Wish Me Luck - psychiatrist Appointment

On_Call

Well, about a month ago I posted that do to unforseen circustances, difficult child's psychiatrist who he has had for 3-1/2 years, and who we really liked, was "maybe" not coming back to the psychiatric hospital and that we met with a new psychiatrist who "maybe" would come to a different diagnosis conclusion. And, that old psychiatrist had apparently taken some of her patient's files (including difficult child's) home with her??

I have a history building, extensive (she said the appointment will take at least 2 hours) meeting with the new psychiatrist tomorrow afternoon and it is consuming my thoughts!! difficult child has endured a new round of bloodwork and an ekg and has gone to see an opthalmologist to see what effect his medications have had on his eyes (no damage shown - phew). I have called the local pharmacy and had them do printouts of difficult child's medication history so that I can provide her with that. I spoke with the psychiatrist last Friday to make sure she had received bloodwork results, etc., and she told me that she had and that she had conferred with two additional doctors to get all of the input that she could before our appointment. I have pulled out my file on difficult child, too.

I think I am as prepared as I can be. During our 1 hour meeting in December, I really liked the new psychiatrist. But at the same time, it is like starting over - 4 years into the whole thing - and that makes me a bit nervous. The psychiatrist that difficult child had while inpatient told me that his anxiety "probably stems from some trauma that difficult child suffered - possibly even while he was in the womb". I cried. He was awful. This psychiatrist seems so much better, but . . . .

If you all could cross your fingers, etc., I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

BusynMember

Sending you luck and prayers. "Anxiety probably even in the womb." I feel for you. I think I would have blushed for the psychiatrist, kidnapped my child out of the hospital, and left in tears. I hope this psychiatrist is better than that one. That would have made me want to scream.

PiperThree

Oh Jaime, that was a terrible thing for the psychiatrist to say to you. I agree with MWM - i would have scooped up difficult child and left never to return. I hope your appointment today goes smoothly and without hurtful comments like that.

Piper

On_Call

Thanks everyone. The appointment is actually this afternoon at 1:00. You can see that I have been thinking about it non-stop, since I posted about it more than 24 hours in advance.

Yes, the psychiatrist that difficult child had while inpatient was something else. I was warned before I met with him that he was "a bit different". I have now been told that he was 'temporary' and that he was gone December 31st.

I wanted to grab difficult child and run - believe me! Especially because he had only been there about 12 hours and they had already sedated him to the point of slurring his words, etc., because he had had a rage episode. I hadn't slept in 48 hours, hadn't eaten, etc. It was horrible. I had to keep telling myself that he needed to be there - and then the following day, I made all kinds of noise about the psychiatrist. The good thing is that the psychiatric hospital is where we have been going for almost 4 years now and the staff all knows him, so other doctors I voiced my concern to stepped in and helped out the 'trauma' doctor. EEK!

I soooo want to be hopeful about this new psychiatrist that it is scary. I've been hopeful before with very mixed results!

I'll try to jump on the site tonight to let you know how it goes.

Thanks again - Jamie