Winter Weather- Check In Please

T

TeDo

We are in the middle of a 24 hour BLIZZARD. So much snow and so much wind. When this finally ends late tonight we get to deal with two days of highs below 0. We are watching movies, eating popcorn, drinking hot chocolate, and might even do some Christmas baking today. Not much else to do until someone comes to dig us out of drifts up to my waist sometime tomorrow (if they don't freeze trying).

The boys and I rented 3 movies from RedBox last night. I called the customer service number to ask if I will be charged for an extra night because the entire town is shut down and NO way for me to return them by 9:00 tonight. The guy I talked to said that I will be charged but because I called he would make a note to my account so I will get credited the extra charges when I call them after I return them. Thank God some companies "allow" for the forces of Mother Nature. I am so glad I called.

How are the rest of you Midwesterners handling the weather?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Tedo, I'm snowed in .... Lenny tried to go out this morning & he disappeared in the snow. Snow drifts up to my kitchen windows. I haven't seen it this bad in many many years.

kt & I are planning on putting together some Xmas cookies & put up the tree sometime today or tomorrow. Not looking forward to trying to dig out AND the bitterly cold weather (high of 0 folks) tomorrow.

Be safe all of you in the path of this storm ~ stay off the roads. Our interstates are closed & in some areas the plows have been pulled due to the conditions. Stay home & safe.

katya02

Solace
We'll be getting it starting tonight, with, bizarrely, several hours of rain that will soak into the snow on roofs here and
make them a risk for collapse with the extra weight; then straight to the blizzard and sub-zero temperatures for at least
three days. Yikes! I filled the cars, checked the groceries, got the cats with post-surgery complications to the vet and taken
care of, and am preparing for another 2 - 4 feet of snow. Hope those west of us are doing all right ...

DammitJanet

WOW!!!

Well according to weather forecasts we are having a very cloudy, yucky wet but not raining day today with highs in the low 40s. Tomorrow with be much the same but temps will go to around 50 or so then on Monday we will get hit with cold for us of low 30s but sun. I have no idea what it will do beyond that. I like snow but I dont need 2 to 4 feet!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
So far....... ours is supposed to start by morning. Still how much depends on who/where you look.

I'm more concerned with rain/freezing rain that will be first than I am the snow actually. Don't mind snow as it just doesn't phase me. Takes a LOT of snow to bother me............but freezing rain, that is a whole other story.........I don't want a repeat of the first xmas we spent in this house 7 yrs ago with no power, no sirree no thank you. ugh

H

HaoZi

Ours is starting with rain later and turning into snow and blowing/drifting snow, winter weather alert is currently 1am Sunday - 1pm Monday. Can't afford to be off work if school gets canceled Monday, but it won't surprise me. Expected accumulation is 5-9 inches right now (far as I can tell they're never correct).

Fran

Former desparate mom
We started with rain today and the freezing artic blast is supposed to start tomorrow and getting colder and colder until the windchill is in the teens. What happened to mild winters. LOL.
It's difficult when everyone is so busy with the holidays.
My baby is coming home for a week on Tuesday for an early Christmas since he is working. I hope there isn't any complications with travel.
Tonight is the neighborhood Christmas party and it's going to rain on my hair. LOL.
Anyhow, hope those of you who are snowed in stay warm and dry.

muttmeister

it is cold and windy here - wind chills in the double digits below 0 but no snow so I guess we are better off than a iot of you. Hope you all remain OK.

T

TeDo

Ours started with freezing rain/sleet last night for a couple hours. Switched to snow during the night. I live in town and can't see the houses across the street. Have been trying to keep a path clear to our garage so we can get to the snow blower tomorrow. The temperatures have already started dropping. Churches are already cancelling for tomorrow and all the businesses in town have been closed all day. This is the worst blizzard I have seen in several years. Please, everyone east of Minnesota, be careful and stay safe. STAY INSIDE. This is a bad one!!!

DammitJanet

Fran...didnt you get a dusting on Tuesday or early Wednesday? I saw snow on the side of 95 coming home on Wednesday afternoon and the radio out of Raleigh said there were still from flurries in areas.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We have had a lot of rain today that is suppose to switch to freezing rain and then all snow. They are forecasting 8-12 inches of snow here. However, it seems almost like they are changing the forecast hourly so maybe we'll end up with no snow at all. Also, we are suppose to have very bad wind chills here after the storm goes through. Guess winter is here whether or not it says so on the calendar.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Janet, it has been so cold that if there was shade, the snow didn't melt. I still have snow in parts of the lawn and roof. Last Saturday we had about an inch and half.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
So far our official snow total is 16.5", give or take an inch or 2. The drifts in my backyard are waist deep & I can't get to my garage ~ yee hah I love winter. Where's LDM when you want her? I bet she'd love to help kt & I dig out of this mess. :frozen::blizzard::please:

Wiped Out

Staff member
They have updated us to a blizzard warning. We'll see-glad I did some grocery shopping this morning. Right now we have a fire going and candles lit-very comfortable. I'm sure that when LDM is done helping Linda dig out, she'll want to come help here in Madison!

flutterby

Fly away!
It's raining here now. Our advisory is from 1pm Sunday til 11am Monday, but we're only supposed to get a few inches; although, they are calling for wind gusts up to 40mph.

tiredmommy

We have had a lot of rain today that is suppose to switch to freezing rain and then all snow. They are forecasting 8-12 inches of snow here. However, it seems almost like they are changing the forecast hourly so maybe we'll end up with no snow at all. Also, we are suppose to have very bad wind chills here after the storm goes through. Guess winter is here whether or not it says so on the calendar.

This sounds almost exactly like our forecast tomorrow. Duckie's play closes tomorrow afternoon and then I have no plans except baking until Wednesday at 3pm. :xmasdancers:

witzend

There will probably be flooding here, but so far it's just been a lot of rain. The freezing level is going way up and the snow that everyone has been so hyped about in the mountains is going to melt and it could get ugly.

Andy

I am Northwest of the blizzard and snow. Lots of people on my facebook from Timer's neck of the woods describing their issues of plows being pulled, events cancelled, just plain snow, snow, snow! I am so glad the MN State High School bowling tournament that was held in St Paul was last weekend otherwise I would either be in a snowbank somewhere or trapped in a hotel (though the hotels we were in were very nice) for who knows how long.

I am not excaping the extreme cold though. Brrrrrr!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Those of you getting the bitter cold and snow stay in and keep warm!

Yep........we're still doing rain, snow expected around 3am. I've stopped watching forecasts although I have no choice but to go out in it on monday whether we get only an inch or a foot. easy child has to report to the hospital regardless of weather conditions.......and I'm her sitter for monday. husband is less than happy cuz that means he has to get up at 4am with me. I won't drive his Kia (piece of 4 wheel drive junk), which means if it's a lot he will have to drive me.

We'll get what we get. More than half the time the weather guys get it wrong anyway. Just wish husband didn't get his checks on tues and wed..........I'd have like to have been able to get in some food before bad weather. ugh

tiredmommy

Lisa, I usually grocery shop on Sunday evening or Monday morning but made a point to get out of Friday night. Now we should be set for everything through Wednesday and beyond...