Worn out...mania in my 10 year old is like a 3 year old on crack...

Chaosuncontained

Two weeks ago we took Carson off of Respiridone for his major weight gain (30+# in a year). We also took him off Intuniv because he was still SO sleepy in class after being on it for months. We did this over Spring Break.

The first day back at school he was in trouble. The second day, trouble. The third day they kicked him out. And we started the Trileptal. I kept him home (per the doctor) Thursday and Friday too.

I was called twice Monday--he was in the principals office. Banging his head on his desk, kicking his teacher, muttering "shut up, shut up, shut up". Not doing his work. Disrupting class by picking his nose and declaring he was "digging for gold". Rolling on the floor. Crying because his work is "too hard". I took him to his doctors office after school--no appointment, I just showed up. I wanted them to see this. He called in a Prescription for the Respiridone again...he has to finish school. It's only for two months. He also called in Clonidine (I have to research it). My ex husband went to pick up his medications (and pay for them). The Pharmacist wouldn't fill the Respiridone...because it was written to give him 1.5 after a week of building up, he didn't like the dose for a child. OMG.

Tuesday was the first day of the STARR test. Carson didn't do any of it--he refused. I asked about him getting to retake it later... I was told no. Carson has just failed the 4th grade.

He has ran out into the street, hid from me at the store (mad), and hidden my keys (now he says he doesnt know where he put them). He is literally acting OUT OF CONTROL. And this really scares me...

lmf64

no advice, just hugs. Tie a knot in the end of the rope and hold on for dear life.

oops I guess that was advice.

InsaneCdn

psychiatric hospital for medications stabilization?

And how can the school refuse to re-test when it's for a medical problem?
If the kid went into diabetic shock and couldn't write the exam or couldn't complete it... would they allow a re-take?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Oh my goodness!

First - I hope the medications get straightened out so you can have a break from the madness!

Second - seems like a meeting with the school is in order. Does he have an IEP? If not, Carson's inability to take an important test should qualify him for one...

Methuselah

Chaosuncontained, I'm sorry you are going through this.

In my state, the kids only have to pass the STARR test in grades 5 and 8. In grades 3,4,6,7,9,10, and 11 they can fail every time, and it won't affect their promotion. The school wants them to pass every year, because it is THEIR report card; it tells the state the school is doing their job. They receive funding from the school's score. Check with your state's education web site.

Californiablonde

Ohhhh I so totally remember those days. difficult child 1 was manic for years until we finally tried Geodon. It's the pill that finally made a huge difference. Now she's just what I call a "typical teen" (typical teen.) Some issues still but mania is not one of them, thank heaven. I so totally know where you're coming from and it does get better. Sounds like you need to find the right medications, but believe me it will happen. Good luck to you. Hugs.

buddy

I am sorry it's so rough. I'm feeling similarly right now. medications not right one out of control behavior after another and I am feeling like we need to go into lockdown to avoid chaos when we leave our home. I wish I had an answer to get them through it. The school response does not seem legal though. He must have accommodations and usually sp ed kids don't fail ...they have the curriculum adjusted. The negatives usually outweigh the positives ....try to look up any research that shows good outcomes with retention. I think they owe him extra time inc. Summer to catch up. Hope you can get an advocate to help. Sending hugs and positive wishes ....

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
They have an alternative to the Star test if your child needs it. They basically have to fail one to be eligible. I can't remember what it's called, but it should be written into your IEP. Instead of just taking the test, there is an aide there with them to keep them on track and try to figure out what they really know.