Winter has Arrived....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yesterday morning it was nearly 50 degrees......as it was most of the day. Then suddenly there was WIND (bent the trees right over!) and the temp bottomed out in record time, like in an hour it was in the 20's! Right now we're at 10 with a -2 windchill. Wind gusts are 40 mph. It's been a long time since I've seen a temp change happen like that, especially that drastic and that fast.

Right about the time easy child and I were about to head out to kroger again when Darrin got home (check them out pretty awsome sale this week) is when the temp started nosediving and the wind slammed us and it POURED like omg.........and that rain was frigid. We cancelled our outing.

Midnight the stray was huddled up in a corner on the porch near the door crying her heart out.......she was just barely keeping dry. She won't leave, no matter what.......and on the porch there was very little protection from the weather due to the winds. So I hunted around for something I could use for some sort of shelter for her, found one of mother in law's old clean trash cans (didn't even know it was still around) lined it with newspaper ( a lot) for insulation, covered that with an old terry cloth towel and put it out. I showed it to her and she didn't hesitate for a second to crawl into it.

It wasn't quite as horrible once that frigid rain stopped. She came out and ate......then the snow came. We've only got about an inch or so, so far. I'm feeling bad for her tonight, that trash can isn't much against the weather, but I figured it's better than nothing at all. Inside it she's out of the wind / wet......and it's small enough she can warm it up to some extent. If Minnie and Ebony joins her they can get some body heat going. I've been trying to get them a small wooden dog house, but they keep getting sold out.

Rowdy is all set, not worried about him. I knew what was coming so fed him early. He has enough straw bales around him he's gonna be warm.

Supposed to get more snow tonight and tomorrow and sat......I don't think it's supposed to be a lot in our area. (which always makes me cringe cuz the weather always seems to have to prove them wrong lol )

I did bring midnight in for a little bit and held her cuz she was shivering so bad. But I can't keep her in due to Bruce. Not that I want to start that anyway.

DammitJanet

I think it may be headed our way too. I just found Nina on my front porch which she never does. Either she jumped the pen or someone let her out, or the wind scared her whitless. Buddy scared me by barking at the door so I opened the door and the wind was howling. Buddy headed out and wouldnt come in but Nina stayed in...lol. She is camped out in on my bed right now. I guess she will go out when Tony gets up to go to work.

T

TeDo

Hound, we had the same thing and it's still FREEZING here. It was 57 on Tuesday (WAY above average), 20's (average) Wednesday with 40 mph winds, 10 degree HIGH Thursday (below average) with 20-30 mph winds and today the temp right now is below zero but at least the winds have died down to about 10 mph. If the whole system is heading your way, hunker down for another day or two. Maybe it'll fizzle out soon.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We got a bit, too. Just enough to be annoying.

Jett was complaining that they should've cancelled school. Yeah, yeah, yeah. For less than 1" of snow and no ice?! OK, it's cold - big deal. He's always complaining that he's too hot to wear a coat. So.

BusynMember

We got about five inches of snow and I work on a school bus most days. The bus was sliding all over the road! I hear Chicago got hit REALLY bad. Any news from Chicago?

buddy

TeDo, did you get any of the snow though? We got a dusting .... it was all gone by night. Now we have a dusting again this morning.... yes we got winds and cold temps but still no snow. I am worried for the farmers. Last year floods, this year maybe too dry????

donna723

We had the same thing here. Day before yesterday it was in the 60's! In the middle of January! Then yesterday morning it got nasty and drizzly. It just kept getting colder and colder and more and more windy and a few snow flurries that didn't stick. I was almost completely out of dog food and it's a 20 mile drive to the next town to buy more. It didn't look too bad so I headed out and bought the dog food and then went in to Walmart for a few groceries. There was only a few flurries when I went in to Walmart ... when I came out a half hour later it was like a blizzard! A complete white-out of blowing snow! A few minutes later it had stopped again! None of the snow really stayed on the ground but last night was miserable ... down in the 20's with enough wind to knock you over! My dogs wasted no time last night and made the quickest potty trips on record!

buddy

Did any of you hear about the place in Alaska where like 20 plus feet of snow is on houses and they have national guard and others helping to remove snow to save the houses. Can you imagine that? Any folks from Alaska out there.... hope you are ok.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's still pretty darn cold this morning.......and windy.....and snowing. We still only have maybe an inch or two, hard to tell the wind is blowing it around. I've got to make a cigarette run in a few. No biggie, I'd have to clean off the car to go to easy child's later today anyway. Midnight is at the back of her trashcan. So it must be doing something to help keep her warm. Really ticks me off people do this to animals. The other seasons aren't so bad, but winter is miserable for them at best, deadly at the worst.

