Wish us luck!

tiredmommy

There's a big winter storm headed our way:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM SATURDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM SATURDAY TO 7 AM EST MONDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

SNOWFALL WILL BEGIN SATURDAY EVENING OVER THE SOUTHWESTERN CORNER OF NEW YORK AND SPREAD RAPIDLY NORTHEAST ACROSS THE REST OF THE REGION OVERNIGHT. BY SUNDAY MORNING 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW IS LIKELY ACROSS THE REGION.

DURING SUNDAY SNOW WILL CONTINUE AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES. BY SUNDAY NIGHT TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS FOR MOST FOR THE AREA COULD RANGE BETWEEN 16 AND 20 INCHES.

OVER THE SOUTHERN TIER SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET FOR SEVERAL HOURS LATE SUNDAY MORNING AND EARLY SUNDAY AFTERNOON. THIS WILL KEEP TOTAL SNOWFALL DOWN TO 8 TO 14 INCHES.

STRONG NORTHEAST WINDS GUSTING IN EXCESS OF 35 MPH AT TIMES SUNDAY AFTERNOON WILL PRODUCE BLIZZARD LIKE CONDITIONS AS THE DEEP SNOWPACK IS BLOWN AND DRIFTED ACROSS AREA ROADWAYS. THUNDER SNOW IS EVEN A POSSIBILITY DURING THE DAY.

AFTER DARK ON SUNDAY NIGHT THE MAIN STORM SYSTEM WILL HAVE MOVED TO THE EAST COAST AND SNOWFALL WILL TAPER OFF FROM WEST TO EAST OVERNIGHT. HOWEVER, STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS WILL CONTINUE TO PRODUCE WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ESPECIALLY IN OPEN AREAS.

BY MONDAY MORNING THE STORM WILL LOOSEN ITS GRIP ON THE REGION AND ONLY LOCALIZED LAKE EFFECT SNOW SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED SOUTHEAST OF THE GREAT LAKES.

THIS IS A DANGEROUS STORM SYSTEM THAT WILL PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT IMPACTS ON TRAVEL DURING THE LATTER PART OF THE WEEKEND. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TRAVEL ACROSS THE REGION ON SUNDAY, IT WOULD BE WISE TO STAY HOME. IF YOU NEED TO GET SOMEWHERE, SATURDAY WOULD BE A PREFERABLE TIME TO GET TO YOUR DESTINATIONS.

A WINTER STORM WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SEVERE WINTER WEATHER IS EXPECTED. HEAVY SNOW AND/OR ICE WILL CAUSE HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. IF YOU WILL BE TRAVELING IN THE WARNING AREA YOU SHOULD CHOOSE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE IF POSSIBLE, OR YOU SHOULD USE EXTREME CAUTION IF TRAVEL IS UNAVOIDABLE

I'm in the 16 to 20 inch area. :cold:

nvts

Pleeeeeze tell me that you have all of your holiday shopping done!

Make sure: batteries, medications, snackies, etc. are in the house!!!

Good luck!

Beth

TerryJ2

Good luck!

Isn't Buffalo Native American for "Snow"? (Just kidding.) But you DO get a lot there. More than Colorado.

:rudolph: :blizzard:

tiredmommy

Poor husband may be cancelling his plans to go to Cleveland to see the Bills vs Brown. It makes me sad because because he doesn't get to do fun things that enough. :rolleyes:

F

flutterbee

Good luck, TM. Bundle up and have the games ready.

I miss that. We're supposed to get 6-10 inches which is a big deal for us. When I lived in Binghamton, NY, it was nothing.

My mother left Thursday for Chantilly, VA. She's supposed to come back late Sunday night. She didn't park in the garage; she parked in long-term parking. She drives a Chrysler Crossfire - rear wheel drive, big engine, light car. More than 2 inches of snow and it's useless.

I just called her.

"Mom. It's no longer a winter storm watch, it's a winter storm warning. It's no longer from 6am Saturday to 6am Sunday; it's 6am Saturday to noon Sunday. It's no longer 4-8 inches; it's 6-10."

My mom: "OH MY GOD! I'm never going to get my car out."

easy child, his friends and I are heading to the airport tonight to get her car. She'll have to take a cab home from the airport IF she can get home on Sunday. She only lives 15 min from the airport - no biggee. I'm an hour from the airport.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stock up and stay inside if you can. :cold: :blizzard:

Goodness.

We have a storm on the way. Yahoo says freezing rain/snow. Weather bug says floods/freezing rain/snow. Oh, goody.

