Will he have gotten a haircut?

in a daze

I took him for a test last week and was going to drop him off at the barbers but they were closed.

His side burns are very long and he is overdue for a trim. He told me he was going to do it the next day, but he hadn't gone. He told me he was going to do it yesterday, his day off. Reminded him yesterday and he said ok.

Now I know this seems a minor issue compared to what some of you guys are dealing with. But I feel so much better when I see him and his grooming and dress are appropriate. The latter, except for the haircut, has improved a lot.

This, I think, is a combination of executive function deficits (can't manage his time, even when he has large chunks of it free and gets over whelmed easily when he has too many things scheduled) combined with some procrastination and laziness, maybe.

He got out of the hospital 2 weeks ago and is back to work. He goes to Intensive Outpatient in the evenings. He really likes it because they are teaching him mindfullness techniques. He downloaded some meditation apps on his phone and he is starting to meditate at bedtime. (I know some of you are big into mindfullness).

So I will try to keep it in perspective when he comes in tomorrow looking like a shaggy dog. If he is appropriately shorn I will be so happy! I will post back to let you all know.

dstc_99

Awww just pet the shaggy dog on the head and give it a treat!

Sorry I couldn't get past the imagery. I completely understand what you mean. easy child is currently growing out of what I call the bag lady stage. For about three years both my kids went through a stage 11-14 where they dressed like slobs. I hated it. It made me feel like I was doing something wrong when they didn't look presentable.

in a daze

Now he calls me and wants to know the "exit strategy" should he get anxious and want to leave. He lives 22 miles away on the other side of town. I told him if his sister wasn't ready to leave or wanted to spend the night, he could take the metra home and hail a cab the rest of the way. He said he didn't like that idea. Ugh!

I didn't ask him about the haircut. I'll let him suprise me tomorrow.

in a daze

He did get a haircut! :)

Personal appearance/grooming have improved a lot! I could tell that the anxiety was there but he was interacting with his cousins and was even talking to his dad for a while ( he had been giving him the cold shoulder for a while because dad refused to enable him while he was living here).

He did not have to leave early because of being anxious. Left with his sister.

I'm still nervous when he comes over when I have a party but he's been ok the last few occasions.