Why??? I miss .....

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
I am an old-timer, though not as long as some, and remember the abbreviations we used. Now I can type Gift from God but when I hit enter, the words magically change to something I didn't want to write. While my son used to be and still can be "difficult", he is no longer what I would call a difficult child. And while he has been a challenge and we have been through hell to get him where he is now, he really truly is a gift because he has taught me SO much, including that I am a lot stronger than I ever thought possible.

I also miss the terms like warrior mom, rhino skin, juju, donning our armor (needed when dealing with schools primarily), and even Star's "nekkid chicken dance".

I'm glad to see there are still some of the people here that I remember. This board helped me keep my sanity when we were at our worst and gave me SO much strength. I miss the "old" board but love that this one is still here. Guess I'm feeling a little nostalgic.

FlowerGarden

Glad to hear your son is not as difficult as he once was. I miss the old wording also. I remember being so depressed one day while talking to a therapist that I made a comment that if my Difficult Child was my first I probably wouldn't have had anymore children. The therapist replied with, "that is why God gave him to you last". So to me, Gift from God was truly fitting. Finding this site was a blessing for me. I've learned so much and have been given such great advice.

BusynMember

I miss the old the culture we had, the gun, and the cliseness. This year was the first year nobody sent christmas cards.

I love the people here now, but miss the oldtimers.

InsaneCdn

I'm noticing in the last year or so that fewer of "us" are gung-ho Christmas fans, which might explain part of the Christmas Card list failure-to-launch this year. Plus, there were a couple of members back then that "ran" it, and that helped keep it going too.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Nice to see you TeDo! I'm so glad your son is doing well! Mine is also much better and I also have learned a ton from him. He still has some challenges but has improved so much!

PonyGirl65

Hey TeDo! I miss the old abbreviations, too and asked the same question when I first came back last month. I found the way around it...I just type the age after the Gift from God initials :) GFG31 is certainly far from childhood! I miss the old crew, too, but have found plenty of new friends here! I hope you find the same.

Peace

muttmeister

I'm an old timer and I miss the old nomenclature too. I always felt that calling our kids Gifts from God indicated that they were so much more than just difficult children.
I participated in the Christmas cards every year and I really missed it this year.
I try really hard not to be an old fart and complain about how things change and that they are not as good as they used to be but, on this, I feel that way for sure.

BusynMember

Well...it WAS a culture with our own words and traditions and we were not afraid to meet. Im so sorry to this day that I didnt go when one year we met in chicago. I never dreamed the meet ups would stop. And the joking. And the morning thread. That all this stopped is recent, really. I'll bet that old crowd is still enjoying Christmases :)

My kids are all well now too but I still hang in there for old times sake, but even some newer comers that I really enjoyed like recovering enabler dont really post anymore.

Bummer.

muttmeister

I went to the get together we had in Las Vegas. It must have been about 2003 or 2004. Doesn't really seem that long ago. It does seem that we've lost touch but I attributed it mostly to the fact that my kids are grown and, at least one of them is getting along fine. The other one not so much but that's another story. To me, he is still a Gift from God.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The first year I was here, was the Cleveland gathering. I really enjoyed it - Belle went with me!

Some of us still talk, just not here... Mostly on facebook. It's really hard, sometimes... Well, TeDo, you know that!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
It would be difficult for me due to social anxiety and general autistic-ness which makes me very awkward in groups of people, but if a meet-up were held within a few hours drive, I think (finances permitting) that I would like to attend.

pigless in VA

That's a shame. This is a much better forum for discussing issues due to the privacy and the fact that the programming works correctly. Thanks runaway bunny for continuing to provide a place for people to discuss personal issues privately. Thanks for giving us such great tools to communicate. I am on Facebook, but would not want my dirty laundry aired there. I'm really sorry a bunch of people "defected" to take the party elsewhere.

Three Shadows, I can relate to your quote of always being on the outside looking in.

muttmeister

I'm on facebook but I guess I never found any of you there. I don't share a lot of personal info there but it's good to have friends, where ever.

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
There are a couple secret groups where NOTHING posted in them is seen by anyone outside the group. It's really kind of cool but I still missed some of you other "old timers". LOL So, I'm back.....