Personally, I'd rather skip the freezing rain and take the snow myself. I don't want to sweat out another ice storm. :rolleyes:

(((hugs))))

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
American Red Cross Urges Preparedness for “Deceptive Killers”
Offers Wicked Winter Weather Safety Tips for Your Home and Vehicle

With the possibility of heavy snow, sleet and freezing rain throughout the area, the American Red Cross is urging families to take the following actions now to prepare for hazardous winter weather.
“Winter storms can be ‘deceptive killers’ since the majority of winter-related deaths are caused by events related to the heavy snowfall, high winds, and freezing rain that often accompanies them,” said , Executive Director of the American Red Cross in My town, IA. “People can become trapped at home without utilities or other services. Motorists can become stranded in their vehicles. Walking and driving can become hazardous. But people can stay safer if they listen to the advice of local authorities and take action to get prepared ahead of time.”
The Red Cross recommends everyone prepare for severe weather conditions in the following ways:
Get a Disaster Supplies Kit For Your Home:
• Three-day supply of water (one gallon of water per person per day for drinking and hygiene).
• Three-day supply of non perishable, high-energy food and a manual can opener.
• First aid kit and essential medications.
• Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio.
• Flashlight and extra batteries.
• Extra warm clothing, including boots, mittens, and a hat.
• Copies of important documents (birth certificate, title/deed to home, insurance policies, etc) in a water-proof container.

Get a Disaster Supplies Kit For Your Vehicle: (all of the above plus)
• Blankets or sleeping bags.
• Jumper cables.
• Fire extinguisher (5 lb., A-B-C type).
• Compass and road maps.
• Shovel.
• Tire repair kit and pump.
• Flares.
• Extra clothing to keep dry.
• Sack of sand or cat litter (for tire traction).
• Tow rope.
Make a Winter Storm Plan:
• Be prepared to shelter at home in case of severe weather. Have additional food and water stored to last seven to fourteen days.
• Have extra blankets on hand.
• Ensure that each member of your household has a warm coat, gloves or mittens, a hat, and water-resistant boots.
• Assemble a disaster supplies kit for your home and vehicle.
• Have your vehicle winterized before the weather gets severe.
• Decide how you would communicate with your family members should you be separated and unable to travel when a winter storm hits.

Be Informed:
• Learn how you would receive information from local officials should hazardous winter weather affect your neighborhood.
• Know the difference between a winter storm WATCH (a winter storm is possible in your area) and a winter storm WARNING (a winter storm is headed for your area).
• Consider getting first aid and CPR training in case you need to respond in an emergency before professionals arrive on the scene.

If the Power Goes Out:
• Do not use candles for lighting if the power goes out. Use flashlights only.
• Use items in the refrigerator first, then freezer, then non-perishable foods.
• Use generators correctly – If you have a portable generator and the power goes out, always plan to keep the generator outdoors. Never operate it inside, including the basement, garage, carport or near any open windows. Connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
Do not hook up a generator directly to your home's wiring.

Hazardous Winter Travel: The American Red Cross strongly urges everyone to monitor weather reports and follow the directions of local authorities. If travel is absolutely necessary during potentially dangerous winter weather, inform someone of your travel route, destination and expected arrival time. Store a disaster supplies kit in your vehicle and remember to keep the gas tank near full to avoid ice building up in the gas tank and fuel lines.
In Case of Snow or Black Ice:
• Stay with your vehicle. Do not try to walk to safety as you risk developing hypothermia and/or frostbite.
• Tie a brightly colored cloth (preferably red) to the antenna for rescuers to see.
• Start the vehicle and use the heater for about 10 minutes every hour. Keep the exhaust pipe clear so fumes won't back up in the vehicle.
• As you sit, move your arms and legs to keep blood circulating and to help you stay warm.
• Keep one window away from the blowing wind slightly open to let in air.
• Leave the overhead light on inside the vehicle when the engine is running so you can be seen.
• After the snow has stopped falling, raise the hood to indicate you need help.

In Case of a Flood:
• Move to higher ground away from rivers, streams, creeks, and storm drains. Do not drive around barricades . . . they are there for your safety.
• If your vehicle stalls in rapidly rising waters, abandon it immediately and climb to higher ground.

For more information about how you can prepare for a variety of winter weather-related disasters including winter and ice storms, power outages and floods contact your local Red Cross chapter or visit: http://www.redcross.org.

busywend

TM, batten down the hatches - it is going to be a bumpy ride! It'll hit here, too. The news tonight said 15 - 25 inches! Yikes!

Good thing boyfriend is taking me to dinner tomorrow and not Sunday night!

Stay warm!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather

That's a really thoughtful and nice thing to do for your Mom. I hope she's able to travel without much trouble. Six to 10? OMG You must be way up north of us.

Be careful and stay safe.

:cold:

F

flutterbee

Lisa,

I'm 45 min northwest of Columbus, in Delaware County. Usually when it says 6-10 inches, it means we're going to get 10 and my mom (in Columbus) will get 6. She called my step-dad, though, and he turned on the NOAH (sp?) weather radio and Columbus is only supposed to get 3-6 inches. I'd still feel better about getting her car, but she doesn't want me to now. She thinks she can manage.

So, I'll worry about it all night. That's what I do best. :smile:

I told her to have my step-dad listen to the weather tonight and if it changes to let me know and we'll go get it. My step-dad is blind so they only have the one car.

Star*

call 911........call 911
TM -

Sorry about the weather, but even sorrier your husband is a Bills fan......ack!

GOOOOOOOOOOOO BROWNS!!! CLEVELAND ROCKS!!!!!!!! WOOF WOOF WOOF -

Be safe -