Wisdom tooth is out

flutterby

Fly away!
It had started to break apart last week, though, and apparently there was some infection in the tooth.

IOW, they couldn't get me numb. Fortunately, it was already a bit loose so it didn't take long to get out, but it was long enough! :sick: I've only got one wisdom tooth left. It will be next. There shouldn't be a problem getting it numb - I'm not having any issues with it. Which is why I still had them (the bottom ones).

2 1/2 hours later, though, I'm still bleeding. I just called them and they said that it's possible to bleed for up to 8 hours. :whiteflag: I seem to have minor issues with clotting anyway, so I'm not surprised. I just wish I could take this gauze out of my mouth.

flutterby

Fly away!
Still bleeding....sigh.....

And throbbing...wow. The top ones didn't hurt like this, but my mom (she's an expanded functions dental assistant) said that the bottom ones are worse. I'm alternating vicodin and ibuprofen.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If that throbbing gets worse......there is a gel they can put in it. OMG heaven!!! Pain is gone within ten mins and never comes back. Makes me wonder why all dentists don't have this gel and use it for every tooth extraction. As gum heals the gel dissolves.

I get dry sockets way to easy. They like to blame it on the fact I smoke. Except I never smoke after getting a tooth pulled for that reason.

I hope it lets up soon.

Hugs

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm worried I'm going to end up with dry socket because it's still bleeding. The blood clot is what keeps that from happening.

If so, I'll be back at the dentist tomorrow. You can count on that.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Owie. I still have all 4 wisdom teeth. Ortho said they were the straightest ones in my mouth. Go figure. My problem is brushing my teeth. You have to go so far back that it makes me gag nearly every time. Flossing is a whole other issue.

Hope you get some pain relief.

Abbey

flutterby

Fly away!
Abbey, I had the top ones out 12 years ago, but the bottom ones weren't an issue in my mouth...until recently. All the medications I'm on cause dry mouth to an extent and that leads to more cavities. And with them being so far back and hard to get to to brush.....it needed to go.

It is still bleeding a small bit, but a blood clot has formed. There wasn't one there when I went to bed last night, so that's a good thing. That means the healing process has started and means no dry socket as long as it stays put.

The good news about waiting so long to have them removed? They went from going to have to be surgically removed to just an extraction.

I was rather attached (no pun intended) to my wisdom teeth. I always had a space between my front two teeth that my brother was merciless about in teasing me...called me "gap" and would walk around going, "choooo choooo" cause he said I had a gap big enough to drive a train through. :rofl: Of course, I wasn't laughing at the time. PITA. But the wisdom teeth closed it and keeping them as long as I did, meant that it stayed closed.