersexual.... so when you combine the 2... she is always rubbing and touching. Mostly herself.
But she did touch others all over but only because she was unaware. She is unaware socially and physically. Our Occupational Therapist (OT) helped us a lot.
N touches a lot but because she is understimed and needs to be heightened. Or *picked up* she rubs peoples faces, loves bald heads, whiskers. Fabrics, textures etc... she tastes things smells things. These are all Sensory things for both of my kids but manifest in different ways.
It might be worth checking out.

SRL

It's not at all typical for a girl of this age to have this much emphasis on kissing and the crotch area. In addition to what totoro mentioned, the other thing a parent in your shoes should consider is whether she may have been a victim of molestation. I know no parent likes to think along those lines but this is not at typical 4 year old behavior.

What do her preschool teachers say?

smallworld

Meghan, we're not doctors and can't diagnosis over the internet, but in my experience as a parent, inappropriate touching of a sexual nature falls into three categories: first, molestation, as SRL mentioned; second, hypersexual behavior related to bipolar disorder (and BiPolar (BP) is hereditary); and three, "cluelessness" about what is socially appropriate, which is related to Autistic Spectrum Disorder.

As others have urged you in the General Forum, I'd strongly recommend a thorough evaluation by a neuropsychologist, a developmental pediatrician or a multidisciplinary team at a children's or university teaching hospital. You need to figure out what is going on with your daughter so you can put the appropriate interventions into place. Good luck.

Shelia

Shelia
Hey Yall,
I have a five year old in kindergarten and he has been in trouble recently for kissing other little kids on the head and shirt. I read the post below with interest. My son has had sensory issues since he was small....he has always had trouble with sucking a bottle, eating, and can't stand tags in his clothes. He currently doesn't seem to have some of the more serious sensory issues that some children seem to suffer with so I didn't associate the kissing kids shirts as something to do with sensory stimulation. If you don't mind my asking what types of things did the Occupational Therapist (OT) do? My son had an occupational therapist until he was 3....but unfortunately I think they missed alot of things that he is having problems with now.

I agree with the other person that posted....you need to rule out the possibility that the child was molested. Even if the child has other issues....it is still possible.

Good Luck, Shelia

Re: why does she touch everyones crotch?

Hi! Has she been evaluation'd by an Occupational Therapist (OT)? Just curious because K my now 7yo and even N my 4yo who both have different types of sensory processing disorder (SPD)/Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)... have joint proprioception issues. K especially needs to have strong tactile input. She has a hard time telling how much and how hard she is touching something. She needs a lot of sensory input, At times. and then at other times with other things like noises she needs less.
Because she has BiPolar (BP) as well she is overstimed and hypersexual.... so when you combine the 2... she is always rubbing and touching. Mostly herself.
But she did touch others all over but only because she was unaware. She is unaware socially and physically. Our Occupational Therapist (OT) helped us a lot.
N touches a lot but because she is understimed and needs to be heightened. Or *picked up* she rubs peoples faces, loves bald heads, whiskers. Fabrics, textures etc... she tastes things smells things. These are all Sensory things for both of my kids but manifest in different ways.
It might be worth checking out.