Dunno how much snow we're supposed to get. But there is plenty of food in the house, so I'm good to go that way. I'm sure both Darrin and Aubrey are hoping for several inches, they've been chomping at the bit to try out their new snowman making kits. lol

I know someone from one of the towns hit hard in Alaska. Neighbors have been constantly digging each other out, there have been roof collapses all over town. Her's is sagging but so far not collapsed. I think she said she's using her wood stove ect because there are power issues. Due to the folks in alaska, I'll be hard pressed to complain much about the snow we get. whew omg!

Nancy

Hi Lisa, yes winter has hit northern Ohio hard too. Very cold 15, a lot of snow, streets are horrible. Worried about easy child and difficult child and husband all driving to work, made them all call or text when they got there.

My difficult child works in an animal emergency clinic and often times people bring strays in to get them out of the weather. They try to find homes for them or send them to no kill shelters. Do you have anything like that around you?

Nancy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Unfortunately this area is so overrun with strays, especially cats, the vets refuse to take them in. Even the pound won't take them. The no kill shelter only has room for a very small amount, and I mean like 12 is stretching it and they're always full in the cat dept.

easy child has her own litter (and I say litter cuz they get dumped that way) of strays, we share Buddy, the stray who was hit by a car has a deformed broken jaw and leg now (he was already "healed" when he showed up poor guy) and between us make sure the other cats let him eat plenty it takes him so long to eat, and I have my litters of strays......minnie is from one litter, midnight, ebony are from another and are still kittens won't be a year old til spring. I swear there is someone in this neighborhood who won't fix their cat/cats and keeps letting them have litter after litter......then dump the litter to the outdoors to fend for themselves at 8-10 wks of age. They are always super people friendly and expect to be brought inside, and more than a tad traumatized at being out. I had 2 litters dumped on me last year. One litter I managed to find homes for, they all went together to the same house. I'd like to find this person who does this and beat them to a pulp, personally. And I don't even LIKE cats. But what their doing is cruel and heartless. It doesn't cost that much to spay your animal.

Our roads were ok. I was worried about easy child's trip to work cuz she leaves so very early and has to drive so far. But she reported clear roads for a change. :)

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm heading to Pittsburgh for a funeral tomorrow. I go from wearing a fleece with a sweatshirt over it to the serious winter clothes. I'm a snow driving wimp now so I'm hoping the roads will be cleared. (5th funeral in 7 months) before I hadn't been to a funeral in probably 15 yrs. Sheesh. Stay warm and dry. Poor strays. I'll never understand why people allow them to breed only to be ignored, mistreated and neglected. Sometimes animals are more empathetic than people.

Last edited:

trinityroyal

Has it ever!

:sled:
I was supposed to work in one of our regional offices today, just on the near edge of the snow belt:frostbite:. Last night, I rearranged my schedule so that I could work at home today. Looked out the window this morning at the 6-foot-high snow pile that used to be my car (I'm assuming my little car is under there somewhere), and was VERY glad of my decision.

Snow has been very light so far this year, so despite the fact that this is CANADA (Great White North, land of snow and ice and all that jazz), it seems that people forget how to drive in winter Every. Single. Year. Driving 150 km on the highway INTO the heavy snow region on the first day of a big dump is just not my idea of a good time.

:snowing:

Trinity

InsaneCdn

Our turn... Snow over the weekend - first good dump all winter. Good thing THAT didn't land on Monday morning!
... and next up is our other friend, COLD. As in, REALLY cold. The weatherman says we might even get close to -40 this week before windchill.
Yes, YOUR -40... because the two scales cross at -40, -40C = -40F = doggone cold no matter what the thermometer says.
In fact, by that point, the thermometer doesn't say much of anything - it freezes solid somewhere around -30.

So... enjoy your nice warm weather, the rest of you.
Gotta go put another "log on the fire". <wink>

(and gotta get ready for a week of cabin fever... even the dogs will be going insane before we get through the week!)

DammitJanet

Considering what I live in, and the fact that Buck messed up my duct work, I dont think we would live through -40. I dont think mobile homes I built for those temps.