Worried about easy child

F

flutterbee

Yes, I know. Only *I* can post in the same week about being absolutely livid with my son and then being positively worried. But, I have an excuse. Teenagers rob you of any sanity you manage to maintain as a parent.

Anyway...

Devon has mono, as some of you may know. By our best estimation, he started getting sick about 5-6 weeks ago. According to everything I've read, he should be on the upswing now.

He's not. He's incredibly tired all the time. I could not wake him this morning. I let his alarm go off for 20 minutes (I'm a heavy sleeper and it woke me up - his door is closed, too). I couldn't get any kind of coherent response out of him and I stood there talking to him non-stop for at least 5 minutes. Waited a few minutes and tried again.

He's also very pale. Plus, there have been two times that it looked like he was jaundiced. Just his skin, not his eyes.

He has a doctor appointment today at 3:00. Please keep some good thoughts for him. I'm also worried that I'm seeing some depression returning. Actually, I'm pretty sure of it.

I have contacted via email a teacher he seems to have a lot of respect for (he had her last year, too), filled her in and asked if I could impose on her to help guide Devon at school. He's missed so much and is so far behind that he's overwhelmed.

I would really appreciate the power of the board here. I'm trying not to get too worried, but he's not himself.

TIA.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
{{Heather}} Sending lots of hugs, power, strength, good thoughts and healing thoughts to you and easy child.

It sounds like he's been doing too much. Once he feels a little better, he does too much and then his body is exhausted and he relapses. Kids don't seem to understand that even when they 'feel better' their body still needs to rest and take it easy.

When my easy child flipped her car and was all bumped and bruised, this after a stint in the hospital with a severe kidney infection, it was hard to keep her down and make her take better care of herself. She relapsed and went through an awful period of simple exhaustion. She wouldn't listen to anything I had to say so she learned the hard way. Even her boyfriend was expecting her to just bounce back - very aggravating!

Perhaps you could have his Dr stress the importance of rest and low key activity with him?

DammitJanet

Heather...5 or 6 weeks isnt really enough time to be on the upswing with mono. It may take months especially if he didnt spend all that time in bed. It could just now be catching up with him.

nvts

Hey! You may also be seeing signs of his depression due to the exhaustion. I agree that 5 or 6 weeks is too soon to be looking for an upswing. Keep in mind, that 5 or 6 week upswing is AFTER you discover the diagnosis. When he first started on feeling well, he didn't have a diagnosis for quite a while.

His dr. might want him to go on bed rest for a while to allow his body to heal.

OMG - would THAT be a joy??!!! :crazy2::goodluck::nonono:

Beth

B

bran155

I am so sorry. I can only imagine how worried you are. Kids have an amazing ability to bounce back. I am sure he will be fine. It takes time to run it's course.

Sending many prayers up for you and your son. (((HUGS)))

F

flutterbee

I couldn't get him up in time for the appointment, so it's rescheduled for tomorrow.

And now he's mad at me because I called him off work. Oh, well.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's hard to convince teen boys to stay down when they're ill. But he really does need to take it easy and get the necessary rest with the mono.

easy child is in my prayers. I hope he hits the upswing soon.

Hugs

Star*

call 911........call 911
Wyntersgrace,

I think it would be a really good idea for Devon to take this illness seriously. It can cause irreparable damage, and isn't just a cold or flu that he gets over in a week.

The paleness would be a concern and maybe he should get his iron tested too? Poor kid - YOU DID the right thing calling him off work.

I will CERTAINLY be holding him in my thoughts of get well soon and LISTEN to your MOMMA today.

Hugs

F

flutterbee

We went to the doctor today. She did an exam and said his liver didn't feel big, but re-ran blood work for the liver.

She also put him on a steroid taper to try to help with the inflammation and fatigue. His lymph nodes are still pretty swollen. As soon as she offered the steroids and told him what they could do, Devon jumped on it. So, he's sick of being sick.

His BiPolar (BP) was a little low today, too, which is not normal for him. I'm going to be keeping a close eye on him.

Thank you for keeping him in your thoughts.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well if nothing else, the steroids will perk up his appetite and give him back some energy! Hope he starts to feel better soon.