Why is it

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
When something smells bad it gets in the wood, furniture, floor etc and stays forever and something smells nice candles, cleaner, baking something etc goes away quickly?

Beth

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Interesting question.

I wonder if it is because so many bad smells, like those associated with animals, have to do with scent marking. I mean, if the smell won't last, then it's useless for marking one's territory.

What made you think of this question, or do I want to know?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
OK we bought this house in 2003. It is a fixer upper. I didn't notice any smell when we did our many walkthroughs. After we were here a very short time though I noticed this or that. After talking to some neighbors we discovered that before they started showing the house that they took 3 of the huge dumpsters full of stuff out of here. Things I didn't want to know about ie dead animals, waste of various kinds etc etc. As we pull down walls and rip up floors we are attacked again and again by these lovely (you don't want to know how sarcastic I am) aromas. I have tried every kind of air freshner known to man and then some. I am extremely sensitive to smell but I have seen the faces of people that come in so I know it isn't just me. So I generally don't have people over to the house. And this is such a slow process. We have several pets and truthfully when they have an accident (we clean it up right away) that smell doesn't even touch this house odor.

Beth

AllStressedOut

Do you ever watch "Flip that House" or "Realestate Pros"?

I think those are the correct titles. On one of them, they flipped a house similar in description in San Antonio TX. The guy who bought it decided only to redo the lower half of the sheet rock. I can't imagine being the family who moved in after this. But they hired a HazMat company to come out and use a specific sealant (sp?) to get rid of the smell. They said it worked, but the cost was about $15,000.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Beth

Unfortunately I do know exactly what you're talking about. One of our friends bought a fixer upper. Nice old house. But it seemed that for years birds would fly into the attic and somehow get trapped behind the walls.

If I recall correctly they had to tear out all of the walls room by room. (they were plaster) Then clean out the carcasses. Remains of hundreds of birds and rodents.(you wouldn't believe it if I told you) Then they put up dry wall. Took them a whole year to get thru the entire house.

Once they were finished though I don't recall noticing the smell anymore. But I do know it was frustrating as heck for them. Everytime they thought they had it all, they had to tackle another room. :faint: