Wish me luck

Californiablonde

I am totally freaking out over here. A bunch of students are planning to walk out of class this morning to protest Trump's inauguration. They are going to be marked absent. Of course it's my job to call all the parents and family members of all the students who are absent. Today will be a nightmare. I will have hundreds of calls to make. I am already not doing so well. I am in a mixed manic episode. Confused, disoriented, sleep deprived. I am going through a medication change but that's another story. I need prayers, good vibes, anything sent my way. I need to make it through this day in one piece!

mof

Momdidntsignupforthis
Sending good vibes...one thing at a time, u can do this. Today is being felt by many organizations.

Hugs

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Hang in there CB! You can get through this. I know it's a lot of calls but you can only do them one at a time.

You are much stronger than you give yourself credit for sweet lady.

:group-hug:

Lil

Prayers sent your way. Deep breathes...Take one call at a time. After all, that's all you can do - one call at a time.

Californiablonde

Thank you everyone. What's worse is most of my parents only speak Spanish. I can understand if their kid is sick, at a medical appointment, at court or immigration. That is all I know. I cannot understand any other reasons besides those. If these kids walk out due to protest, I will not be able to understand what their parents are trying to tell me. I will have to ask my supervisor to help translate. She will already have a CRAP ton of her own calls to make. She is going to be very pissed off at me for asking her to translate. You all know how badly I panic when somebody gets upset at me. Help!

Lil

CB, she KNOWS you have limited Spanish. I remember you saying that she stood up for you once about that. If she's upset, please try to keep in mind she isn't mad at YOU - merely frustrated by the situation. There is a difference.

wisernow

wisernow
Breathe Breathe Breathe...close your eyes and visual something beautiful like a water fall or summer sunset...and know that you are surrounded by love! hugs

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
She is going to be very pissed off at me for asking her to translate. You all know how badly I panic when somebody gets upset at me. Help!
Don't give her power over your emotions. If she gets upset for having to do her job that's on her - too bad.

Hang in there CB!!

BusynMember

Cb, how did it go?

If only kids could figure out that if they don't like something, anything, about our country, the best way for them to have influence in their own destinies is not to walk out of school (changes nothing) but to stay in their desks and get a good education. Sad.

I'm sorry this happened to you and to them.

Copabanana

CB, I hope your day went OK.

I think that supervisor is a frightened and weak person. Remember. We have her number. We cannot expect her to act differently than who she is. That she does not measure up to who you need her to be, is really nothing to do with you.

My battery is going dead here so I have to close. If something is said by a parent that you do not understand, I would mark, parent claims attendance status is unknown. You can say, Pardon, Senor or Senora. Su hijo ___ no esta en escuela hoy. Sabes donde esta su hijo (hija)? If they say something that you do not understand, repeat, "Sabes donde esta su hijo? Keep repeating this until they say yes or no. Si or no. If they say si, write down parent chooses to not disclose. If they say no, write: parent claims to not know where the enrollee is.

What these words mean is this: Pardon me, Sir or Madame. Your child __is not in school today. Do you know where your child is? This way you ask for yes or no answers and you control the questions. You just note yes or no.

If you keep repeating the same phrase, asking for yes or no, you cannot be faulted. The parent will most likely search for somebody to translate. If not, it is not your worry. Write Yes. or No.

None of this is your fault.

Last edited:

AppleCori

Cali,

I hope things went OK at work on Friday.

Maybe things will be settled down on Monday.

How are things going, otherwise?

Apple

svengandhi

I know that the episode is already over but if something similar happens again, maybe you can have your supervisor help you write out a script in Spanish that you can use? Something like: "Hola, senor y senora X... your child left school today after 1st period to protest or whatever..." I would venture a guess that the parents probably aren't too upset that the kids cut to protest although, frankly, I hate to think of kids sacrificing any moment of learning.

Californiablonde

God bless Mother Nature! It was pouring rain all day on Friday, and most of the kids didn't want to go outside. We had a few that escaped, but not many. It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. I am so relieved!