Windows 7

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I finally found my windows xp disc.......in Travis' room. I need to wash it and see if it will run right. If it does.......bye bye PITA Vista and hello XP!!!

I loathe Vista. Not only is it full of bugs.......it takes up a heck of a lot of room on the computer.

I dunno about windows 7.........I usually wait and see people's reactions to it before I make up my mind. But if it does what it's supposed to......and I can't get my xp disc to work.......oh, yeah, I'm sooooooooo buying it.

I had no choice with Vista as my new computer had it.

As for Linox.............It's ok, except it doesn't run ALOT of programs, no games. Nichole's boyfriend installed it onto her computer and she hates it. She's going back to xp.

flutterby

Fly away!
Lisa, you would probably have to have someone very knowledgeable in IT to take you from Vista to XP. All the drivers, etc, have to be changed. I was going to do that with difficult child's laptop until I discovered everything involved. I can be pretty computer savvy, but I wasn't going to touch that one.

Microsoft Products don't work in Linux, however Linux has their own version of Office. You can open MS files in it, but MS doesn't recognize their files...which is why I would want to keep Windows on my computer and have them both. Linux is more secure and stable than Windows. And it's free.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather............I'd copy all needed files to my external hard drive....actually they're all there already as I back up my computer that way. I learned the hard way. lol So....I'd wipe the hard drive clean and start over from scratch with xp........then just put my files back onto it.

But I'd have Travis do it. Not me. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
???????:tongue:????.:surprise:

Mares eat oat
Does eat oats
Little lambs eat ivy

A kid will eat ivy too shouldn't you??????:tongue:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OK am I the only person on the planet who doesn't absolutely abhor Vista?

It doesn't seem so bad, to me. I have it at work. I have XP at home. Either one works fine for me.

It's Office 2007 I detest. The Ribbon. BAH!

Seriously though - going back to XP from Vista is like becoming a time traveler that can teleport. This is just not something the average person can do easily. Heck, I know TECHS who can't.

I'd ignore the XP disc and just upgrade to Win 7.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I don't plan on going back to xp necessarily until I find out how people feel about 7. Plus.......after being in Travis' room for God only knows how long.......it may not even work. lol

Office 2007 gives you issues?? OMG I love that one. But then again..........I've been using that one forever too.......I can't figure out how to do a darn thing with the newer versions.

flutterby

Fly away!
Lisa, it's not as easy as wiping the drive and starting over. It's seriously a huge PITA.

I'm not afraid to attempt most things, but I wasn't going to touch it. You would have to have someone in the know do it.

FWIW, from those that I know who have used it (the beta version and that actual version), Windows 7 is pretty good.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
This thread is scaring me to death. My computer is 10 years old and is slow as molasses. Reading this makes me terrified to change. I am a techno-bozo; can one of you come stay with me if I get a new computer? :9-07tears:

Suz

Lothlorien

Suz, you seriously need an upgrade! What is the size of your hard drive? 10 years ago, they were like 32 gig and I thought that was big. Now they make them with over 500. Mine is a 320 gig. I had to upgrade becuase my 32 gig was filled and causing all kinds of problems. Now, the old one just has the kids games on it and it's in the basement.

DazedandConfused

I was so excited to learn of Windows 7. The laptop I'm currently using came preloaded with Vista. I do like some of its' features (like tabs and ease when doing PowerPoint presentations), I'm CONSTANTLY being booted off the web. My work place still uses XP and boy do I ever understand why now.

I talked to my sister, a Network Admin and hardware techie, and she says it's always good to wait and let MS work out any bugs first; don't run out and buy it when it first comes out. So, when she says it is a good time, I will definitely switch out.

Abbey

Spork Queen
My gosh...and I thought I was the only female nerd around. I think we need a support group for computer addicts.

Abbey